shaveless FUE

After years of contemplation and reading others experiences I 've finally decided to schedule some consultations within the next month. I live in NYC and spoke with one surgeon who I was comfortable with. He did shaveless (donor area) FUE and PRP and has very good results. The idea of the surgeon being so close to my home seems reassuring but I just can't get over the price differences between overseas docs and what they are charging here. Considering the fact that I would have to take about a week off from work (or longer) which also means lost pay, it is just hard for me to justify the cost difference. I want to look more into some overseas docs but wanted to compile of list from you guys. Which docs also do shaveless FUE and use PRP?

Thanks for your input.

PS- I'm a Norwood 2-3

u wud still have to take the week off either way going to Europe or staying state side so I don't get ur point? be prepared to pay big money if ur not planning on shaving ur head.

will take more time. time is money. poor idea imo. u will get a better result shaving ur head. it can be done on small procedures but if ur a NW 2-3 then ull need probably 3000-3500 grafts. thats too many for an shave less FUE procedure.

if ur NOT ready to shave ur head to have a HT then ur NOT ready for a HT period! u will get a better HT with a shaved donor and recipient area.

That's useful information. I was told by the surgeon here that he could do shaveless as well as if I shaved the recipient area. However, I am guessing that is likely not the case with most other surgeons (i.e. the ones in turkey/india) from your statement.

I am not adamently opposed to shaving my head if that is necessary, just preferred not to if the surgeon was just as comfortable.

I was looking at a shaveless HT, or at least, the recipient area not being totally shaved.

From pictures I've seen, it's better to just get the whole lot shaved, otherwise, you're going to look like one of the Marks brothers, or Krusty the clown. :D

I think it's definitely better letting it grow back at a uniform length.

Hello friends,

Wanted to chime in here to state that the "no shave" is not really "no shave".....copy/pasting some details from the FAQ section of Dr. Bhatti's website below:

How many grafts can be harvested through your “no shave” technique?

We routinely do the “no shave” technique procedure for cases requiring an average 2000 grafts. The term “no shave” is a misnomer since it is a must to have hair awaiting extraction to be shaved down to 1 mm in length in order to accomplish an FUE procedure. However, these stripes (not to be confused with strips) are not visible due to overlapping of hair from above and hence the donor site looks the same after a hair transplant procedure. The common denominator for a “no shave” technique is long hair at the back of the scalp long- enough to cover the shaved stripes from where the grafts are going to be extracted. The following are the number of average grafts that can be taken based on given hair length over the donor area in an individual with 100 hair per cm sq- ? inch length- 1000-1200 1 inch length-1200- 1500 1? inch length- 1500-1800 2 inch length- 1800-2000 2? inch length- 2000-2500 It is impossible to extract more than 2500 grafts in this technique since the hair lower down over the neck are spared and so are the thin hair bearing stripes which go untouched. This limits the extraction of greater number of grafts. If a patient with the same variables were to get a “full shave” FUE, up to 4000 grafts can be extracted.

Best regards,

California

DarlingBuds FUE's profile photo 

North America Representative and Patient Advisor for:
Dr. Tejinder Bhatti, Darling Buds Hair Transplant Center, Chandigarh, India.

Disclaimer: I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.