Getting transplant soon (2000+ grafts) - Need your advice on expectations [Pics Here]

ridge9

Hey everyone,

So I've finally embarked on this journey and am scheduled to receive my transplant soon. One thing I've read/seen a lot of was before the surgery the surgeon typically draws what they're going to do and asks the patient if they're satisfied. So to prepare myself, I decided to get as much advice as possible and I've decided to ask here.

Here are my pics:

Pic 1:

db-1.jpg

Pic 2:

db-2.jpg

Pic3:

db-3.jpg

Pic 4 (gif):

gifytest.gif

A rough estimate of what I'd like

Pic 1:

db-ex-1.jpg

Pic 2:

db-ex-2.png

Pic 3 (below is Elon Musk, who's apparently had a transplant):

db-ex-3.png

Just wanted your advice/opinions. Where would be the best place for the grafts to go given the choices? I'm going to read every reply and will make sure to take everything into consideration.

Thank you and I really appreciate it!

Hi Ridge9,

Sorry as I don't want to be the first one to spoil the party but 2000 or so grafts is not going to get you looking like the guy in the photo not even close in fact I would remove that image from your mind as unless you are committed to multiple procedures over several years you are not going to get there or close.

Can I ask what and where you have scheduled your ht or are you asking for advice with this? What was the plan and are you looking at fue or fut? Why did they quote 2000 grafts? This will cover the very front of your scalp only and if you spread it too thin you will not be happy with the density especially once grown out.

I can't really tell from the photos what your donor is like from the photos as to how many grafts you might get. You should take a look at other results on this forum for 2000 grafts and see the areas that were covered with it.

---

Former patient and representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

Hi Ridge,

As Garageland says, you are looking at multiple procedures (at least IMO three procedures of 2500 grafts) to get close to the guy in the photo, and a lot depends whether you have the donor hair for that many grafts. However, even just 2500 grafts can make a nice cosmetic difference but you should moderate your expectations and not expect to look close to the guy in the photo after just one procedure. If you are going to go down this route, then like most of us here, it is important to get on Finasteride, if you are not on it already.

He could be wearing a hair piece.

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

As others have mentioned you will need more than 2000 grafts - thats a low number really for the area your wanting to cover,

I would do some more research before deciding to go ahead. Consult with a few more Drs and see what they recommend for you. Im pretty sure it will be more than 2000.

Hi Ridge9,

Sorry as I don't want to be the first one to spoil the party but 2000 or so grafts is not going to get you looking like the guy in the photo not even close.

Don't be sorry at all Garageland, I want honesty so thank you!

Can I ask what and where you have scheduled your ht or are you asking for advice with this? What was the plan and are you looking at fue or fut? Why did they quote 2000 grafts? This will cover the very front of your scalp only and if you spread it too thin you will not be happy with the density especially once grown out.
I think ultimately what happened was about 7-8 months or so I was quoted at about 2300'ish, since then it's gotten worse (I was not on fin or minoxdil). Since then, I think I will need more, but how much more?

Again, I'm not expecting a miracle. So let's say I get 3,000 grafts, what kind of hairline could I reasonably expect? I don't think my density is as good as the average patient, so it may be worse. To answer your question, it will be FUT.

He could be wearing a hair piece.

He is.

Hi Ridge,

As Garageland says, you are looking at multiple procedures (at least IMO three procedures of 2500 grafts) to get close to the guy in the photo, and a lot depends whether you have the donor hair for that many grafts. However, even just 2500 grafts can make a nice cosmetic difference but you should moderate your expectations and not expect to look close to the guy in the photo after just one procedure. If you are going to go down this route, then like most of us here, it is important to get on Finasteride, if you are not on it already.

Thanks for your advice. If I were to get 3,000 grafts, what kind of hairline do you think I'd expect?

You and I have a very similar level of loss.

Here's my experience... 3 HT's (just had #3) with ~5,300 cumulative grafts (having spent the price of a brand new car!). While things are MUCH improved, I'm well aware that I'll never have a full head of hair again (and am quite okay with that).

My donor isn't that great...density is below average, and the sides were thinning, as well (very coarse hair does work in my favor, though) I found a terrific surgeon who made the best of what I do have...and while it's been a LONG journey, its one that I'm incredibly glad to have undergone.

You should put up some photos of your donor. Even if you do have an excellent donor, you should be prepared to spend north of $20k and for it to be at least a two year process (unless your hair characteristics and laxity are so good that you can go to a surgeon like Hasson & Wong and get it all done in one mega-session).

Don't be sorry at all Garageland, I want honesty so thank you!

I think ultimately what happened was about 7-8 months or so I was quoted at about 2300'ish, since then it's gotten worse (I was not on fin or minoxdil). Since then, I think I will need more, but how much more?

Again, I'm not expecting a miracle. So let's say I get 3,000 grafts, what kind of hairline could I reasonably expect? I don't think my density is as good as the average patient, so it may be worse. To answer your question, it will be FUT.

He is.

Thanks for your advice. If I were to get 3,000 grafts, what kind of hairline do you think I'd expect?

Yeah, I agree, I think you will need five to six thousand grafts over two sessions, saving what ever you have left for future loss. Who is your doc?

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

..Or just one session if he has the density/laxity and funds in the neighborhood of $20k

Yeah, I agree, I think you will need five to six thousand grafts over two sessions, saving what ever you have left for future loss. Who is your doc?