When to stop Rogaine before surgery

I am having a fue procedure with Rahal at the end of March. I was told to stop Rogaine now. I have been on it with great results for 10 years and know that I will have a big she'd but will follow the instructions. I was wondering if all Doctors require stopping Rogaine one month out? And besides blood loss what is the main reasons. Thanks

Hi winthefight,

Rogaine/Minoxidil promotes blood circulation and flow to the scalp (to promote healthy hair growth to your native hairs). We ask that you stop using it a month prior to your procedure to minimize bleeding on the day of your procedure. Since we're making several hundreds to thousands of incisions to our recipient area, we don't want you to bleed any more than you need to. In addition, it makes it easier to continue to make the incisions during the procedure and allows for easier implanting.

To answer your second question, we would recommend you stop using Rogaine/Minoxidil entirely. If it runs down into your recipient area, it could be problematic.

Any questions, please let me know.

Robert Ha, Senior Patient Advisor

Dr. H. Rahal is a highly esteemed member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Rahal - Restoring more than just hair™

Current Hair Loss Arsenal:

Proscar 5mg (Cut into 1/4): 1x Daily

Generic Minoxidil 5%: 2x Daily

Nizoral Shampoo: 2x weekly

Stopping one month before seems excessive. I was told by Feriduni hair clinic that minoxidil could be used up to one day before the procedure and then could be restarted two to three weeks later. So no risk of shedding.

The average window period for stopping minoxidil pre-op is 2-4 weeks depending in who you talk to.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

If you don't mind my asking, when was you last procedure with Dr. Wolf and did you have FUT or FUE?

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

We are looking forward to seeing you in the clinic, winthefight! Equally excited to see your results!

Please let us know if you have any concerns or questions!

Any questions, please let me know.

Robert Ha, Senior Patient Advisor

Dr. H. Rahal is a highly esteemed member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Rahal - Restoring more than just hair™

Current Hair Loss Arsenal:

Proscar 5mg (Cut into 1/4): 1x Daily

Generic Minoxidil 5%: 2x Daily

Nizoral Shampoo: 2x weekly