Help me decide: Dr. Koray Erdogan vs. Dr. Hakan Dognay

I think most surgeons will work with what you have. If donor density isn't going to create an 18 year olds hairline, you would like to think they would create something that will enhance your looks, while considering age and future requirements.

All those Turkish surgeons seem to work to a high standard. I'm in the same boat regarding choosing, but swinging towards Demirsoy.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm also in the same boat as the OP trying to choose between a surgeon in Turkey and Dr. Demirsoy, along with Dr. Doganay and Dr. Erdogan has made the final cut, still trying to decide though.

II think most surgeons will work with what you have. If donor density isn't going to create an 18 year olds hairline, you would like to think they would create something that will enhance your looks, while considering age and future requirements.

All those Turkish surgeons seem to work to a high standard. I'm in the same boat regarding choosing, but swinging towards Demirsoy.

While Demirsoy does some good work (I rate him somewhat between Koray and Hakan from a design perspective), he might not the right surgeon for my particular case.

His Clinic rep mentioned during a consultation that the Doctor does not offer 2 day sessions, and instead offers 1 day sessions of up to 4000 grafts maximum. His reasoning was that performing 2 day procedures isn't economical, and most patients don't have enough graft reserves for anything over 4000 grafts in 1 day. For those seeking more work done, they request the patient to come back for a follow up in a year, which isn't exactly an option for me. The fact they planned on leaving my vertex bald and only really focusing on the front/mid scalp was a letdown.

I think this leaves me with Koray & Hakan, who are offering upto 5000+ grafts over 2 or more sessions, and have done so successfully for quite some time.

Edited by HairToday2015

While Demirsoy does some good work (I rate him somewhat between Koray and Hakan from a design perspective), he might not the right surgeon for my particular case.

His Clinic rep mentioned during a consultation that the Doctor does not offer 2 day sessions, and instead offers 1 day sessions of up to 4000 grafts maximum. His reasoning was that performing 2 day procedures isn't economical, and most patients don't have enough graft reserves for anything over 4000 grafts in 1 day. For those seeking more work done, they request the patient to come back for a follow up in a year, which isn't exactly an option for me. The fact they planned on leaving my vertex bald and only really focusing on the front/mid scalp was a letdown.

I think this leaves me with Koray & Hakan, who are offering upto 5000+ grafts over 2 or more sessions, and have done so successfully for quite some time.

Understandable. Thanks for your input, it makes perfect sense.

I was in this position before going for Dr Hakan , not much between them except Erodgan uses more grafts which in the short term probably gives a better result (as it should) . He suggested over 1000 more grafts than any other Dr including Bisanga and Lorenzo , that's his method fair enough but i like many have to plan ahead for further hair loss just in case.

For you guys in this position i suggest 1. Research as many Dr's as possible.

2. Speak to as many ex patients as possible.

3. Listen to people in the same boat as you, not one's talking about things they are yet to do themselves ......

Erdogan does go for a lot more grafts than other docs and while that may be his method, I question whether it is always in the patient's best interests. Short term, perhaps, but long term not so sure. I prefer the less is more approach advocated by Bisanga, Reddy et al, but to each their own.

Erdogan does go for a lot more grafts than other docs and while that may be his method, I question whether it is always in the patient's best interests. Short term, perhaps, but long term not so sure. I prefer the less is more approach advocated by Bisanga, Reddy et al, but to each their own.

I rate Dr Erdogan's work too but if I had one question mark against him - it would be the number of grafts used and in specific areas of the scalp at a young age.

Edited by chrisdav

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

I rate Dr Erdogan's work too but if I had one question mark against him - it would be the number of grafts used and area specific areas of the scalp at a young age.

so whom should a young patient at a age of 25 pick? Dont want to use to much hair just so the doctor can put up a good case on the forums!

ASMED Clinic/Dr Korays reps take a while to respond, and sometimes they don't. You just have to be a persistent (IF you really want them to perform your HT). Also note that Dr. Koray Erdogan does not perform any of the Extractions or the graft Implants himself - His Techs do the majority of the grunt work. He designs the hairline, which is obviously his Forte. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Going back to my Email correspondence, the Clinic recommends that the patient take Finasteride to control their hair-loss prior to requesting a HT. They then decide whether to correspond based on your responsiveness to the meds. This seems to be a crucial part of their process.

In my case, I was rejected by the clinic earlier in the year due to not having enough grafts for coverage, being too bald and not taking Finasteride to remedy these issues. I emailed them updated pics after using Finasteride + Minoxidil + Biotin religiously for some months....and I was suddenly a candidate for a high-density transplant.

To be honest, I responded REALLY well to these meds - My family and close friends noticed visible improvement in my hair-density, thickness, and rejuvenation of miniaturized hairs on my vertex ("Hey, I can see some new hairs on your bald spot!"). My results are based on 6-8 weeks of regular use, and this really changed my life. So if you're still hesitating about taking meds, supplements and topical treatments...DON'T! It worked for me, and I only wish I started this earlier in my twenties when I had amazing Hair! I could have saved on the approx 12-15k I'm about to spend on a upcoming HT this June. I am also lucky in a sense that Finasteride agrees with me without any of nasty its side-effects...but make sure you consult your Doctor first!. Anyways, back on topic ;)

As I explained in one of previous posts, ASMED Clinic/Dr Koray's recommendation was 500-1200 grafts more than what Dr. Hakan recommended (I received 2 graft quotes from Hakan based on pics I emailed him over a few months). Dr. Korays quotes were also around 1500-1800 more than what 2 other surgeons recommended (Dr. Demirsoy and Dr. Civas).

Question for those reading this Post: Which HT Surgeon is more hands-on during the procedure? Are most of the recommended docs now using Tech's for the grunt work? Thanks again for reading.

Edited by HairToday2015

As a 28 year old NW5 you can't afford to go aggressive from the start. Someone was making the argument that milliions of men keep their hair till they die. This is true but HUNDREDS of millions of men dont. Regardless, you can't look like those millions of men because of donor hair limitations. Having a low and aggressive hairline takes away from the crown which requires more grafts than the front. There are always exceptions to the rule but I don't think it is safe to assume you are that exception. Go the safe route, get your result, then decide if you want to lower your hairline later. You can always lower a hairline, you can never take it back up.

so whom should a young patient at a age of 25 pick? Dont want to use to much hair just so the doctor can put up a good case on the forums!

I would like to think any reputable surgeon, during consultation, would take into consideration, your age, family history, possibly future needs and donor supply when planning your hair transplant.

I wouldn't like to see any compromising on basic ethics, just to promote their website/clinic.

As a 28 year old NW5 you can't afford to go aggressive from the start. Someone was making the argument that milliions of men keep their hair till they die. This is true but HUNDREDS of millions of men dont. Regardless, you can't look like those millions of men because of donor hair limitations. Having a low and aggressive hairline takes away from the crown which requires more grafts than the front. There are always exceptions to the rule but I don't think it is safe to assume you are that exception. Go the safe route, get your result, then decide if you want to lower your hairline later. You can always lower a hairline, you can never take it back up.

I have to agree with you about not going too-aggressive in my first HT, especially with the Hairline. Since I was a Norwood 4/5v looking more like a early-stage Norwood 4 (with meds & supplements), I've been considering a more balanced HT that makes my hairline look natural and improves the Vertex.

Regarding the Hairline design, my frontal hairloss is mostly in the temple regions, so my natural hairline from my early twenties is somewhat intact and should serve as a good reference when designing the new-hairline. I likely won't be letting the Doc lower it too much, which *might* present a conflict during the pre-op consult if the Doc insists on something else. As I mentioned earlier, I still have an average-to-semi large Vertex area that needs to be filled in as well.

Some Docs/Clinics focus more on the Hair-line aesthetics vs balanced coverage (Koray and Demirsoy fall into this category..the latter recently after my interaction with his Clinic reps).

As member mosd wrote: "Dont want to use to much hair just so the doctor can put up a good case on the forums"

And another member FUE2014 wrote: "Erdogan does go for a lot more grafts than other docs and while that may be his method, I question whether it is always in the patient's best interests. Short term, perhaps, but long term not so sure. I prefer the less is more approach advocated by Bisanga, Reddy et al, but to each their own""

While having a lowered hairline would be awesome, having a sparsely covered crown or a depleted donor area might be depressing down the road. Alternatively (and perhaps a last resort), you can opt for a Body-Hair Transplant from Docs like Hakan if you qualify. So if you're a solid Norwood 4/5 case who had a 3600 grafts in Front/Mid-scalp and 800 grafts on the Vertex...there is still some hope if your Vertex or other areas are lacking.

But this shouldn't be a reason alone to take the risk of going for an aggressive HT. I'm actually doubting whether Dr. Koray or another HT-Doc will be able to extract 5000 grafts during the actual procedure - So I'm considering lowering my expectations, which is likely to compromise my Vertex coverage. It's a tough decision, fellas...

Edited by HairToday2015

My opinion is this: I think you should wait another 1-2 years maximum before getting a HT if you're currently 25. And definitely be careful about who you pick for your HT; research their approach and study their results. Being a poster child for an amazingly dense hairline HT might not be a good decision in hindsight for obvious reasons as well. If you continue losing many hairs in a short period of time, a HT might not give you the long-term satisfaction you seek. Meds & supplements like Finasteride, Minoxidil and Biotin worked well for me over the last few months, so consult your Doctor or a qualified professional to see these are right for you.

Regarding recommendations for surgeons, I'd recommend you checkout Hakan, Demirsoy and maybe Civas as they seem to get good results with fewer grafts.

A good HT Dr should take all factors into account such as age, Family history, if your taken Meds & what is possible with your MPB at that stage.

I agree with Joe its better to have a higher hairline & keep as much as them donor Folicals in the bank for a rainy day.

As the saying goes.....you can Add but can't take away.

My opinion is this: I think you should wait another 1-2 years maximum before getting a HT if you're currently 25. And definitely be careful about who you pick for your HT; research their approach and study their results. Being a poster child for an amazingly dense hairline HT might not be a good decision in hindsight for obvious reasons as well. If you continue losing many hairs in a short period of time, a HT might not give you the long-term satisfaction you seek. Meds & supplements like Finasteride, Minoxidil and Biotin worked well for me over the last few months, so consult your Doctor or a qualified professional to see these are right for you.

Regarding recommendations for surgeons, I'd recommend you checkout Hakan, Demirsoy and maybe Civas as they seem to get good results with fewer grafts.

i just want to cover the tamples a little bit and some of the front. I feel like i need only lesser grafts to cover areas since my hair is coarse but maybe im wrong. Thouught about maybe use 1500-2000 grafts now and hopefully that should cover until im 30 years old.

Im on finasteride now.

got a response from them, they recommended 3500 grafts! Lets say i have about 7000 donor. (which is much) Then ive used 50% of my donor to cover only this area?

so guys do i need 3500!? Ir is erdogan killing it?

EDIT : in the mail its saying that my area to cover is 90cm2?!?

11.jpg.3b05bebaa6e099c9baecf307a15ab67c.jpg

22.jpg.f380727aeccf4cb7c8ba23782e275084.jpg

33.jpg.75dcdb383ab44f311d269742d2630720.jpg

44.jpg.dc10f7128b9d823a903347c09fcb1256.jpg

55.jpg.3ea21a91eebe80ea35b14b9f422853bb.jpg

Edited by mosd

got a response from them, they recommended 3500 grafts! Lets say i have about 7000 donor. (which is much) Then ive used 50% of my donor to cover only this area?

Based on your pics, 3500 Grafts is definitely too much for your case, and I'm quite shocked that you got such a recommendation. You seem like a Norwood 2 (leaning a little towards an early Norwood 3) with only minor frontal thinning and receding temple points. Your level of hair-loss is not even that bad!

You should be fine with 1500-1800 grafts (even that might be overkill in the eyes of some surgeons). I'm obviously not a Doc, but when reputable clinics have recommend 3500-4000 grafts to fix my Norwood 4 hairline, there is something really off when someone with a ton more hair gets a similar recommendation.

Even if your donor area reserve had around 4500-6000 grafts, you should be ok with a minor HT procedure (as long as you keep your existing hairs with meds).

Also, how many grafts were you recommended by other clinics? Please let us know.

Based on your pics, 3500 Grafts is definitely too much for your case, and I'm quite shocked that you got such a recommendation. You seem like a Norwood 2 case (leaning a little towards a Norwood 3) with only minor frontal thinning and receding temple points. Your level of hair-loss is not even that bad!

You should be fine with 1500-1800 grafts (even that might be overkill in the eyes of some surgeons). I'm obviously not a Doc, but when reputable clinics have recommend 3500-4000 grafts to fix my Norwood 4 hairline, there is something really off when someone with a ton more hair gets a similar recommendation.

Even if your donor area reserve had around 4500-6000 grafts, you should be ok with a minor HT procedure (as long as you keep your existing hairs with meds).

Also, how many grafts were you recommended by other clinics? Please let us know.

my hair at the top is maybe 3-5 thinner than the hair on the back and the sides but it stills cover up my hair nicely and not much people can se thats its thinning besides the temples.

Dr hakan told me that 2000-2500 would be enough. But that it can be lesser or higher when i see him in person.

When sent him new pics and said that i want to mainly focus on the front and the temples he said 1500-2000.

Im confused

my hair at the top is maybe 3-5 thinner than the hair on the back and the sides but it stills cover up my hair nicely and not much people can se thats its thinning besides the temples.

Dr hakan told me that 2000-2500 would be enough. But that it can be lesser or higher when i see him in person.

When sent him new pics and said that i want to mainly focus on the front and the temples he said 1500-2000.

Im confused

That sounds about right. If your hair indeed feels thinner on the front, 2000-2500 grafts would give you a very solid result. If you want to be a bit more conservative,1800-2000 grafts might also be enough if you can strengthen and maintain the thinning hairs.

Trust me, I'm also a bit confused. Even though I have more than enough funds for any of my top choice Surgeons, the differences in graft recommendation is driving me nuts. Dr. Hakan seems the safest, Dr. Erdogan the most flashy and some others who are quite efficient with graft placement are only making my decision harder.

That sounds about right. If your hair indeed feels thinner on the front, 2000-2500 grafts would give you a very solid result. If you want to be a bit more conservative,1800-2000 grafts might also be enough if you can strengthen and maintain the thinning hairs.

Trust me, I'm also a bit confused. Even though I have more than enough funds for any of my top choice Surgeons, the differences in graft recommendation is driving me nuts. Dr. Hakan seems the safest, Dr. Erdogan the most flashy and some others who are quite efficient with graft placement are only making my decision harder.

but the 2000grafts would not only be used in the temples right?

I feel like if i can get the density i have in the front on my temples i would be a happy man, my hair looks good when dry :) And i dont think i need 2000 grafts for that.

but the 2000grafts would not only be used in the temples right?

I feel like if i can get the density i have in the front on my temples i would be a happy man, my hair looks good when dry :) And i dont think i need 2000 grafts for that.

One thing you have to take into consideration is that the Doctor has to blend your temple-areas with your existing hairs to reinforce the frontal hairline, give the illusion of density/coverage and eliminate signs of early-balding.

For this, they might have to use upto 1800-2000 grafts, since your front-center area is showing some very-early signs of thinning. This could also be a predictor for your future hair-loss pattern as your grow older and/or if you decide to get off Finasteride for personal reasons.

If I were you, I'd make sure you to address your concerns in one procedure with a surgeon who is thinking about your future, and not just the present (I think many members will agree with this statement). You can most likely get a slick hairline with the right doc, but don't go down the 2500 grafts route either.

By the way, have you considered using minoxidil foam? From personal experience, I can say that works on the front/mid scalp areas along with the vertex, but not on the temple if its already receded. You can likely reinforce the frontal areas a bit with regular use, thus making it easier for the Doctor to give you a solid HT with a reasonable amount of grafts.

One thing you have to take into consideration is that the Doctor has to blend your temple-areas with your existing hairs to reinforce the frontal hairline, give the illusion of density/coverage and eliminate signs of early-balding.

For this, they might have to use upto 1800-2000 grafts, since your front-center area is showing some very-early signs of thinning. This could also be a predictor for your future hair-loss pattern as your grow older and/or if you decide to get off Finasteride for personal reasons.

If I were you, I'd make sure you to address your concerns in one procedure with a surgeon who is thinking about your future, and not just the present (I think many members will agree with this statement). You can most likely get a slick hairline with the right doc, but don't go down the 2500 grafts route either.

By the way, have you considered using minoxidil foam? From personal experience, I can say that works on the front/mid scalp areas along with the vertex, but not on the temple if its already receded. You can likely reinforce the frontal areas a bit with regular use, thus making it easier for the Doctor to give you a solid HT with a reasonable amount of grafts.

but cant they use my hair that i already have and blend that into the transplanted hair? Wouldnt 500 grafts on each temple be enough?

Im using minxodil foam in the morning and liquid at night. Been doing so for a couple of years :)

EDIT : in the mail its saying that my area to cover is 90cm2?!?

Looking at the pictures, I would see how the meds go, before considering a hair transplant. Your hair loss is very moderate imo.