Questions about FUE

Hello all...so I am considering the FUE surgery and had some questions for those that have been through it and know what the results are.

I have been shaving my head (razor shaving, no hair) for ten years due to the hairline receding and a bald spot on the top/back part. I like the way it looks when shaved, and really like it when it grows In for a day or two after shaving. After day tree it starts to look really bad and needs to be shaved again.

My thought is, if I could get FUE implants to fix the hairline, and maybe fill the back in a little, I could still shave it but would be able to go longer in between shaves (if that makes sense)

I know there are some scars present from the donor area in the back, but they don't look too bad in the pics I've seen (after shaving the back of my head has red shave bumps etc anyway)

My questions are:

Does the recipient area have scarring? Like if I were to shave my head would it be noticeable in the front?

Is the scarring in the donor area really so bad you would not be able to shave it clean?

thanks for the help and info, this is a great site!

(I posted this in the FUE section also but this area seems to have more posts :)

A reputable doctor will spread out the harvest of donor area and not over harvest any particular area, so it will not look weird when shaved. If it is shaved extremely short, like guard 1 or less then white dots may be seen upon close inspection. Your recipient area may have redness that is noticeable for up to a year, but once the redness is gone I don't believe there is any apparent scarring. Hope that helps!

Hello JohnSkiles. I suppose that if you would like to shave less frequently, you wouldn't benefit from the procedure as much as you should than if you desired to wear your hair significantly longer and in different styles.

The purpose of today's hair transplant surgery is to give the illusion of coverage. To create the illusion of coverage, the surgeon has to use a gambit of techniques to hide the scalp. If you want to preserve your pristine donor area and total hair transplant undetectability, you would need to be willing to compromise its perfect aesthetic condition. There is no perfect surgical procedure that will allow you to totally avoid any scarring. FUE will allow you to wear it shorter in the donor area, but you would see some evidence of the procedure if you totally shaved the donor area. The recipient area should show no noticeable scarring to the untrained eye.

There is no way to guarantee that you will heal as well as you might think. If you undergo even a minor surgical procedure, there are changes that occur with every small incision. When you cut skin tissue, you have to contend with changes in skin pigmentation, hair pigmentation, and blood flow. I would not pursue the effects of surgery because of a desire to prolong your time between shaves.

My opinions are based on my beliefs and are simply my own. I am one representative of the WHTC clinic.

Free Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

Brussels, Belgium - Available

London, United Kingdom - Available

Zurich, Switzerland - Available

Bologna, Italy - Available

Follow us: Facebook - Youtube - Pinterest

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Hello all...so I am considering the FUE surgery and had some questions for those that have been through it and know what the results are.

I have been shaving my head (razor shaving, no hair) for ten years due to the hairline receding and a bald spot on the top/back part. I like the way it looks when shaved, and really like it when it grows In for a day or two after shaving. After day tree it starts to look really bad and needs to be shaved again.

My thought is, if I could get FUE implants to fix the hairline, and maybe fill the back in a little, I could still shave it but would be able to go longer in between shaves (if that makes sense)

I know there are some scars present from the donor area in the back, but they don't look too bad in the pics I've seen (after shaving the back of my head has red shave bumps etc anyway)

My questions are:

Does the recipient area have scarring? Like if I were to shave my head would it be noticeable in the front?

Is the scarring in the donor area really so bad you would not be able to shave it clean?

thanks for the help and info, this is a great site!

(I posted this in the FUE section also but this area seems to have more posts :)

Excellent questions and I am also interested to know more about it

• 2 weeks later...

My questions are:

Does the recipient area have scarring?

YES. THE RECIPIENT AREA SHOULD HAVE SCARRING. THE RECIPIENT SITES ARE WOUNDS THAT ARE MADE BY SMALL INCISIONS. THESE WOUNDS MUST PROVIDE THE BLOOD SUPPLY IN ORDER FOR THE TRANSPLANTED GRAFTS TO SURVIVE THE TRAUMA ASSOCIATED WITH BEING TRANSPLANTED. AFTER THE RECIPIENT AREA HAS HEALED, THE SCARRING ISN'T TYPICALLY NOTICEABLE TO AN UNTRAINED EYE. AN AVERAGE PERSON COULDN'T DETECT RECIPIENT SCARRING BY EXAMINATION WITH MAGNIFICATION.

Like if I were to shave my head would it be noticeable in the front?

NO. YOU WOULDN'T SEE ANY NOTICEABLE RECIPIENT SCARRING IF YOU SHAVED YOUR HEAD.

YES AND NO. THERE IS NO AVAILABLE METHOD TO PREDICT WHICH PATIENTS WILL HEAL WITHOUT NOTICEABLE SCARRING. THERE WILL BE HAIRLESS AREAS ON THE SCALP AFTER EACH HAIR GRAFT IS TAKEN FROM THE DONOR AREA. THERE ARE PATIENTS WHO WON'T BE ABLE TO SHAVE IT CLEAN AND THERE ARE PATIENTS WHO WILL BE ABLE TO SHAVE IT CLEAN. DONOR SCARRING IS FAR LESS NOTICEABLE WITH CELL THERAPY AND OTHER TREATMENTS (E.G. PLATELET-RICH PLASMA).

P.S. I hope this info is helpful, everyone.

My opinions are based on my beliefs and are simply my own. I am one representative of the WHTC clinic.

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I just noticed in the mirror the pigment change of my recipient area.

You can just make out the hair line from when it was fresh after the HT, by seeing the slightly different shade of scalp. Its only noticeable when you look for it, but i can see a line.

Im only 5 months post OP though.

Jon have you considered Scalp MicroPigmentation (SMP) ?

e9617de5-a1e0-49e9-b29c-f7dfbcb08202_zpsd5bb52a4.jpg?t=1406596231

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

@Imnothere

Hi. The slight contrast should fade with time, my friend. Keep those precious grafts away from extended sun exposure and you should be fine for Valentine's day! Take care.

First I will say whtc thanks for great and very truthful reply. No matter what fue scarring will betheir in donor regardless whatever anyone says. Dr mwamba is one of my favorite hairline artist I can vouch for him as he is undoubtedly one of the best hairline designer here on this network. I will not rule out lorenzo, some turkey doctors , bisanga too Now jon in mu opinion dont go for smp. Remmeber smp clinic charges 2000$ to 4000$ and even more. I would rather go for HT and get real real hair rather then having black fake dots so called ink. Trust me look person who has done smp in real then only go for it. Dont trust the photos they dont depict the reality as far smp is concerned. Smp is black dot mark my words they are not hair you know what is real hair and their is no substitute to hair period. Only HT is the way to get hair right now on scalp.

I personally don't see SMP as being practical but to each its own. Ink will always be foreign to the body as it immediately begins to be continually forced out of the body while it fades oftentimes with disfiguring effects. I've seen more than one patient with purple strip scars which only translates to a bad decision manifesting into a further complicating state of unnatural appeal as it can result in further debilitating infractions and wasted resources to say the least. I tend to see SMP as an over priced, one-dimensional form of tattoo art that is highly restrictive to individuals' choices of hairstyles that forever ruin or degrade the orientation and appearance of the scalp forever.