hair transplant by technicians??

You haven't seen Lorenzo aka "the robot" in action. Besides he only extracted 1800 grafts in MCR and 1400 in Madrid (the tech did the 500 beard extractions. Implanting with the pen is like playing the piano to him, all rhythm and pace. I have no regrets with my choice.

As you know that is a poor example of a surgeon driven clinic. You may have gotten his full attention, likely because you were a repair patient, but the average guy with a virgin scalp will get mostly technician extractions.

I do not know this to be a fact. Lorenzo is never passive during the day being in constant motion doing either extractions or implantations into the evening, the latter are all done by either him or Dr Vila. For what it is worth he stated to me that the extraction process is the least important and that his techs are as good or better at it than he is. I have no idea if that is true but those that had work done by his techs this year in Madrid are beginning to post f/u pics so we will soon find out.

I am not sure where we differ, my point is that he is fully involved throughout the long day, and does do some, most, or all of the extractions and definitely all of the implantations. I don't know what else could be said. We shall see if the results justify the way he presently conducts his clinic. Also keep in mind that while there may be up to 4 patients, there are two physicians working on their own respective patients independently. I can say from experience that while it is no means concierge service there, everyone is hard working and professional and the doc's demeanor can be best described as "intense and or passionate"

You are using Lorenzo as a model of a "tech-free" procedure, however that is not something that even he advocates. Point is, an ideal setup may well be somewhere in between "tech driven procedure" and "surgeon does everything".

Just courious, what percentage and who should do what in your high opinion?

always as a perspective patient of course?:roll eyes:

Point is, it's just you being pointless.

• 2 months later...

Longevita sounds promising. I know because I chose them only to feel very very very very disappointed and angry. They are the worst! Their technician did not even know what she was doing! terrible result.

• 1 year later...

Seems the "norm" in the industry is for the surgeon to do the graft removal and then the techs to do the subsequent graft placement.

In some cases with FUE at some clinics even the graft removal is done by techs (I believe Rahal has a dedicated graft remover technician for example).

The ones who do everything themselves (with perhaps some minor help in larger cases) are below. Feel free to add any I am missing. The reputation and results of these doctors speaks for itself.

1, Dr. Konior

2. Dr. Lorenzo

3. Dr. Keser

Dr. Nader appears to do most of the heavy work in the surgery and placement, with a tech doing the other side of the graft placement with Dr. Nader there close by based on patient reports on this forum (from aWindowsPeak)

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

Seems the "norm" in the industry is for the surgeon to do the graft removal and then the techs to do the subsequent graft placement.

In some cases with FUE at some clinics even the graft removal is done by techs (I believe Rahal has a dedicated graft remover technician for example).

The ones who do everything themselves (with perhaps some minor help in larger cases) are below. Feel free to add any I am missing. The reputation and results of these doctors speaks for itself.

1, Dr. Konior

2. Dr. Lorenzo

3. Dr. Keser

Dr. Nader appears to do most of the heavy work in the surgery and placement, with a tech doing the other side of the graft placement with Dr. Nader there close by based on patient reports on this forum (from aWindowsPeak)

Interesting, and thanks for the list :)

Do you recommend going to a clinic where the surgeon is involved in most of the operation or a technician driver clinic?

Interesting, and thanks for the list :)

Do you recommend going to a clinic where the surgeon is involved in most of the operation or a technician driver clinic?

If they are within your budget and you can get a surgery booking date, then I'd definitely recommend going with Konior and or Lorenzo. They are the best of the best but quite expensive for FUE.

It seems Dr. Konior is only doing procedures 4x week now and is booked more than a year in advance. Lorenzo is also bit difficult to book with I think.

Dr. Bisanga and ASMED (Dr. Erdogan) seem easier to get a booking date with 2-3 months in advance, so it depends on your schedule and budget.

Some of Bisanga's techs have been there 10 years it seems which gives some peace of mind. He does most of the extractions and of course the graft incisions, but the techs do the graft placement at BHR.

Think it's basically the same at ASMED, though not 100% sure who does the graft extractions there.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

This aspect is definitely a 2EachHisOwn.

Many see it as a negative that techs do a lot of the placing of the grafts.

I take the opposite approach.

I think if you have a deep, experienced, highly qualified staff then it can be better than the doctor doing everything, especially if it is a large procedure.

Personally I would rather have "waves" of fresh, experienced, talented techs working on me hour after hour vs one single human being going hour after hour after hour.

How is a tired doctor after the 6, 7, 8, 9, 10th hour of doing everything better than a fresh set of 3 highly qualified experienced technicians that take over in shifts every 3-4 hours?

I assume that some of these "do everything" doctors are not doing a lot of large 3500-5500 session procedures.

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

From my understanding from these posts, the techs are the ones that add the incisions into the scalp but the Dr. is the one that is making the incisions. Are all HT dr following this procedure or are there some that actually go through all adding each incision to the scalp? And if that is the case, which Doctors do this ?

It's the other way around, the surgeon makes the graft incisions sites and does the FUE graft extraction or FUT strip removal, but at some clinics especially in Turkey etc. the technicians remove the FUE grafts. Also at Dr. Rahal's clinic as well a technician does the FUE graft removal.

But the graft placement phase is basically done by techs in most clinics industry wide.

Surgeons such as Dr. Konior and Dr. Keser basically do most of the entire procedure including graft placement but they are the exceptions, and coincidentally are also "exceptional" surgeons ;-)

Edited by hsrp10

go dense or go home