What NW stage am I at?

NW2.5 edging towards a 3 maybe. NW3 on some charts looks worse than on others.

As you're in NY state I'd suggest going to see one of these doctors: Frank, Wesley, Bernstein, True & Dorin, Feller or Beehner.

You don't need a transplant but it would be useful to get a microscopic evaluation and possibly start taking Propecia.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

NW2.5 edging towards a 3 maybe. NW3 on some charts looks worse than on others.

As you're in NY state I'd suggest going to see one of these doctors: Frank, Wesley, Bernstein, True & Dorin, Feller or Beehner.

You don't need a transplant but it would be useful to get a microscopic evaluation and possibly start taking Propecia.

But you wouldn't put me at a NW 3 just yet?

Also, question, is it possible for, once hairloss has gotten started, for it to cease at say, NW 3 and not go to full baldness?

It started about a year ago and I think in the last 6-8 months has gotten more aggressive.

Also, why is it seemingly worse on one side than the other?

Thanks for your reply!

But you wouldn't put me at a NW 3 just yet?

Also, question, is it possible for, once hairloss has gotten started, for it to cease at say, NW 3 and not go to full baldness?

It started about a year ago and I think in the last 6-8 months has gotten more aggressive.

Also, why is it seemingly worse on one side than the other?

Thanks for your reply!

Hard to tell with the limited pictures but I would class a NW2 as with mild recession on the temples but no obvious thinning elsewhere, whereas in your case it looks like the hairline has thinned a bit and moved backwards.

It's possible it might not recede more than NW3. Sadly, there is no way of knowing. It's all down to a genetic predisposition that it happens. Even if your Dad, brothers, uncles never went above a NW3 it is still no guarantee that you won't.

Balding might be asymmetrical - which explains one side being worse than the other. It is nothing other than bad luck mate. I did not lose hair in a uniform manner either.

It would be best to visit one of those hair docs in order to be proactive in slowing down the process.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

• 5 months later...

But remember, losing a little hair is no biggie and actually makes most men look more distinguished and credible (especially in business) as time moves on...losing a LOT of hair is the problem we struggle with! Right now you are fine, and I agree a HT is not necessary. You have a low frontal hairline - you kind of look like John Mayer. That's a very good thing, especially if you can play the guitar and have a whispery voice...you are set for life with the ladies.

Good luck!

But remember, losing a little hair is no biggie and actually makes most men look more distinguished and credible (especially in business) as time moves on...losing a LOT of hair is the problem we struggle with! Right now you are fine, and I agree a HT is not necessary. You have a low frontal hairline - you kind of look like John Mayer. That's a very good thing, especially if you can play the guitar and have a whispery voice...you are set for life with the ladies.

Good luck!

I just want to be able to grow my hair shoulder length or longer for a few years and not look silly or like I'm balding in the process. My dad has a high hairline, sort of, it varies from photo to photo. His father has a bizarre mix of a NW2 but with vertex loss--there's a big patch on the back of his head barely covered by hair. My mother's father was at WORST a NW1. Same hairline as when he was a kid. His brothers kept their hair to varying degrees.

His father (mom's dad's dad) was bald--probably a NW4. My mom's mom's dad was also a NW4, and her great uncles were between 5 and 7s. I just worry I inherited very recessive genetics because I have an incredibly hairy body such as my back and shoulders.

Not old enough to tell much. I don't even knew what a nw 1.5 is. You have some temple recession but that's all I can tell in the photos. You could have nice hair for years to come, or you could be bald in ten years. Keep a close eye on it and you may want to go to a recommended physician and get a consult and see if they recommend meds. It's a difficult call.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.