head size-I've got a HUGE head

to all the experts:

I have a pretty larg head (well to be honest, I've never seen anyone with such a large head as mine), and it's shaped normally (not like an egg f.e.).

Does this mean I'm doomed? Or to bigger heads have bigger donor resources as well? (How's the poportion of that etc.)..

Usually larger heads require more grafts for decent coverage. However, it is all relative to how much hair loss you are experiencing. Do you have pics?

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Originally posted by aaron1234:

Usually larger heads require more grafts for decent coverage. However, it is all relative to how much hair loss you are experiencing. Do you have pics?

unfortunately no..

This is NOT my head:

LVnhpcuI5QUE.jpg

From where the crown "starts" (just look at the pic) to the hairline it's about 23 cm's (9.1 inches).

my hairline (left temple point to the right one) is about 19 cm width (7.5 inch).

pretty huge, hm? =/

Jim,

A bigger head isn't necessarily bad. But it's not the size that counts...it's how you use it :-).

Seriously though - everything is proportional. The bigger the head, the larger the potential balding area and the more potential donor hair you'll have. It's really a matter of whether the supply can meet the demand. Your goals will have a lot to do with it.

Best wishes,

Bill

thx 4 that scottish guy!

Would you guys mind measuring your heads? From hairline to the crown point (shown by the pic above)? Make sure to stretch the measuring tape tightly.

also from hairline (left temple point to right one)

thanks! icon_smile.gif

Jim,

If you want more specific feedback, you may want to post some photos of the balding areas and donor area. Otherwise, I'm not sure how else we can help you.

You may also want to consult with a few leading physicians to see what can realistically be accomplished for you.

All the Best,

Bill

Originally posted by Bill - Managing Publisher:

Jim,

If you want more specific feedback, you may want to post some photos of the balding areas and donor area. Otherwise, I'm not sure how else we can help you.

You may also want to consult with a few leading physicians to see what can realistically be accomplished for you.

All the Best,

Bill

?

I was asking wether someone could measure their heads too. Not such a big deal I think..

I'm on a business trip just now so I don't have a measuring tape...

But I'm not sure the measurement your asking for is reliable (i.e. I'm not sure what/where my crown start point is exactly). Also, hairlines recede (especially on this forum), so measuring from the hairline doesn't seem so useful.

A better result may be to measure from the bridge of the nose right around to the ridge of bone that sticks out at the back of the head.

Sorry man...I don't have a tape measure that I can easily wrap around my head. If I get one in the future, I'll measure it for you.

That said, you're still better off posting photos and getting feedback on your particular situation than worrying about your head size.

Best wishes,

Bill

Originally posted by JimJohnson:

you guys suck. icon_frown.gif

What a rude drama queen you are.

You have been repeatedly asked to provide PHOTOS, so the experts on this forum could provide you with proper feedback. YOU IGNORED their requests.

Ater reading your asinine posts I wouldn't provide you with dink(Even if I had a tape measure).

-

1st Transplant: 5,485 grafts with Dr Jerry Wong

2nd Transplant: 3,100 grafts with Dr Jerry Wong

3rd Transplant: 5,035 grafts with Dr Sanusi Umar

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Wong

Wow. You guys have been very helpful.

Instead of just measuring your head, this.

Bill, I didn't ask for "experts" to rate my donor hair quality, I asked people to measure their heads. Head size is a very important factor when planning a HT. I don't think you can deny that.

You can have great density and curly hair, but with a huge head you'd still need a lot more grafts than with a smaller head.

That's why I wanted to compare and see how big some of the member's heads were who already had a HT. I didn't ask anyone to rate my donor.

But alright than, If you don't think it's appropriate you can close this thread if you want to.

Jim-

In my experience a "bigger" or "smaller" head cuts both ways; A "bigger" head usually means a larger surface area from which donor can be extracted = more grafts. This sounds good at first, however, there is usually more surface area exposed that needs coverage, so it kind of cancels out the "larger" number of grafts available. And vice versa with a "smaller" head.

What is really key to the issue you bring up is the relative proportions of donor to recipient in any given patient. Hence, simply measuring peoples' heads won't yield useful information for you. Perhaps this is why the forum members are requesting photos- and I concur- the information that will be communicated is what matters: What is (what I like to call) your Relative Supply to Demand Ratio? That will be more apparent from photos than random head measurements, and this will aid you in getting the information you really are after, I think.

Timothy Carman, MD ABHRS

President, (ABHRS)
ABHRS Board of Directors

Jim,

What I think is inappropriate is your constant daily whining when other members haven't measured their head. The reason I asked you to present photos for an assessment is because it will help you a whole lot more than head sizes. You simply don't realize it, but what you're asking for isn't going to help determine anything for you.

Best Regards,

Bill