Antibiotics - are they safe 4 months post op??

Tomorrow I will have to take a one-dose antibiotics pill. It's just precautionary after getting dermal fillers. I don't know exactly what antibiotic it is.

I'm 4 months post op. Is one pill a risk for my grafts??

Hi Zeoranger

Many patients take antibiotics post surgery as a precautionary measure and it is not a problem for the grafts. By all means see your clinic but I have not heard of issues with patients taking them and most take them immediately post surgery anyway and for 5 days or so although this may change with different clinics.

All the best for the dermal work.

I represent Dr. Bisanga.

Dr. Christian Bisanga is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network

ZeoRanger - for what it's worth, I was prescribed Keflex (Cefalexin) for seven days post my FUE surgery (as a precautionary measure). Two weeks later, I was put on a seven day cycle of Cipro by my HT Doc for another issue. Both are pretty darn common antibiotics administered for any number of reasons. Can't imagine my Doc would prescribe either if they would potentially adversely impact growth.

Yes as above, patients can be on anti-biotics for folliculitis or other issues and not aware of blacklisted ones and probably you will be given common ones also to take. Your doctor prescribing them for the upcoming surgical work should also be able to explain any possible issues but doubtful you will have any hair issues.

I represent Dr. Bisanga.

Dr. Christian Bisanga is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network

Roughly a decade or so ago, almost all clinics and doctors prescribed anti-biotics for their upcoming HT procedures. I believe this practice was simply a pre-cautionary measure for potential infections.

Yet infections are not very common for this type of surgery so in essence, many practitioners ceased the use of them. I also think that in the past decade the medical community began to see some clinical evidence of resistance to some anti-biotics. So the prescribing of them began to be more scrutinized in the interest of the general population.

Keflex was probably the most used for HT surgery. Yet over the past four decades I have not heard of any negative impact or trend that suggested that anti-biotics in general have a negative impact on the actual result of the procedure.

The bottom line? Follow the advice of your doctor who is treating you for any condition or procedure that he/she is performing.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Thanks for all the replies. I should be fine then.

I find living post op really tough because everyday you fear doing something that could ruin your results. I wish I could just fast forward the next eight months.

Update: I was given keflex 500 mg and felt ok taking it since it was mentioned here.

I'm also taking vitamin b, k and pro biotics just I'm case.

Vitamin C is also a good vitamin to take as it facilitates healing. And you can take more than 500 mg daily for the next several months...;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Update: I was given keflex 500 mg and felt ok taking it since it was mentioned here.

I'm also taking vitamin b, k and pro biotics just I'm case.

I asked this question of my own HT doc - you'll be fine.

Happy growing!