Had My 1st SMP Session in New York

Thunder

I was the other poster. I thought the dots look a little too large. It was just an observation and everyone here has their right to their opinion. I'd be interested to see photos if and when they shrink. If they do look like natural follicular units at that time, I'll be happy to say so. The forum needs more smp options of high quality and I'll be happy to give my honest opinion for those who have developed a trust for it over the years. This is a fluid market with many advances and I hope that shrinking ink is one of them.

Yes definitely, you have every right to express your opinion of his SMP results, especially since he did ask members for feedback on his photos. Some people do get defensive, while others are able to handle the constructive criticism. Honestly, I did not notice that Thunder's dots looked too large, but I really didn't examine very closely. It does seem to have a brown tint to it, so would be interested to know what shade of pigment was used. I agree that it would be nice to see more smp results on this forum. I am just not willing to post my photos for the world to see, and I do not disclose which Clinic I used for the simple fact that I am not here to advertise for my provider, and honestly they do not need me to do so.

I am beginning to believe that Headstrong may have a direct affiliation with HIS Hair. I have noticed some of the known HIS shills promoting them on another forum.

As far as the dots shrinking, I have seen photo progressions of HIS Hair's SMP dots shrinking on client's heads 2-4 weeks post smp.

Spanker, my dots and redness have significantly decreased in size after six days post first session. With that being said, just like hair transplants, things need to settle, like FUE the body needs to accept the new grafts being implanted into the scalp so they can keep on growing, I am sure you know that. With SMP, although the semantics are different, things also need to settle down, the picture you commented on was early post 1st treatment on a virgin scalp, so it may appear to be very large to you, but in person and after the redness subsides, the replicated follicles do take shape, at least that has been my personal experience.

I have two more sessions, and as I apologized in my email for being defensive, after I have my third and final session, and things settle, I will have someone take pictures for me, high resolution, so you can see my results, if you still disagree and opine that my dots are too large, that is fine, after all, I have to wear it. But the feedback I have gotten so far is that in person it looks very natural.

Thunder

Yes definitely, you have every right to express your opinion of his SMP results, especially since he did ask members for feedback on his photos. Some people do get defensive, while others are able to handle the constructive criticism. Honestly, I did not notice that Thunder's dots looked too large, but I really didn't examine very closely. It does seem to have a brown tint to it, so would be interested to know what shade of pigment was used. I agree that it would be nice to see more smp results on this forum. I am just not willing to post my photos for the world to see, and I do not disclose which Clinic I used for the simple fact that I am not here to advertise for my provider, and honestly they do not need me to do so.

I am beginning to believe that Headstrong may have a direct affiliation with HIS Hair. I have noticed some of the known HIS shills promoting them on another forum.

As far as the dots shrinking, I have seen photo progressions of HIS Hair's SMP dots shrinking on client's heads 2-4 weeks post smp.

You know I just spit out my drink, you suspect that Matt and Headstrong are affiliated ? HIS Hair is huge Ken, with over 20 clinics worldwide, why on earth would they be in cahoots if their one of their most revered practitioner left to open up his own company, HIS doesn't need HeadStrong, and vice versa, case in point (link removed by moderator)

But thank you for educating Spanker as being a person who has had SMP and could relate to the "dot size" theory. And yes, I know what # pigments were used as it is listed on my aftercare instructions, I just didn't notice it. As far as HIS shills, I have no affiliation with anyone but me. I cannot reiterate that more.

Edited by David - TakingThePlunge

But the feedback I have gotten so far is that in person it looks very natural.

Thunder

That's great news. Keep us posted.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

In regards to the dor size...

I have rad several diaries on the HisHair forum and the dots do look big and unnatural after the first session. This is always the case. But I have never seen a case where the dots did not shrink significantly. And yes, it is the second session that completes the look and make it look natural.

However, I am wondering if HisHair is using the same dot size for all their cases? Like a one size fits all approach. If this is the case I would imagine that although it may look perfect on some heads it would look less natural on people with fine hair and smaller follicles.

I exchanged some emails with Matt Iulo at Headstrong and he actually told me he uses varying gauges of micro needles depending on the skin type and follicles of a person and area of scalp. That seems better than a 1 size fits all....i go for my consultation next week so ill dig even deeper.

_sal

In regards to the dor size...

However, I am wondering if HisHair is using the same dot size for all their cases? Like a one size fits all approach. If this is the case I would imagine that although it may look perfect on some heads it would look less natural on people with fine hair and smaller follicles.

To be perfectly honest with you, the size of your natural hair follicle is not a factor in relation to the size of dots (replicated follicles) that are tattooed. Anyone who tells you otherwise is either a person who has no clue about scalp micropigmentation, or is a clinic attempting to sell you on the lie that they actually use different dot sizes specific to each client's natural hair follicle size, and that is just ridiculous. The fact of the matter is, for men with significant hair loss (which if you are considering smp you no doubt have significant hair loss/thinning) allowing your natural hair to grow beyond the height of a zero guard clipper shave will only serve to minimize the effect of your smp. The idea is to have the dots serve as the primary color or base that is seen on the scalp. If you let your natural hair grow too much, the uneven look between dots and hair will be apparent.

Your natural hair stubble, shaved very closely, will only serve the purpose of providing a 3d effect causing the viewer of your head to see some texture, making the smp illusion that much better. But again, the core of the color on your scalp will not be from your hairs, but from the smp replicated follicles.

Of course, 2 of the best results I have seen to date were the owner and consultant of the clinic I did smp with, and neither of those men had much hair at all, less hair than I do if im not mistaken, so don't put too much stock in the importance of having lots of stubble. The importance lies in the skill your practitioner possesses and the quality of work your clinic is capable of.

Regardless of natural follicle size, you want your SMP dots to be as tiny as possible, period.

Good answer. Thanks Ken.

So with hat in mind, who can you recommend for small dot sizes?

I have seen so many results from Hishair where the dots are just a little bit too big to stand up to very close scrutiny.

Who was your practitioner btw?

Good answer. Thanks Ken.

I have seen so many results from Hishair where the dots are just a little bit too big to stand up to very close scrutiny.

HIS Hair dots actually do shrink to a very small size, and I have seen some amazing results from HIS, some of the best. The issues with HIS Hair are result longevity and Quality Control. There is no doubt that HIS results have a much shorter "lifespan" than their competitor permanent SMP clinics. If you look at HIS' own forum you can see that very clearly. Also, with so many clinics in so many different locations with so many different practitioners, it is hard to tell what quality of results you will receive if you get a treatment from someone other than their best practitioners like Paul Clarke or Simon Lane. It is definitely in HIS Hair's own best interest to have so many locations, but I would argue that this is not in the client's best interest b/c a brand is only as good as the practitioner who produces your result.

As far as smp businesses who produce small dot sizes, there are many many clinics out there, and they are springing up everywhere all the time, but only a handful are proven over the span of 5+ years to produce good small dots. But the proven places, just from my experience, observation, and research would be:

1) Artistry Concepts- Florida

2) Good Look Ink- Minnesota

3) New Hair Institute w/ Dr. Pak- Los Angeles, CA

4) Skalp Clinic- UK

5) Vinci Hair Clinic- UK

6) HIS Hair Clinic- UK

And again, as far as these SMP places being the best, this is only my opinion. Best to find a place that you are comfortable with based on your own experience with them.

As far as the SMP clinic I went to and my practitioner, I choose not to say. I am just a guy who had SMP, I do not make a living in the SMP industry, so I find it best to only comment on general aspects of SMP and leave the promoting and advertising of specific SMP clinics to the Shills. :)

Hey Ken,

I had my 2nd session on Thursday. Waiting for the redness to subside before I post pictures. Not sure if I am going to book a third session, would it be prudent to wait a month or so for things to settle ? Overall, I made a few minor tweaks but I am happy with the second result.

About dot size. From what I have read on HIS forums, initially applying small dots in the first session is not good, dots need to settle, and if they get too small before adding the density in the second session, then you get the smudged look effect if you will. Having what people describe as large dots in the beginning is very normal, and to my knowledge and research, those large dots settle down to a size that is supposed to replicate the hair follicle, in between the settling, your second session occurs, if the dots are applied way to small, then the practitioner winds up putting dots on top of dots, if that makes sense.

In regards to my "dot size", I can tell you mine have substantially decreased in size in the 8 day hiatus between my first and second.

Ken, what kind of moisturizer, shampoo, and shaver do you use ? Do you wet shave against the grain? Have a rotary shaver? Foil ? Just trying to figure out what gives me the best results. I bought a cheap foil shaver Panasonic and it shaves to the bone, very close to a wet shave. But it broke after 2 weeks.

Hey Ken,

I had my 2nd session on Thursday. Waiting for the redness to subside before I post pictures. Not sure if I am going to book a third session, would it be prudent to wait a month or so for things to settle ? Overall, I made a few minor tweaks but I am happy with the second result.

About dot size. From what I have read on HIS forums, initially applying small dots in the first session is not good, dots need to settle, and if they get too small before adding the density in the second session, then you get the smudged look effect if you will. Having what people describe as large dots in the beginning is very normal, and to my knowledge and research, those large dots settle down to a size that is supposed to replicate the hair follicle, in between the settling, your second session occurs, if the dots are applied way to small, then the practitioner winds up putting dots on top of dots, if that makes sense.

In regards to my "dot size", I can tell you mine have substantially decreased in size in the 8 day hiatus between my first and second.

Ken, what kind of moisturizer, shampoo, and shaver do you use ? Do you wet shave against the grain? Have a rotary shaver? Foil ? Just trying to figure out what gives me the best results. I bought a cheap foil shaver Panasonic and it shaves to the bone, very close to a wet shave. But it broke after 2 weeks.

Congrats, sounds like you are happy with your results.

I use Lubriderm, no fragrance, daily moisture lotion.

I shave with Wahl Clippers, no guard.

I wash my head with either Dial soap, or face wash.

As far as smp businesses who produce small dot sizes, there are many many clinics out there, and they are springing up everywhere all the time, but only a handful are proven over the span of 5+ years to produce good small dots. But the proven places, just from my experience, observation, and research would be:

1) Artistry Concepts- Florida

2) Good Look Ink- Minnesota

3) New Hair Institute w/ Dr. Pak- Los Angeles, CA

4) Skalp Clinic- UK

5) Vinci Hair Clinic- UK

6) HIS Hair Clinic- UK

And again, as far as these SMP places being the best, this is only my opinion. Best to find a place that you are comfortable with based on your own experience with them.

As far as the SMP clinic I went to and my practitioner, I choose not to say. I am just a guy who had SMP, I do not make a living in the SMP industry, so I find it best to only comment on general aspects of SMP and leave the promoting and advertising of specific SMP clinics to the Shills.

Congrats, sounds like you are happy with your results.

I use Lubriderm, no fragrance, daily moisture lotion.

I shave with Wahl Clippers, no guard.

I wash my head with either Dial soap, or face wash.

I have that lotion as well. I was going to by the Wahl balding clippers, but I don't think they cut close enough, so I bought a Panasonic 19.00 foil shaver from CVS and that thing cuts close! Almost like a wet shave.

Dial soap, interesting. I read about someone using baby shampoo. I have to ask Matt. I keep bothering him about what to do and what not to do so I don't accidently screw up my SMP.

I have that lotion as well. I was going to by the Wahl balding clippers, but I don't think they cut close enough, so I bought a Panasonic 19.00 foil shaver from CVS and that thing cuts close! Almost like a wet shave.

Dial soap, interesting. I read about someone using baby shampoo. I have to ask Matt. I keep bothering him about what to do and what not to do so I don't accidently screw up my SMP.

Yea I like Lubriderm and Curel moisturizer. I am about to order some more Headblade Matte Lotion also. HB matte reduces shine and moisturizes and is only about $7 for a 5 oz bottle. I have heard some great things about Peter Thomas Roth Matte Gel but have yet to try it. It runs 30-45 bucks for a 1 oz tube but guys on the HIS forum swear by the stuff and say it lasts them about 2 months for 1 oz tube b/c very little is required each day.

I use the clippers b/c I still have some coverage on my scalp and like the look better than foil shave for myself but I know that most guys prefer a foil shave or wet shave. I have been told by a woman I know who owns a micropigmentation clinic that foil shaving and wet shaving actually removes the pigments from the scalp over time by removing layers of skin. Have you heard of this?

I use the dial liquid soap, and sometimes I do use a shampoo, I think it is Suave. I know shampoo is primarily for hair, but I find that the Suave does the best job of cleansing my scalp. Sometimes I use a facial cleanser but it tends to dry my scalp out a bit too much.

I don't want to bad mouth any of the SMP companies out there , however I would like to give you some advice.... First when dealing with a person who is about to do your scalp . Ask how long have they themselves been doing SMP's,ask for photos of the client's he or she have done (if possible) have one come by to see them in person. The hardest part is getting the hair line to look natural if they screw up you will hate yourself . Check for BD of health license ,business license other credentials such as (Tattoo Tech) Trust me its for your own protection. There are companies that are not really telling the truth. ask about the ink, what kind of needles they use. Some of the post that I have seen are from companies and friends of companies praising their work and Company... This is my first post so I will keep it clean for now. Still investigating other stuff...

I don't want to bad mouth any of the SMP companies out there , however I would like to give you some advice.... First when dealing with a person who is about to do your scalp . Ask how long have they themselves been doing SMP's,ask for photos of the client's he or she have done (if possible) have one come by to see them in person. The hardest part is getting the hair line to look natural if they screw up you will hate yourself . Check for BD of health license ,business license other credentials such as (Tattoo Tech) Trust me its for your own protection. There are companies that are not really telling the truth. ask about the ink, what kind of needles they use. Some of the post that I have seen are from companies and friends of companies praising their work and Company... This is my first post so I will keep it clean for now. Still investigating other stuff...

Photos are not good indicator b/c many smp businesses quite frequently steal competitor clinics photos and use them for their own advertising. Even the "great" HIS Hair Clinic has stolen a competitor's smp result photo and used it in one of their flash ads. The only sure fire way is to view a client's smp session with the practitioner you will have at the clinic of your choice, and then see the finished result on that client's head the following day. I was able to do this at the clinic I chose.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with Ken.

Recently I visited a major SMP clinic and checked out their results.

The guy I met with there is quite famous on the forums and had his treatment done with the clinic.

Looked great in photos - not so much in real life.

Although I one what to look for I thought it was a bit too obvious from my liking.

Good answer. Thanks Ken.

I'm not sure if you are interested in pursuing temporary SMP at all...But, beauty medical by far has the smallest needle size using a 1 prong micro needle as compared to a 3 prong round needle that the majority of permanent companies are using. (1 needle vs 3)

I am the SMP and Micro-Pigmentation Specialist for Shapiro Medical Group. Always feel free to message me privately with any additional questions you might have. I am trained in both the permanent and temporary pigmentation methods and am happy to be here to offer support as a neutral resource.