FUE How to conceal the redness?

Hi, I had Neograft done and I'm on day 12 so it's safe to treat my head as normal, according to my HT doctor, however, I do have some redness that, according to what I'm reading, may or may not go away soon. Is it possible / advisable to conceal the redness with makeup or is there a lotion or cream to reduce the redness? It doesn't look bad in regular lighting but under the brand new fluorescent lights in my office it looks quite red. Thanks guys!

5b32e51dc30c7_Day12.jpg.ee94594cc4f41aad7552a605837eda85.jpg

No ideas? I've tried pure aloe gel which works but sometimes burns a little... I've tried some facial moisturizers which help a bit I think. Mostly, my head is hot, like a sun burn... I assume the blood is all circulating where the grafts were done which would explain the heat and redness?

btw, on day 14

Hi it took me more than a month before the redness healed in the Donor area.

I used Aloe Vera gel before going to bed and that definitely took away the burning sensation and gave me a good nights sleep.

3,400 grafts to the crown and front area.

FUE method at Dr Maral Klinik

HT done on 20th Dec 2014

I did use a little makeup sometimes. I didn't use it every day, but when I had an important meeting or something I would use a little of my wife's face powder. I just brushed a little over the reddest spots. It looks better, but still not perfect. You just need to be sure you get a shade that's close to your skin color. Otherwise, it will be obvious you're wearing powder.

What about a spray tan? Or self tanner. I contemplated using one of these but the redness wasn't as bad. The bigger issue I'm facing is waiting for the native hair to grow back to pre-surgery length, so I can go back to lots of concealer!

That's what I've been doing too, the Aloe gel actually feels good... I'm 3 weeks post op and still show some redness but not as bad as others I've seen. Aloe Vera seems a good solution.

This thread just made me realise that I hadn't noticed my redness for a while. Possibly due to my skin colour, my redness lingered for well over 2 years. Not to a huge degree or where it was ever a problem, but I could notice slight redness. It now seems to be 100% gone ... 2 years and 9 months post op.

I think it definitely sticks around longer than a lot of people realise. Though I doubt many people have it for as long as me!

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

This thread just made me realise that I hadn't noticed my redness for a while. Possibly due to my skin colour, my redness lingered for well over 2 years. Not to a huge degree or where it was ever a problem, but I could notice slight redness. It now seems to be 100% gone ... 2 years and 9 months post op.

I think it definitely sticks around longer than a lot of people realise. Though I doubt many people have it for as long as me!

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys, a check in / follow up. I borrowed some of my wife's concealer (liquid make-up) and tried putting some on the hairline where the redness looked the most pronounced and it helped tremendously. I actually went to Publix (that's our grocery chain) and bought my own bottle to have at work. It doesn't dry out my scalp or cause acne or anything. HUGE difference.

I don't want to freak you out but the advisor from my clinic told me NOT to do that because the grafts are still growing and "need oxygen".

I always thought the grafts would get oxygen from the blood stream but I would not go against advice from my clinic.

I did research on this a found a thread where a surgeon warned against concealers. Because they clogged pores slowly but progressively causing a mild infection which was not detected in time. Ultimately it caused a poor result.

I should add it was a toppik concealer not make up but I believe the concept is the same. Don't clog your pores - may be a risk according to some (not all) surgeons.

I think the main problem here is that there (as always it seems) is no solid research for a definite answer. But I'd rather play it safe.

I should add it was a toppik concealer not make up but I believe the concept is the same. Don't clog your pores - may be a risk according to some (not all) surgeons.

I think the main problem here is that there (as always it seems) is no solid research for a definite answer. But I'd rather play it safe.

Hi Zeo, thanks for that info. I thought about that before putting concealer on, actually. The concealer I bought said "Does not clog pores" on the label so I was satisfied with that but I should probably call my HT doc. I'll post what he says. I can say that it doesn't *appear* to clog the pores but I def don't want to do anything to mess with healing!

Most brands will say that their products allow the skin to breathe. But every dermatologist will say that's non-sense because skin doesn't absorb oxygen.

I think the real issue here is that in the healing phase the use of anything you put on could unnecessarily lead to an infection.

I think make up could work really well to conceal that annoying redness but there must also be a reason why it's not widely adopted for HTs.

My redness looked like a Batman logo tatooed to my forehead. Since I was forced to shave for the procedure it was a double whammy. I ended up using a flesh toned sports bandage together with double sided tape and wrapped it around my forehead. Just so that it would not touch the grafts but sit high enough to cover up the redness. Played the whole thing down as a minor sports injury that will however take a long time to heal.

Most brands will say that their products allow the skin to breathe. But every dermatologist will say that's non-sense because skin doesn't absorb oxygen.

I think the real issue here is that in the healing phase the use of anything you put on could unnecessarily lead to an infection.

I think make up could work really well to conceal that annoying redness but there must also be a reason why it's not widely adopted for HTs.

My redness looked like a Batman logo tatooed to my forehead. Since I was forced to shave for the procedure it was a double whammy. I ended up using a flesh toned sports bandage together with double sided tape and wrapped it around my forehead. Just so that it would not touch the grafts but sit high enough to cover up the redness. Played the whole thing down as a minor sports injury that will however take a long time to heal.

How long did your redness last ?

You also want to be careful as to not use any topical steroids so soon after a procedure. These include the ones sold over-the-counter like Mederma.

If post-op redness lingers beyond six months or so, then you can talk to your surgeon about applying a topical to the area because they can potentially work wonders in proper timing.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I used my wife's face powder from time to time. I'm not sure if that's different in terms of clogging pores, but it worked really well to reduce the visibility of redness. I'm about 4.5 months in and I've had about 90% regrowth already, so I don't think it had a negative impact. But I only used the face powder situationally (maybe once or twice a week).

Just an update, I am 7 weeks post op and the redness, while still there, has dramatically reduced to the point that concealer wasn't necessary any longer at work. I was using hypoallergenic concealer I bought in the makeup section on just the hair line (where there is no hair anymore) but I don't need it anymore.

I used tons of aloe vera for the past 7 weeks. It soothed the burning in the donor area but I don't think it did any redness reduction in the transplant area.

I hope this helps people who are considering HT. I'm still in the ugly duckling stage but at least I am makeup free.

Glad to hear that your post-op redness has greatly dissipated and sounds par for the course. On average it usually takes several months for it to reduce.

Now you can look forward to your regrowth...:)

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Glad to hear that your post-op redness has greatly dissipated and sounds par for the course. On average it usually takes several months for it to reduce.

Now you can look forward to your regrowth...:)

Yep! I'm very happy the redness is greatly reduced. Now just to get some hair growth...

5b32e5d9f23a1_IMG_20150425_0919232.jpg.d632a2a9c3a72313033be74e15ae44f7.jpg

Yoshi,

I think your frontal zone is going to look amazing!...;)

Gillenator