Trichophytic Closure after a 1500 Grafts FUT!

colad

Hello all,

I had my very first hair transplant in the first week of July of last year, and I have some concerns I would like to address. I will post a detailed review of my surgeon and overall experience, but until then, I want to ask a couple of questions.

Just to give you a background about myself, I'm a 26 year old male who had a minor receding hairline that started about 5 years ago. Ever since that happened, I have been self conscious about the way my hairline looked and I would wear my hair long just to cover the temple areas. For that, I decided to get an FUT (since it's much cheaper than FUE and for the fact that I have a very flexible scalp laxity). I'm not satisfied with the result at all (even though I may be speaking sooner than I should), but my main concern for now is my donor area.

In my understanding, the purpose of a trichphytic closure is to minimize scarring as well as getting hair to grow through the scar. I have done some research online to see other people's results and that's what prompted me to start this post. I saw results for men 3 and 5 months after their transplant, and their donor areas are almost fully covered by hair that has grown through the scar. I'm a little more than 8 months after my surgery, and there seem to be very minor hair growth in that area. I have attached photos for you to assess and hopefully tell me that this is normal and that the photos of the men I found online are not typical of most patients.

Please someone put my concerns to rest, and tell me that I'm just being hasty in my judgment.

Thanks a lot!

1.jpg.53ef3a4b2542b1130a7f132a6e050e86.jpg

2.jpg.b4950ffbd3e3511cdfa70a54ce9d5889.jpg

3.jpg.d8b2e5dc3390cdd125e6267cba67f52f.jpg

Someone needs to put together a class action lawsuit. So many patients harmed by these guys.

OP,

If I'm you, I seek out a scar revision and then perhaps FUE into your scar.

I wouldn't be happy at all with that scar. Until you can decide the final outcome or do a revision, stop wearing your hair so short.

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

Someone needs to put together a class action lawsuit. So many patients harmed by these guys.

OP,

If I'm you, I seek out a scar revision and then perhaps FUE into your scar.

Gram, thank you for your reply. Can you please tell me where you saw patients complaining about this doctor? Also, could you please tell me more about scar revision and how it works?

I wouldn't be happy at all with that scar. Until you can decide the final outcome or do a revision, stop wearing your hair so short.

Voxman, I normally don't wear my hair that short, but I cut it this short on purpose to be able to take photos of it and show it to you guys. It's indeed an awful scar!

=========================================================

Can somebody please answer my question though about the possibility that hair will still grow through that scar? or is it too late by now?

Check out the search function and type in "Colorado." I don't recall your doc being mentioned but I do recall reading about the clinic and many dissatisfied patients. I would also search 'scar revision." In the mean time I would grow your hair out like vox said .

Oh my, I just searched the word "Colorado" and found the awful reviews about this clinic. The sad thing is I did my research before I did my surgery, but I might have used the wrong keywords back then. I'm absolutely considering connecting with other people who have had bad experiences at this clinic and possibly suing them. I just can't believe they are still operating!

Colad,

It does look like you've experienced some scar stretching. Are you satisfied with the frontal results?

I ask because you have a few options for scar revision:

1) Undergo a second strip procedure. You can either excise just the scar and undergo another closure - with or without the trichophythic closure; or you can excise the scar and some additional grafts for dissection and implantation in the frontal scalp. If you want more frontal density, this could be a good option. If you are prone to scar stretching, however, taking a larger strip to excise additional grafts could result in poor scarring.

2) Place FUE grafts into the scar. Very questionable yield with this option. If the scarring is thick and very avascular (no blood supply), the growth will be poor and you won't obtain much coverage. However, it would likely result in less visible scarring if you are indeed a poor scar-er.

3) Micropigmentation. I've seen some nice strip scar camouflaging. In fact, I think it's one of the best applications of the micropigmentation (SMP) procedure.

Let me know if you have any further questions or need help!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Colad,

I don't think your being hasty at all. I to am having poor growth in my donor area after 7 months so i know how you feel. I'm sure you have already but have you addressed your concerns with this clinic?

From what the others have posted it doesn't seem like this clinic should be in the HT business at all.

Blake, thank you for the detailed response. It seems like the first option is the best option for me at the moment. I am definitely not satisfied with the density of my frontal transplanted hair at all, and I think another surgery will address this problem. Now, do you think I should wait at least a full year before undergoing another surgery?

Td06, I'm sorry that you're suffering from the same thing. I haven't yet addressed my concerns with this clinic because I keep telling myself it's too soon to see the results, but apparently it's way past due at this point. What are you going to do about your donor area?

Td06, I'm sorry that you're suffering from the same thing. I haven't yet addressed my concerns with this clinic because I keep telling myself it's too soon to see the results, but apparently it's way past due at this point. What are you going to do about your donor area?

Thank you for your concern Colad.

At this point i am going to have faith in what my doctor told me and wait it out. Luckily for me i have a good surgeon, Dr A and his staff has been great so far dealing with my questions and concerns. Hard to tell but hopefully its just temporary shock loss and hair will grow in soon.

Thank you for your concern Colad.

At this point i am going to have faith in what my doctor told me and wait it out. Luckily for me i have a good surgeon, Dr A and his staff has been great so far dealing with my questions and concerns. Hard to tell but hopefully its just temporary shock loss and hair will grow in soon.

Hmmm, that was my thought as well, I'm counting on "waiting" to see results, but I'm not sure I can wait any longer!

Colad,

Yes, I think you should wait 12 months before undergoing another operation. You'll probably have a good idea of what the final results will look like before that point - though you do see maturation up to the 12th month. However, it takes the scar a full year to fully mature. I generally think it's best to wait until the tissue is healed and regained as much tensile strength as it can before opening it up again.

You could, however, consult with doctors before that point. Feel free to ask additional questions! Hope I can help.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Hello all,

I had my very first hair transplant in the first week of July of last year, and I have some concerns I would like to address. I will post a detailed review of my surgeon and overall experience, but until then, I want to ask a couple of questions.

Just to give you a background about myself, I'm a 26 year old male who had a minor receding hairline that started about 5 years ago. Ever since that happened, I have been self conscious about the way my hairline looked and I would wear my hair long just to cover the temple areas. For that, I decided to get an FUT (since it's much cheaper than FUE and for the fact that I have a very flexible scalp laxity). I'm not satisfied with the result at all (even though I may be speaking sooner than I should), but my main concern for now is my donor area.

In my understanding, the purpose of a trichphytic closure is to minimize scarring as well as getting hair to grow through the scar. I have done some research online to see other people's results and that's what prompted me to start this post. I saw results for men 3 and 5 months after their transplant, and their donor areas are almost fully covered by hair that has grown through the scar. I'm a little more than 8 months after my surgery, and there seem to be very minor hair growth in that area. I have attached photos for you to assess and hopefully tell me that this is normal and that the photos of the men I found online are not typical of most patients.

Please someone put my concerns to rest, and tell me that I'm just being hasty in my judgment.

Thanks a lot!

Hey colad

Sorry about your scar

Please do extensive research before deciding if an excise and reclosure is the best option.

But most of all, do not feel that this MUST BE remedied with your next surgery.

It might take one but it may take multiple adjustments over a period of years to get the area to your satisfaction. But don't fret about the time, your donor is thick enough to hide it all as you are healing and /or saving for the best option

Whatever you decide, TAKE YOUR TIME in doing so.

Not saying I recommend this at all but check out this article as part of you research before you decide on your next step:

A Study of Donor Area in Follicular Unit Hair Transplantation

Best to you

Hmmm, that was my thought as well, I'm counting on "waiting" to see results, but I'm not sure I can wait any longer!

I hear ya man, its ruff not know if things will get better. whats odd is that my first procedure i had no issues with shock loss and the scar healed very well.

Just hang in there and hope that things will improve in the following months to come.

I had the same type of closure. And I also got a skin that is very stretchy. My scar looks just like yours, but I obviously wear my hair longer. After the procedure the scar looked very nice - but skin can stretch a lot. I have to wear my hair longer know and it sucks. I am not sure of SMP either as the scar tissue can cause the ink to look strange - I have heard. But perhaps worth a try. Have not seen anyone with a stretched scar and SMP that has not shaved completely. Would like to see how that looked, but very expensive procedure if you don?t know what you are getting up front.

• 3 weeks later...
Does the forum ever issue warnings, because I am pretty sure this place needs one. Stay the hell away from this place people.

Thank you for your response CaliHairGuy, and I agree with you, the forum should totally issue warnings about such places to help people avoid making the mistake I did.