I'm not noticing any hairline growth at 4 months post op?

I had a FUT exactly 4 months ago and I have have yet to notice any hair growth at all on my hairline. Is this common? I'm trying to stay positive and believe that my hair just grows really slow, but I'm starting to think I'm one of the failed cases that show poor results.

People tell me that they see little hairs sprouting, but those are the hairs that were transplanted 4 months ago that just haven't either A) fallen out or B) grown at all since the transplant.

I also noticed that my crown area looks more bald this month than last month? It can hardly be disputed if one takes a look at my profile photo album. Could it be that I'm shedding and that the hairs will grow in?

I'm disappointed in the lack of density as well. It seems like I should have had a much larger number of grafts done. It seems like the transplanted hairs in the crown area are growing longer, but not at all growing in density.

Is this another case of not being patient? It sure seems like things aren't really working out the way they are supposed to.

I can understand maybe have at least a tiny bit of growth in the hairline by 4 months, but NONE really?

5b32e3031c1ae_20141202_2002311.jpg.60fb815cd05d43aff8f36eb1c3029e3d.jpg

5b32e3033846b_20141202_2001191.jpg.a1f4138c70c65a706ccb53b3e8b76e55.jpg

NervousGuy,

I took a peek at your hairline photo and there is new growth there albeit not as robust as you expected. But remember, at four months post-op the new growth is just starting. And your regrowth may not go as quickly as you want it to. You have to give your procedure one full year to even up to 15 months post-op in order to fairly judge the merits of your procedure.

If you have grafts that have not shed by now, and they are not growing in length, then they are probably dead hair shafts and should be removed. You can use a tweezers and pull them out. If they come out with ease, then they are dead graft hair.

Your crown probably appears thinner because of some shock loss in that area.

Be patient my friend and things will happen but don't freak out in the meantime. Get your mind off it the best you can and allow time and patience to work...;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I also took a look at your photos and can see some growth albeit quite thin but that is expected at 4 months some patients are just getting going. It is far too early to start getting worried.

As Gillenator says try not to focus on things at this stage or you will drive yourself crazy I know just how much easier that is to say than actually do but try not to worry.

---

Former patient and representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

NervousGuy,

I took a peek at your hairline photo and there is new growth there albeit not as robust as you expected. But remember, at four months post-op the new growth is just starting. And your regrowth may not go as quickly as you want it to. You have to give your procedure one full year to even up to 15 months post-op in order to fairly judge the merits of your procedure.

If you have grafts that have not shed by now, and they are not growing in length, then they are probably dead hair shafts and should be removed. You can use a tweezers and pull them out. If they come out with ease, then they are dead graft hair.

Your crown probably appears thinner because of some shock loss in that area.

Be patient my friend and things will happen but don't freak out in the meantime. Get your mind off it the best you can and allow time and patience to work...;)

I'm hesitant to just pull out the possible dead hairs because they might not be dead. New hairs might not even sprout to take their place as far as I'm concerned.

I will just have to give it more time, but it is difficult for me to imagine my hair looking really thick and dense because it just seems like I didn't get enough grafts done. My hair looks less bald now, but you can easily see how much less dense my hair is in the crown area.

So am I waiting for the hair in my transplanted areas to grow long enough to hide the baldness or will these hairs also make these areas much more dense as time goes by?

You have some hairs that continued growing and your recipient looks kind of fuzzy. MMaybe the growth just isn't long enough to be noticable?

Do you have a graft count and the idea of the surface area of your transplant recipient area/grafts per cm sq?

You have some hairs that continued growing and your recipient looks kind of fuzzy. MMaybe the growth just isn't long enough to be noticable?

Do you have a graft count and the idea of the surface area of your transplant recipient area/grafts per cm sq?

These are good questions. I will actually call up the doctor and get this information again. I had it written down, but I misplaced the paper. I can post the details I get from him.

As for the peach fuzz...these hairs can turn into long, dense hairs? It just seems unlikely, because it just looks like peach fuzz and nothing more. So the hairs will start out like this for a few months before they start forming into actual hairs?

nervous,

I encourage you to do more research especially in follicle cycle behavior. If those are dead hair shafts, and they probably are since they are not growing, they will come out rather easily compared to plucking live hair shafts. But if they are dead, they really need to come out because your scalp senses them to be a foreign object and will eventually reject them.

Not only is the graft density per cm2 a factor, but also the caliber of your hair shafts. If you have a coarse degree of hair caliber, then visual coverage will appear more pronounced. Yet the thinner degree of hair caliber, the more grafts are needed or a higher level of graft density to achieve decent visual coverage.

One other thing. When the regrowth occurs, the hair shafts should be thicker in caliber and enriched with color as they grow in length. Peach fuzz growth is probably not grafts but your diffused native hair growing back in. Take another look at your hairline and you will see dark thick hair shafts which are the grafts.

But as several of us have stated, you are still in the beginning stages of regrowth so give it more time and patience.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I noticed limited growth lack of density from my first procedure, I am currently a repair paient now, and 5 months in I havent noticed anything drastic yet in terms of density. I'd keep an eye on it until the 12 month mark and then re-evaluate if adequate growth occurred. keep track by posting similar monthly photos of progress. Do not skip that, as you'd what a well documented copy of progress to show surgeon, of what amount of graft yield growth he/she has accomplished on your scalp. normally, if you are a repair patient and had work in same area, few surgeons say grafts may take a little longer to grow, but just keep an eye on it and track progress for now. keep your head up, wish you the best.