Hair Transplant Surgeons/ ethnicity

I am 25 and I am African American. I have read that it is most difficult to do FUE procedures on African Americans because of how curly the hairs are so that is why I would prefer someone who has lots of experience doing FUE procedures on African Americans. I have been using Rogaine since the age of 20 and early on it worked very well but as time has passed the hair loss is a bit more aggressive and the corners of my hairline has receded more but Rogaine still helps minimize most of the loss. In my last year 1/2 I have been searching for FUE surgeons that are experts on doing procedures on my type of hair and came across Dr. Umar. I have seen his work and I am very impressed but he is located in California, requires a lot of personal information that I would have to submit online regarding my employer, etc. and does not even take American Express(My highest credit limit) as a form of payment. I have seen Dr. Feller has been recommended as far as top FUE surgeons and his work looks good based on two photos I have seen done on African Americans and he is much closer to me only one state over in NY and I am in NJ. Any advice?

1) recommended FUE surgeon in my case

2) How soon can I get haircuts from my barber after FUE procedure

3) Planned on taking 2 full weeks off of work after procedure is that a good time frame, seen many people who have lots of dry scalps and scabs and I cant wear hats at my job

1) sorry don't know. I'd recommend asking the doctors if they feel comfortable extracting curly hair.

2) varies from clinic to clinic. Some will say you can buzz from day 10, others say you can buzz the donor after month 1 and recipient after month 5. Apparently there's a clinic that even says 9 months

3) Scabs should all come off by day 10. Luckily post op redness will not be that much of an issue for you as you have darker skin. The redness was def the absolute worst (and only) bad aspect of an ht for me.

1) sorry don't know. I'd recommend asking the doctors if they feel comfortable extracting curly hair.

2) varies from clinic to clinic. Some will say you can buzz from day 10, others say you can buzz the donor after month 1 and recipient after month 5. Apparently there's a clinic that even says 9 months

3) Scabs should all come off by day 10. Luckily post op redness will not be that much of an issue for you as you have darker skin. The redness was def the absolute worst (and only) bad aspect of an ht for me.

Thanks! that's a good heads up about the time period from being able to get my haircut

I wud look at Dr. Vories if I were u. http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/178431-michael-vories-md-fue-african-american-3100-grafts.html his pricing is $4 per grafts. Umar and Feller are like twice that price and ur not getting better work.

I wud give it about 6 weeks before you start cutting or shaving anything as far as a haircut goes.

two weeks shud work. personally, I wud steer clear of any FUT surgeon. especially if ur a black male. if the scar stretches it looks far worse on a black man then a white man since blk men tend to keep their hair really short. its not a risk worth taking imo.

I am 25 and I am African American. I have read that it is most difficult to do FUE procedures on African Americans because of how curly the hairs are so that is why I would prefer someone who has lots of experience doing FUE procedures on African Americans. I have been using Rogaine since the age of 20 and early on it worked very well but as time has passed the hair loss is a bit more aggressive and the corners of my hairline has receded more but Rogaine still helps minimize most of the loss. In my last year 1/2 I have been searching for FUE surgeons that are experts on doing procedures on my type of hair and came across Dr. Umar. I have seen his work and I am very impressed but he is located in California, requires a lot of personal information that I would have to submit online regarding my employer, etc. and does not even take American Express(My highest credit limit) as a form of payment. I have seen Dr. Feller has been recommended as far as top FUE surgeons and his work looks good based on two photos I have seen done on African Americans and he is much closer to me only one state over in NY and I am in NJ. Any advice?

1) recommended FUE surgeon in my case

2) How soon can I get haircuts from my barber after FUE procedure

3) Planned on taking 2 full weeks off of work after procedure is that a good time frame, seen many people who have lots of dry scalps and scabs and I cant wear hats at my job

I live in NJ too and wanted FUE also, consulted with Feller as he's close to me, but he pushed FUT for me only, from what I understand he does FUE but only as a supplement to larger FUE procedures, don't know if he's changed that now, finally after a long search I went with Dr. Rahal in Ottawa. He completely made it my choice, FUT or FUE, of course I went FUE and I'm happy with what he did based on what he had to work with. A big change for me. Of course there was travel costs to Canada which he gives a travel discount. It was only a 1-2 hour flight and I had Marriott hotel points so that cost me nothing...

When considering any FUE surgeon ask how many Afro-American cases they have done and study the results carefully. Keloid scars are more common with blacks which is another reason to look into FUE but the FUE is not with risks either. Keep in mind that if you choose a clinic where techs do the extractions you would have to know what that individuals experience is with African hair is. Dr. Vories does all of his own extractions and seems to have benefited from a learning curve as African follicles are more prone to transection which will drastically affect the ultimate yield.