Losing my hair? 25 yo. Ht in future?

There's no baldness is my family history. I have never worried about balding, so I'm very very ignorant on the subject. I don't know for sure when it started, but I remember a little over a year ago that I noticed my hair line started out "higher" than most people I saw. I don't think twice about it , until today. When I just happened to stumble across a few pictures of guys with the same hair line as me, and they were all linked to hair loss sites. I'm 25 currently, my father who is 54 has a very similar hair line as me, his may be a little less pronounced. According to pictures I saw I'd assume I'm at a nw2. I'm posting this for others opinions and advice. I have never noticed hair falling out, and it seems to be only my temples.

imgur: the simple image sharer

Thanks!

It looks fine to me. Sure, you will lose some hair in the future as most people do as they age.

If you want to minimise the risk of balding you could get a prescription of Proscar (5mg Finasteride) and take one quarter tablet (1.25mg) daily.

There are side effects for about 5% of users and these can be overstated online. However, you should research that and/or talk to a GP/Hair doctor.

Of course, this is all entirely optional and would in effect be your hair 'insurance policy'.

Edited by 1978matt
typo

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

It appears from your pics that you do have some mild temporal lobe recession however nothing substantial. And yes I agree that you are at about Norwood 2 with the beginnings of MPB progression.

Although it does not appear that you have MPB in your family history, trust me, it is there somewhere on either side. It may be a few generations back. If your father has less pronounced loss in the same areas, quite possibly the MPB is from your maternal side. Hopefully none of the men progressed into the more advanced classes of genetic hair loss.

You will undoubtedly notice more recessionary loss in those temporal lobe areas along with the frontal tuft pulling back as the years go by.

What does your crown look like? Is there any diffusion or thinning back there? This is the area that low dose finasteride that 1978matt mentioned is most effective. And if you can keep that area along with your mid-scalp from losing, your well ahead of the game plan.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

You will likely lose more as you age. However, I see no reason to believe that you will advance any time soon or that you will have a high amount of hair loss. I don't think my hair was as good as yours at 25 and while I have had a transplant, I still have a pretty good head of hair. I think you'll be fine for a while. I would guess at least until your late thirties and beyond. If course that is just a guess, but your situation appears to be far from dire. Keep an eye on things and consider finasteride if/when it progresses.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Hi there friend

Mate, I'd have to agree with the others who have given some sound advice as always.

Many of us would be envious to have hair as dense and full as yours.

I'ts common to experience a little bit of recession but yours appears to only be very minor.

A HT at this stage would be unnecessary and if I was you I'd start off with meds first.

Hypothetically even if your hair-loss was 10 times worse than it is now, the first thing you must achieve is stopping any further hair-loss and Propecia in most cases will achieve this.

Start with meds bro, best way to go.

Edited by hairfarmer79
spelling

I asked my mom tonight for a picture of her father, apparently he had more "balding" than I remembered. Of his 6 brothers, only 1 is living and his hair is similar to my grandfathers. My mother told me a receeding hairline runs in her family, news to me, as my dad's family is quite the opposite. I've included a picture of my grandfather at the age of 64/66 years old.

Sorry for my ignorance, but is this what I can expect in the future? What are the chances mine results in more hair loss than my grandfather and his brothers?

Thanks.

Bingo...my MPB is also from my mother's side and knew you would find it if you looked back further in your family history.

Do you if your grandfather had loss in the crown? My premonition is that he did.

Your crown does show signs of diffusion and will eventually break-up with additional loss. You have a great chance of preventing that if you consider getting on low dose finasteride because again, it's most effective in the crown and mid-scalp.

Your grandfather still had a good head of hair in the photo, and hopefully you will too. But there is no way of accurately predicting the future.

What we do know is that upon close observation of the scalp, a reputable HT doctor can tell exactly where DHT is impeding your scalp using microscopic examination; comparing hair shaft diameter and noting where there is miniaturization.

And I am referring to the areas that still have plenty of hair. Just looking at your crown and temple points in the pics, it is obvious that you will progress further over the coming years unless you get on Propecia or some other form of low dose finasteride.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Bingo...my MPB is also from my mother's side and knew you would find it if you looked back further in your family history.

Do you if your grandfather had loss in the crown? My premonition is that he did.

Your crown does show signs of diffusion and will eventually break-up with additional loss. You have a great chance of preventing that if you consider getting on low dose finasteride because again, it's most effective in the crown and mid-scalp.

Your grandfather still had a good head of hair in the photo, and hopefully you will too. But there is no way of accurately predicting the future.

What we do know is that upon close observation of the scalp, a reputable HT doctor can tell exactly where DHT is impeding your scalp using microscopic examination; comparing hair shaft diameter and noting where there is miniaturization.

And I am referring to the areas that still have plenty of hair. Just looking at your crown and temple points in the pics, it is obvious that you will progress further over the coming years unless you get on Propecia or some other form of low dose finasteride.

I'm confused now! I went to a local hair restoration clinic yesterday, he said that I actually have a smaller forehead (4 inches from brows to hair line) . He said I've lost about an inch in my temple areas and that my hair on top/crown was very dense, he said he obviously wouldn't do a HT at this point, but if I WANTED to use rogaine, I could. And that there is no reason to start anything else. His only opinion was to take a picture now and a year from now.

Should I go get a second opinion? Kind of worried with contradicting opinions.

Thanks!

My premonition is that the doctor you met with was communicating that you don't need any HT work for now and I concur with that opinion as many others would as well. You have descent hair mass and coverage at present.

I am surprised that he did not recommend that you start Propecia however. The picture of your crown again shows lots of hair volume but it also shows definite signs of diffusion. In fact, there is a very small bald spot beginning in the center of your whirl and can see tiny areas of scalp. This is because of the beginning visual signs of diffusion which will manifest into additional loss of hair unless you get pro-active with low dose finasteride. I can see it with the naked eye and if the doctor had done a microscopic examination of your crown, you would have seen it much clearer.

Yes minoxidil can help that area as well but here's the main difference. Minoxidil will only thicken the area but it will do nothing to inhibit the DHT that is causing the hair loss. Only finasteride does that. Possibly he feels that you are too young to start finasteride but most docs IMHO would recommend that you start if you want to save your crown from further progressive loss. At age 25, you are at the prime point to start Propecia or some other form of low dose finasteride IMHO. You are in the very center of the baseline for the ongoing clinical trials for Propecia.

Again, none of us can predict the future but my guess is that you will not completely lose your frontal zone because of your grandfather's photo. Part of his hairline receded but he did not lose everything in the frontal zone. In fact at age 64-65, he still had a lot of hair mass. And from what you stated, it does not sound like any of the men in your family history went completely bald right? That's a good thing.

And yes, if it were me, I would get other opinions because again, the smartest thing you can do at present is to start with effective hair loss meds to save you from as much surgery as possible. MPB is progressive for a lifetime and is the nature of it. So your plan should be far more preventative at this point in time.

IMHO, surgery should always be the last resort, not the first.

Gillenator

My premonition is that the doctor you met with was communicating that you don't need any HT work for now and I concur with that opinion as many others would as well. You have descent hair mass and coverage at present.

I am surprised that he did not recommend that you start Propecia however. The picture of your crown again shows lots of hair volume but it also shows definite signs of diffusion. In fact, there is a very small bald spot beginning in the center of your whirl and can see tiny areas of scalp. This is because of the beginning visual signs of diffusion which will manifest into additional loss of hair unless you get pro-active with low dose finasteride. I can see it with the naked eye and if the doctor had done a microscopic examination of your crown, you would have seen it much clearer.

Yes minoxidil can help that area as well but here's the main difference. Minoxidil will only thicken the area but it will do nothing to inhibit the DHT that is causing the hair loss. Only finasteride does that. Possibly he feels that you are too young to start finasteride but most docs IMHO would recommend that you start if you want to save your crown from further progressive loss. At age 25, you are at the prime point to start Propecia or some other form of low dose finasteride IMHO. You are in the very center of the baseline for the ongoing clinical trials for Propecia.

Again, none of us can predict the future but my guess is that you will not completely lose your frontal zone because of your grandfather's photo. Part of his hairline receded but he did not lose everything in the frontal zone. In fact at age 64-65, he still had a lot of hair mass. And from what you stated, it does not sound like any of the men in your family history went completely bald right? That's a good thing.

And yes, if it were me, I would get other opinions because again, the smartest thing you can do at present is to start with effective hair loss meds to save you from as much surgery as possible. MPB is progressive for a lifetime and is the nature of it. So your plan should be far more preventative at this point in time.

IMHO, surgery should always be the last resort, not the first.

Man, I can't thank you enough, seriously. I can't get anyone to take me seriously, since my hair is seemingly fine ATM. I believe you're right on the spot about the restoration doctor.

I went and got a haircut yesterday, and asked my hairdresser what she thought. She admitted she didn't know a whole lot about MPB, but that my hair on top was not thinijg at the moment. I plan on scheduling an appointment with a dermatologist Monday. But I'm not sure what questions to ask, or what test should be run.

Of the two medications mentioned, are they prescription only?

Thank you so much for you help!

Here is a photo after the haircut of the crown.

I can't see any obvious thinning in the crown. To me the spot is just the natural whorl.

Rogaine Foam can be purchased off the shelf in a pharmacy, or on Amazon/Ebay.

Propecia/Proscar is prescription only.

I would take yearly photos and forget about it for now. You have nice hair.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Thanks4TheHelp,

You are very welcome my friend. I would not recommend that you see a dermatologist "unless" the derm has knowledge and experience in microscopic evaluations related to MPB. Most derms have a foundational knowledge of what MPB is but they typically have few patients who seek them for treatment and advice in dealing with genetic hair loss. Most know what Propecia and minoxidil are and they will provide prescriptions for Propecia, but most do not go beyond that level of treatment.

And unfortunately, not that many HT doctors do microscopic evaluations either. Yet IMHO, it is critical and especially for young men like yourself who are seeing the very beginning signs of MPB. Some will say, oh don't worry about it, you have a lot of hair. And no doubt you do. But the wise thing is to get proactive now before you progress and lose more. And you will continue to lose more if you do nothing.

Another thing. I am not a gambling man but I would bet the farm that your grandfather had a bald spot on his crown. If you don't know, ask your mother or other relatives in the family who would know. If he did have a bald spot in his crown or even an advanced level of thinning, then you know where you are headed if you do nothing.

There are risks to taking any medications. But again minoxidil will not inhibit the DHT causing the diffusion in your crown. Only low dose finasteride will successfully do that. Not everyone responds favorably to it however a very high percent of men do have success with it. And at your beginning stage of MPB, it can also thicken up your crown with some new additional growth. Neither minoxidil nor finasteride will do anything to save your frontal zone however if you can keep your crown stable, you come out way ahead.

At some point in time, certainly not now, you may want to restore your frontal zone. But then again maybe you won't. You may grow to accept your mild level of loss and never have any HTs. Only time will tell.

But try to remember that HT surgery should always be the last resort and never the first. This is again why you want to be proactive now and start by having the microscopic evaluation done. That will confirm without a doubt what your crown and temporal points are doing.

Remember, you have to find the right doc who will take the time to do the eval, not just look at your scalp and state "everything looks fine". All it takes is a hand held instrument called a densitometer to examine your scalp or some docs use a more expensive telescopic scope that can be hooked up to a monitor so you can see the miniaturization and diffusion for yourself.

Best wishes to you T4TH...;)

Gillenator