Male mid 30's looking to add cover to front, top.and a bit to the back.We knew he would need a further procedure to match his expectations and this has recently taken place.

He is on meds -Finasteride.

2600 FUG

380 1 Hair

1853 2 "

367 3-4 "

Mick

717109633_B11288251340E404649653E0C753E14C.jpg

807109633_DBFAB84C63DB1DBB2B233431FB56C472.jpg

817109633_632CC42A9D074DFAFE1A4649D1A3A430.jpg

907109633_0C29036DF15C845291D49C8CD1ADCA59.jpg

917109633_DC339E9968D181DB7960948A2BF3756B.jpg

117109633_873B3F492EDFD1F99D2CDB6A251DF2DD.jpg

217109633_01D9AE87BA740A4A0194293504933C13.jpg

317109633_1E1ED9E0029ACE46332B0250F9C8095E.jpg

417109633_B9EFAE97CE5AE3A11986885F323D8724.jpg

517109633_40EAC47073515E1727E62E7294E895C0.jpg

617109633_727933FC7DD7AA98E62180484A286EF6.jpg

707109633_4589E2320A3EF766AD994BB689FB853B.jpg

Patient coordinator for Dr. Bessam Farjo who is an esteemed member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

His results look good Mick! I'm sure a second procedure will thicken things up nicely

and this is exactly why it is so important to go to a clinic that is capable of performing big megassesions and try to get as much in the first pass as you possibly could. i'm sure that this guy would look much much better had he gone to a clinic capable of doing 4K-5K+ sessions. that need for "second procedure to thicken thing up" could be reduced to ~10% chance and not to mention the fact that potential of bad looking scar tends to quadruple second time around.

Thanks Bill,

Mr GQ,

I understand what you are saying but perhaps you maybe missing the point here.A mega session refers to a specific number transferred typically 2500 to perhaps 4,000+ follicular units.We certainly have no problems doing these numbers when needed and applicable.These large numbers are simply transferred over a larger area when and if that patient is a suitable candidate.Taking in to account all the background details ie age, degree of loss, family history, use of medications hair type and characteristics, scalp laxity etc etc In modern treatment sessions the average number of grafts transferred is between 40-50 follicular units per cm2. The patient you refer to did not have a larger surface area that would be needed to do say 4000+ units throughout first time .The only way to have got morer density first time was to have done perhaps 90 FUG per cm2 but this is not feasible.Hence the need for a further session for added density.I will make a point when possible of putting more larger cases up but they are the exception with most clinics rather than the norm.

Mick

Patient coordinator for Dr. Bessam Farjo who is an esteemed member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Mick,

nice result for 2600 units.

i think after having 2 HT's, the rule of thumb for us laymen is

1) understand what NW level u r

2) focus on the most important part of ur head -> hairline & mid section

3) after HT1 consider the icing on the cake by doing the crown

4) do the crown + tidy/strengthen up the hairline from previous HT.

Anyways this worked for me....extremly happy with my outcome after 18 months....

talk soon,

FS

i think i got the gist of what you're saying mick and it makes sense.

work looks good and i look forward to the finished product in the future,keep us updated.

2381 fut Dr Bessam Farjo

2201 fut Dr Bessam Farjo

2000+ fut Dr Bessam Farjo

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Bessam Farjo

challenge the unchallenged.

Mick, I tend to agree with Mr.GQ, although I understand what you are saying as well. I can also understand that sometimes money IS AN ISSUE for the patient and you have to work with what you've got. But for me personally, if I was at the same NW level as this patient, I would probably get as much as possible in 1 shot. I also agree with Mr.GQ about the scar, having 2 sessions will most likely make the scar worst.

Mick, would you say Dr. Farjo can transplant as much as Drs H&W in 1 session (if appropriate)?

i'm sure that this guy would look much much better had he gone to a clinic capable of doing 4K-5K+ sessions.

Mr. GQ and HairDew,

Many patients quickly become mesmerized by extremely large hair transplant megasessions sometimes referred to as "ultra" megasessions. Given that the number of surgical procedures are fewer in patients who are candidates for such large sessions, there's no doubt as to why it's often the procedure of choice for patients.

The problem is however, that many people are under the terrible misconception that sessions between 4000 and 5000+ grafts are the norm rather than the exception. While a physician's skill and the size and experience of their staff is vital to be able to provide this type of procedure, even in the most skilled hands these ultra megasessions are reserved for patients with exceptional donor characteristics.

I posted the below before...but I think it might be worth posting again.

-----------

I've seen a number of threads discussing the "best" doctor. To make it more accurate, replace the word "best" with "favorite" .

The more I study and read on hair transplant surgery and discuss it with leading well respected physicians in the field, the more I discover that there is no "one size fits all" hair transplant procedure.

There are so many variables that have to be considered. Some examples are a physician's philosophy, their tools, the size and experience of their staff, the patient's goals, their characteristic limitations, etc.

Additionally, "wow" results vary and aren't always within a physician's control. For instance, large ultra megasessions often produce a "wow" result, but not always. On the other hand, some smaller sessions have produced a "wow" result, even in a larger bald area. Why? Does it mean that a particular surgeon does better work? Not necessarily. What it sometimes means is that some if not all of the patient variables are more optimal in one case than another.

Whereas it took me 9600 grafts to get where I am today, I've seen other patients with almost as much baldness receive a result I'd be thrilled about with only 4000 grafts. Forum member and blogger "Glock08" (a Dr. True patient) comes to mind. Click here to view his blog.

So why does his result look so good with such a small number of grafts over such a large bald area? His hair characteristics were optimal! Sure, Dr. True's skill certainly played a major role in the natural appearance of his hair. However, had his hair characteristics been thin and fine, his result would appear much thinner. Natural yes, but definitely thinner.

Frankly, it's unfortunate, that quality doctors are sometimes chastised for a less than "wow" transformation due to a patient's limitations.

It would be easy for doctors to present only cases where patients had optimal characteristics. However, it's simply not realistic to expect that even the best doctors will always yield a "wow" transformation let alone in a single procedure. Some patients just have too much baldness and too little donor and thin hair. But some patients will be satisfied with a natural thinning look and thus, proceed with a hair transplant rather than be completely bald. It might not be a "wow" we all would like to see, but it's most likely a "wow" for them given their characteristics and the fact they have hair again.

I hope you'll keep all of this in mind when evaluating doctors in the future.

Best wishes,

Bill

Bill,

You took the words right out of my mouth or rather i only wish i could put my point across as succinctly as you Every surgeon will have a different philosophy to what they wish to do.Our session sizes at the moment are up to and just over the 4,000 mark but these are certainly not everyday.Again about the hair characteristics, Dr True's patient is a stunning example of someone who had everything going for him.Top doctor and right approach with someone who has excellent donor characteristics will equal a great result.I remember you mentioned about Adrian who we took to the live patient viewing in Montreal being exactly the same.This year we will be bringing five ranging from a single procedure of 2000 to a patient who has had nearly 7000 in two operations.Certainly one size does not fit all.

Mick

ok Bill i get all that and the gist of what you are saying, but let's not forget that there are only handful of clinics in here that are able and capable of doing 4K+ sessions with ease by just instructing a patient to simple do scalp exercises for few short months few minutes per day before that "judgment day". also let's not forget that those handful of clinics are dispensing those "ultra" megasessions like pez (sorry for stealing Thana icon_wink.gif ) while with most others you never get to see even 1, let alone few. so it would be very hard (and very foolish i might add) for me to grasp that concept and that the argument can be made by simply hammering the point that goes something like this: "ok it's different approach with different sets of circumstances with different clinics" (paraphrasing of course). while to me and perhaps the majority of this community it's so plain to see that some clinics are far more advanced and superior than others when it comes to patients' donor/session "management" and its size. i'm not trying to start any controversies or arguments with this as i'm preatty sure that this "megasession" issue has been discussed here before. so all i'm trying to point out with this is that there definitely is a big difference when it comes to choosing a clinic for a guy that is in his advanced balding stage eg. NW4+.

another thing that i would like to mention to all you NW4+ guys is that "money issue" excuse is the dumbest thing that i've ever heard and sounds very stupid to me. please if you don't have money to pay for your appropriate megasession, then please do yourself a favor and take a chill pill for few years or as long/short as it takes for you to come up with the money necessary to do a proper HT and thus in the process you will do yourself and your head a huge favor.

if for some reason you find the last bit of this post offensive for some reason, then please accept my apologies in advance as it was not supposed to be as such.

i arrest my case.

Bill, I hear what you're saying but at the same time I see H&W knocking out those procedures consistently. I do understand that it all depends on the physical characteristics of the patient, however; H&W produce those ultra mega sessions on people with higher NW level than this particular patient and I haven't seen anyone (at least on HTN forums) who were turned down by H&W to have a ultra mega session.

I'm not trying to knock Farjos, they do produce good results but unfortunately I can't put Farjos on the same level as H&W when it comes to session size.

ok Bill i get all that and the gist of what you are saying, but let's not forget that there are only handful of clinics in here that are able and capable of doing 4K+ sessions with ease by just instructing a patient to simple do scalp exercises for few short months few minutes per day before that "judgment day".

Mr. GQ,

In no way would I ever take anything away from leading clinics who continue to push the envelope to harvest a larger number of grafts safely in a single session. Hasson and Wong is clearly leading the way in providing these larger ultra megasessions safely and consistently.

However, a number of clinics provide ultra megasessions of over 3500 to 4000 grafts when appropriate for the patient. Maybe they don't hit numbers as high as 5000, 6000, and 7000, but sessions of 3500+ are becoming the norm for patients who are proper candidates. The majority of Coalition members are providing these ultra megasessions when appropriate for the patient.

But to simply say "he should have had a larger session" shows a lack of understanding of all the variables that go into play when deciding the long term hair restoration plan for each patient.

Best wishes,

Bill

Thanks Bill, I'll add this to my official list of Hair Transplant acronyms! icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Bill - Associate Publisher:

HairHope,

FUG stands for follicular unit graft.

Bill

Dec. 2004 - 1938 Grafts via Strip

Feb. 2009 - 1002 Grafts via FUE

A definate improvement, no doubt assisted by the somewhat "wavey" hair characteristics. A good yield for the graft count, but I do also feel that a larger session could have been more appropriate. Having said that, I obviously have no patient information, and if his various characteristics dictate this amount of grafts, then so be it, and this HT can only be ruled as a success!

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.