Dr. Lindsey 1 year out from 3000 up front on former hairpiece wearer

This nice professional had his first case a year ago. He's grown out pretty nicely and just had a second case which takes us all the way through his crown. He's local so we'll get followup.

These pictures show his nice progression. I have a pic of his toupe which he wore to his consultation that I'll post separately on this thread. I think we surpassed its cosmetic change and note the irritation of his scalp on the day of surgery... I'm sure, but can't prove, that hairpieces affect the success rate of HT....fortunately this guy just got rid of his piece and grew in nicely. Also the last pic is his donor area showing a good scar hidden by his fairly fine hairs that we excised for the second strip.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

7.jpg.9a170470cf4975f4333c75e11fbfd538.jpg

8.jpg.af04872c5debec5b4b4bcb5d8b71a9aa.jpg

12.jpg.16b75db0da9a7526e1d98234f6b781a8.jpg

13.jpg.c82e21926d1cfdaf92f9bc849b16b80a.jpg

121.jpg.6e9f04066523cc4473e41832f0ce75d8.jpg

122.jpg.33402b669d4a1321eff5a8d996361bc7.jpg

123.jpg.d800789e9fff38e7187dbffcaac769aa.jpg

124.jpg.60b88d59b9818ad5eec9be75d540cd7a.jpg

125.jpg.a626d50c889e02b292ef6a12fed6bc39.jpg

127.jpg.ad145ae3f1433e9edfada698515c938b.jpg

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

As is typical of these thin haired guys...we put about 300 singles along that hairline at the second case.

PLUS I'll post a new thread next week...I'm certain he let his crust get so thick that it pulled out 100 or 200 along the hairline with the first case. The picture crust lines up precisely with the couple of weak areas along his resultant hairline.

Despite that, yes he does look good. Way better than with that piece!

Dr. Lindsey

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Nice case. What was his comments on going from a system to a transplant?

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Hi Dr. Lindsey

Fantastic case. I have a question for you--in a lot of your photos of grafts placed just after procedure, it seems like they are sticking straight up. I always thought the idea was to place them at an slopping angle to mimic roofing tiles in a sense, e.g. shingle effect. I recognize as hairs grown the weight of the hair falls forward, but I wondered if the illusion of density was added by placing grafts more horizontally than is in your photos. Perhaps you could kindly clarify. Thanks for being such a great poster of your work!

Thanks

Hey Davis, you are correct. But look at this fellows hairs..they stick almost straight out of his head everywhere...almost as if he were holding on to a light socket. And that is the way he had his hair piece made...so my slits were a bit more vertical than in other guys. Good pickup. And his hairs are so strong...they won't fall over without at least 3 inches or some styling gel.

Spanker...I tried to scare this guy into laying off the rug. We had 2 really poor result cases both on hair piece wearers who "assured" me that they weren't gluing the piece onto my recipient area. Both were full of it I think...Wendy and I both saw what looked like glue and that irritated scalp (which you see in this guy's preop pics) in the areas that didn't grow. So being the fairly blunt guy that I am, I told him he'd be pixxxxx the money and hair away if he didn't throw the system away. And he did so 2 weeks preop and said it was "liberating" to be who he really was. Good question.

Dr. Lindsey

McLean, VA

Great work, Dr. Lindsey! This fellow looks SO much better transplanted than he did with his hair piece.

As you say, good catch by Davis91 of your good decision to angle the transplanted hair a bit more vertically than usual to better match the growth angle of the patient's native hair. Looks right on him.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys. I just emailed him to see where he is on his scar check visit. Like alot of guys, the first case they are way uptight and email/call frequently...then when they know the surgery will actually work...they don't show for followup checks even when they live 5 miles from the office. It would be great to get a pic right now.

Dr. L

McLean, VA

• 2 weeks later...

He just came by for a quick check. At about 10 weeks out, he's shed the grafts and has a bit of shockloss around the scar, but there are a few hairs growing through the scarline. Still its not visible with a fairly short haircut and hair that doesn't "hang" down significantly at this length.

I've asked him to come on and post and we'll get final pics next April.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

5b32e7285e8dd_150(3).jpg.5a8e29d8f52c5b098563fe16a7e323e6.jpg

5b32e7286d0d7_150(1).jpg.6f3feae2a3740118cf10147ca74dc1f6.jpg

McLean, VA

I just thought I would comment because I thought that Dr. Lindsey did such a fantastic job. I was content with the Hairsystem/piece and initially hesitant about moving to a transplant. Dr. Lindsey and his staff (Wendy and crew) did a great job. One of the biggest differences that I notice is that I don't have the hassle of having to maintain the system every few weeks and coloration issues. It is worlds better to just wake up, shower and dry the hair off. I just had the second procedure in mid-April and am waiting for the growing stage to begin (crown, plus a little more up front) on that portion. The most difficult part of the decision was getting rid of the system.

I had planned, before the surgery, to keep the system in place and then wait for the hair to grow in. However, after speaking to Dr. Lindsey I abandoned it about 10 days prior to the surgery and tried to calm the irritated skin. After looking at several options, because I wear a suit to work, the best solution was to wear a stylish cap. That worked best. For the second procedure, they worked on the crown with some additional up front (no need to cut the front hair to do this so no cap). It was interesting to note that everything grew from the first procedure except for part of a small area near the most irritated area where the system had previously been located (part front side); it grew, but was a bit thinner in that section.

The second procedure added a few more singles to the frontal area in addition to the crown. I am very satisfied and would highly recommend Dr. Lindsey. He is very honest and does excellent work. I think the key for system wearers is to get rid of their system perhaps at least a month before the surgery and use Aquaphor on the irritated area and get rid of the system after that. Dr. Lindsey and staff get 5 stars from me.

Looks like a cracking result from the first op. I was wondering if the irritated area in the hairline also had worse crusting than the rest of the recipient? I have heard different approaches to removing crusts with many post-op protocols advising gently wetting and massaging to loosen them from day 8 or 9. I find this interesting as some will say it's paramount to massage off crusts to avoid infection while other doctors advocate a less active approach due to concern that grafts could be pulled out with the crusts. I'm inclined to believe that any hairs lost in crusts from day 8 will likely regrow given no blood appears. I am aware of Dr. Bernstein's plucking study.

What I am basically asking is why and how do crusts affect growth?

I have a thread ready to post that discusses just that. I'll try to get it up this week. I am CERTAIN that crusts reach a certain strength and then pull out my hair....this fellow and one other recent guy were kind enough to be great examples of it. I can think of several more of our patients who had less than ideal outcomes....and did virtually no cleaning in spite of me telling them that the crusts probably would lift out the grafts.

You can lead a horse to water.... fortunately in this fellow its was just an area or 2.

Dr. Lindsey

McLean, VA

So here is the thread I just put up on that crusting extracting grafts.

Dr. Lindsey

Thick crusting pulls out grafts....Dr. Lindsey - Forum By and for Hair Loss Patients

McLean, VA