Accidental proof that ketoconazole shampoo works.

Hey everybody.

A bit of background. I have been using regaine and finasteride for over 10 years but it has only managed to stem the tide of my diffuse hairloss.

In sheer desperation I visited three hair transplant clinics about nine months ago. They all said a HT could be done. After saving money up for nine months I went back to them to see who would fit my budget and suddenly they all decline doing HT. The reason being my hair was just a bit too dense now to avoid shockloss. One of the doctors looked quite puzzeled and had to look again. After returning I had a look myself on the top of my scalp, I see what they mean, it dos seems more dense.

I must say Im a bit unhappy that I cant get a HT, but on the other hand its nice to know Im doing something that is kind of working. I write "kind of" because it by no means solve my HL problems, I still have to use a lot of concelers to make it look presentable, but its a bit more easy to manage.

But what did I do differently? Well about 7 months ago I started using a ketoconazole shampoo (every secound day) and two month ago I started using Tricomin shampoo (every second day) and Tricomin conditioner (every day.). So the jury is out on what caused this change, but Im inclined to belief its the keto shampoo because of what I have read so far, thus my headline.

Just wanted to let you guys know.

Have a great day.

Pleasent surprise for you!, ketoconazole is an antifungal and anti-testosterone agent, so may be if your hairloss was due to some kind of fngal infection or may be ketoconazole is acting as anti-androgen reversing your hairloss, just my 2 cents. any thoughts hair experts?

My Thread: 

My shampoo has Ketoconazole, Caffeine and Saw Palmetto in it. A pretty charged up concoction! Very highly recommended by my hair doctor. Thanks OP...your experience is very reassuring!

Hair Surge Shampoo – Ultrax Labs

1,792 graft FUE with Dr. James Harris (Denver, Colorado) on April 2-3, 2015

313 graft FUE with Dr. James Harris (Denver, Colorado) on May 3, 2016 to make it perfect!!!

That hair surge shampoo you reference allegedly has a lot of fake reviews on Amazon and only has 0.2% keto which is much less than the amount that has been clinically shown to be effective for AGA (2%)

Hair Surge Shampoo has a lot of "good" ingredients. If you look at the studies on topical caffeine (which Hair Surge contains) it also has some impact on hair cycles and are very interesting. Topical caffeine is a stimulant so it helps the resting hair move into the next cycle of growth. This is similar to what Rogaine accomplishes. The small amount of Keto in it can't hurt. With any shampoo like this, Dr. Cooley tells paitents to use it as a scalp treatment and put a small amount on the scalp allow it to sit then wash it out with your favorite shampoo and conditioner.

Ailene Russell, NCMA

Clinical Supervisor for Dr. Jerry Cooley

Carolina Dermatology Haircenter

Charlotte, NC

Hair Surge Shampoo has a lot of "good" ingredients. If you look at the studies on topical caffeine (which Hair Surge contains) it also has some impact on hair cycles and are very interesting. Topical caffeine is a stimulant so it helps the resting hair move into the next cycle of growth. This is similar to what Rogaine accomplishes. The small amount of Keto in it can't hurt. With any shampoo like this, Dr. Cooley tells paitents to use it as a scalp treatment and put a small amount on the scalp allow it to sit then wash it out with your favorite shampoo and conditioner.

Good info. Thanks!

I rotate my Hair Surge with Nizoral 3x/week to get a stronger dose of the Keto in the mix as well.

1,792 graft FUE with Dr. James Harris (Denver, Colorado) on April 2-3, 2015

313 graft FUE with Dr. James Harris (Denver, Colorado) on May 3, 2016 to make it perfect!!!

Uh huh

"The road to success is always under construction"

:cool: I represent Dr Rahal and the associated clinic as a paid patient advisor.

I am also here to assist fellow Australian/NZ Hair Loss sufferers both on and off the forum.

Hair Transplant Surgery:

June 3rd 2011

2800 Grafts to frontal 1/3

By Dr Rahal in Ottawa, Canada

Current Hair Loss Arsenal:

Dutas .5mg every day 1.5 years and Proscar 5mg (Cut into 1/4): x1 Daily 10 years

Hair-A-Gain Generic Minox: x2 Daily 13 years

(Applied wet in mornings)

Other Random products put to use during my hair loss battle (not in use):

Spiro Cream 5mg

Minox 15%

Dr Proctor's Nano Shampoo

Various Herbal supplements

Toppik/ Nanogen

Saw Palmetto

Provillus - LOL

Nanogen Shampoo

Laser Treatments (Epic Fail)

10 long years of HT and general HL research.:cool:

*I am not a medical professional, I only offer my own advice from personal experiences and years of detailed research*