My HTs with Dr Hasson & Dr Epstein

I asked Dr. Wong the same question.....Dr. Hasson believes that the underlying sutures can cause more scarring. Differences in opinions I guess. I'd say both docs have proven their craft, whichever method they choose.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

reading up on this subject on the internet, most comments are that there is very little difference in healing characteristics between suturing and stapling..negligible at best...having had 4 back surgeries in my "youth", 2 closed with staples, 2 with sutures, i can tell you that the staples are MUCH less annoying and painful than suturing..

using underlying dissolving sutures probably makes sense where the donor strip is fairly large, and closing the wound will be a bit tight...using the underlying sutures just allows a stronger bonding of the tissue while its healing...less risk of scar stretching...but im sure between Dr. Wong and Hasson, its just a personal preference,as I have heard no complaints from patients of either one, about their scarring...

------------------------------

4600 grafts/ 12/10/2003/ Dr. Jerry Wong

Aren't you glad you know me, and have such easy access to my dementia???

Well well, my wife removed my staples yesterday evening (day 14), and we counted them one by one as they were coming out: 83!!!! I did all the suggested things, put some anaesthetic cream 45mn before starting the process, had a stiff gin but believe me some of these staples did not want to give up without a fight and about 10 of them caused some serious pain. Though my wife was very gentle I had to work hard not to scream & wake up the kids. Once they were all out the donor area was a bit sore for maybe 15mn and then that was it. But for me it was by far the most unpleasant part of the whole surgery. Today it feels a bit stretched but that's it, no pain at all.

NYC guy,

I think Dr Hasson suggested 14 days because of the characteristics of my scalp, I don't believe this is the standard figure as the number "10" was manually crossed out on my post-op instructions sheet to be replaced with "14".

Haven't buzzed yet, and very few hairs have fallen with the scabs, I would say 95% are still there. Expecting some major shedding (as announced on the post-op sheet) between now and the 4 week mark.

3045 FUs with Dr Victor Hasson on 8 June 2004

1836 FUs with Dr Jeffrey Epstein on 2 March 2006

Regimen: 1.25mg Proscar every other day

Hairworthy,

When I was at my consultation visit at the Hasson and Wong satellite office in Portland, one of the questions I asked was about removing the staples. Mike Ferko there told me that I could come up to Portland and they would take them out for me. Since that visit I also had a visit with our family Doctor here in town and I asked him if he could take my staples out when they were ready. The Doc acted a little funny about the question, almost like he didn't want to. Why, I don't know. The reason I would like to have them taken out here is to save me a three-hour round trip up to Portland.

My question is, is there a technique to taking the staples out?

It seems that the staples have a slight fishhook on the point ends that keep them intact so the trick would be to maneuver the hook out with a slight twist inward while removing them. I know my wife wouldn't "go there" but my 17-year-old son would certainly enjoy taking them out for me. I figure after one was taken out the rest would be easy.

You mentioned the anaesthetic cream 45mn. I was also thinking that maybe a hot shower letting the water run on the stapled area for a few minutes followed by the application of the cream, may soften the skin around the staples to make removal even more easier. What do you think?

Q - i would avoid the hassle..and definitely let someone who has actually removed staples before, do yours...Doug from HW did mine, and he definitely knew what he was doing..but i could see where it would be pretty tricky for someone who hadn't done it before...also, if you screw it up, those babies can really bleed on you...i only had one "bleeder", but it opened up pretty good..

4600 grafts/ 12/10/2003/ Dr. Jerry Wong

Aren't you glad you know me, and have such easy access to my dementia???

my wife pulled my staples out (71 of them) in about 6 minutes with the tool I received from the H&W office. I followed Dr. Wong's directions and applied the topical anesthetic every half hour 3 times before the removal. It was uncomfortbale but nothing like what Mr. Worthy described. the staples at the sides hurt the worst, and towards the center back i felt nothing. I had no bleeding at all. I forgot to take a belt of whiskey first, but that's no a bad idea. Actually, that's never a bad idea.

All,

Just updated the gallery with 2 pics of my scar after nr 2 buzz.

HairQless,

On the post-op sheet you get 4 pictures explaining how to remove the staples with the sterile instrument provided. As for the hot shower, well, whatever works for you... I actually didn't think it would be that painful, but had I known I would have taken additional measures... like another round of drinks.

Rugger,

There was no bleeding at all, just the feeling of torn tissue (which didn't last long).

Hugh,

Only 71 and only 6 minutes: lucky you! Funny because the most painful ones, for me, were in the center, but I think it might be due to the previous scar. 2 questions for you:

1. What are you going to do with the staple remover? Have you thought of any other use?

2. WHEN WILL YOU POST YOUR PICS??????

NYC guy,

I think Jotronic knows of 2 guys who did it themselves, but I would not recommend it. You really need to see what you're doing, and it's definitely better to have it done by someone familiar with that stuff.

Anyway, regarding the scar itself (or themselves, as there are 2 of them) I will probably have some FUE work done once it's all settled. Whoops's results are pretty impressive in that area.

One thing I didn't expect is that the scar tends to show through the "hole" of a baseball cap (above the strap)! I am therefore wearing mine slightly low so that the strap is right on top of the scar: talk about precision!

WOW Hairworthy your looking great! And to think it hasn't been but 3 weeks since your HT! Awesome man!

Congratulations again!

ws,

Arrived at 07:30, left at 17:30!

Not sure what the record is but I think it's around 5500 in one session.

As a side note I e-mailed this last picture to my mum yesterday and she said I looked great... we don't live in the same country and she has no idea I've had an HT: so if even she cannot spot it, who could?

• 2 weeks later...

Hairworthy,

Your front view picture for 28th of June looks great - no sign of redness that I can see and this is after only three weeks. Following your #2 buzz cut, however, your donor scar looks quite visible. In your view, is this mostly due to your previous scar at the Nobel clinic, or does it just take more time for the scar to be less apparent? After my surgey with Hasson on July 23,I am looking to follow your lead and get an overall buzz cut (maybe just a #3) after I get my staples removed 10 to 14 days afterward. I am hoping that my scar will not be especially visible - I currently have a virgin scalp. Have you tried to keep your surgery a secret at work? If so, have you been succesful?

NYC guy,

Yes I thought my scar showed a bit more than expected, and there are 3 reasons for that:

1. Dr Hasson couldn't work on the previous scar (ie "merge" it with the new one) because the area was very badly damaged (compliments of these ***hole nurses at the Nobel Clinic), & he had to "cut" just above it, so these 2 scars make up something more visible than would normally be

2. The density of my hair is not very high (has never been), which can be good HT-wise (no dense packing required in the front to give a "uniform" density all over) but makes it also more difficult to hide scars

3. I experienced severe shock loss in the donor area. From the end of week 2 to week 4 it seemed I was actually losing a lot more original hair in the back than HT hair in the front (had a handful of hair each time, just by rubbing the donor area), but this has now ceased. I trust MSM to help growing my hair enough to hide it completely within 2 to 3 weeks.

As I said above I will most probably have some FUE work done on these scars, maybe only in the back where they're most visible, depending on whatever's still available in my donor area. Whoops went for Dr Jones for that but I might give DHI a go in Athens.

To answer your 2nd question, only my wife knows about my 2 HTs. I am fortunate enough to be able to wear a cap without looking suspicious when I'm walking around in my company's building. I take it off in my office as I am the only one there, and when someone comes to see me they are facing me so the scar is not exposed & they only see the "buzz cut" in the front, which looks normal. The other part of my job involves a uniform with a hat or a cap so then again no worries there!

The ultimate test will be with my mum in 2 months: if even she does not notice the HT, Dr Hasson truly is a Great Master (not that I have any doubt about it)!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello Herbert,

Well since you're asking... I've just posted 2 pictures taken today, 3 months & 8 days post-op. Growth is really starting now, lots of little hairs showing up. To answer your question, there was very little shock loss in the recipient area, but I had more than my share in the back!!

With regards to the "ultimate test" I mentioned above... well my mother did not notice anything!!! I couldn't believe it. She was just happy with my decision to let my hair grow (she hated the "shaved head" look), and said "well, it seems your hair loss has stopped now, you look great!"

I must say I feel much better, more confident, and it's only the beginning of the growth. The combination of Proscar & MSM also worked really well, no doubt about that. Apart from a few hairs in the front, my previous (disastrous) HT by the UK butchers is now history, the HT from Dr Hasson is covering it completely.

I was thinking of going back for more density, but the way things are going at the moment, I might not even need it. Time will tell.

Greetings to all my "buddies" on this forum (Hugh Jorgan, HBT, hombre, Robert, HairQless....), I've been fairly busy training & checking people these last 2 months, hence my silence! But I'm still around!

Welcome back, hairworthy!

Pics are looking good. You are going to fill in QUITE nicely. Your procedure was done just 10 days before mine so it is interesting to watch your progress. Happy growing!

-Robert

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

welcome back brother......your hair looks unbelievable. almost "poofy". I'm just starting to see my new grafts come in and it will probably be another 2-3 months before the camera can pic it up, but i am very happy i went through with the second procedure - hell, i may be done now! don't work too hard, man.

Greetings to all my "buddies" on this forum (Hugh Jorgan, HBT, hombre, Robert, HairQless....), I've been fairly busy training & checking people these last 2 months, hence my silence! But I'm still around!

I have to admit that i'm mightily impressed & genuinely happy for ya!

Did you use Graftyte post-op or just saline to keep the grafts moist & clean?

Shame Dr Hasson couldn't do anything to revise your old scar but hopefully FUE will help camouflage it.

Keep an eye out for Crazydiamonds's posts as he had some grafts put into his scar by Dr Zondos about six months ago. He's going back to Zondos in about two weeks & promised to show pics of his update. He says he can defineatly feel some growth in his scars so it looks promising.

Thks guys. Yes I'm fairly happy with the result so far.

HBT, you got that right!!!

NYC guy, sorry I forgot you in my list! Well MSM seems to work indeed, and you should see my nails, maybe I should post a pic of them: 0.5cm in 3 weeks (I let'em grow just for fun).

truthseeker, 3g per day, that is 3 times a 1g caplet (morning, afternoon, bedtime). Will switch to MSM crystals when I run out & take the 3g in one go in the morning with some fruit juice: apparently it's the most efficient way of getting results out of that stuff.

hombre, I used nothing. Dr Hasson did not specify anything anyway. Had a go at colouring my hair with "Just for Men" 8 weeks ago but was not impressed: didn't like the overall result and there were still lots of grey hair. Switched to some cheaper stuff for women (!!) and that was much better, believe it or not. Will stick to that for the moment.

Re: the scar, due to the length of my hair it is now invisible, even with my hair wet. I'll see how it goes later, but I was impressed with Whoops's FUE results with Dr Jones, his scar looks really good even with very short hair.