Should a hat be worn to avoid sunlight on the grafts while driving/In the car?

most modern cars have UV filter automotive glass which should block anything you would need to worry about

also don't open the window and allow direct sunlight to hit your grafted area, just keep it closed especially the driver side window

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

I'm not entirely sure that it's necessary...but I probably would wear one...if for nothing more than peace of mind. Think of all the money you just spent (and more importantly the hope that those precious grafts bring with them)...I'd rather be safe than sorry.

There have been reports of grafts not growing in after prolonged direct exposure to sun on the scalp. It's rare, but I distinctly remember reading about it on this board.

I'm around 3.5 weeks post op and have about 21 hours worth or driving to do over the next few days.

I understand you should avoid direct sunlight on the grafts, but is this important while driving?

I think that unless you are in a convertible then it won't be an issue. With windows up, zero chance of harm as all cars have UV coatings on their windows. With windows down, near zero chance of harm. It's not that you have to avoid direct sunlight, it is that you have to avoid a bad sunburn.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

If you're gonna wear a hat in the car with the windows rolled up to "block the sun" might as well bring an umbrella for when it rains too... (just being silly :D)

Joe is right, direct sunlight needs to be avoided for the first two weeks then after that it is sunburn and also possible hyperpigmentation (permanent discoloring of the skin) that you need to be worried about. Watch out for long direct exposure too though.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

• 7 months later...

I must disagree partially with all is written here.

Most glass cars do not protect totally against UV-A, specially lateral windows.

Glass blocks almost 100% UV-B but not UV-A. UV-A penetrates glass except those specifically prepare for that. Glass protection against UV-A depends on thickness, colour, and layers of glasses mainly and lateral car windows are single layer, normally transparent and not thick enough.

Be aware that UV-A damages skin deeper than UV-B which only burns skin superficially.

Anyhow is not clearly explain by hair transplant doctors how and why sun damage new hair grafts. Is it UV-A or UV-B or both?. Is it due to its heating effect or because new grafts are still not protected by skin?...

It is just clear that if you expose your new hair grafts to sun you will ruin your hair transplant.

I must disagree partially with all is written here.

Most glass cars do not protect totally against UV-A, specially lateral windows.

Glass blocks almost 100% UV-B but not UV-A. UV-A penetrates glass except those specifically prepare for that. Glass protection against UV-A depends on thickness, colour, and layers of glasses mainly and lateral car windows are single layer, normally transparent and not thick enough.

Be aware that UV-A damages skin deeper than UV-B which only burns skin superficially.

Anyhow is not clearly explain by hair transplant doctors how and why sun damage new hair grafts. Is it UV-A or UV-B or both?. Is it due to its heating effect or because new grafts are still not protected by skin?...

It is just clear that if you expose your new hair grafts to sun you will ruin your hair transplant.

He's right. While I'm not sure how much the sun is hitting the top of your head while you're in the car, I wouldn't count on the windows to block out any potentially damaging rays on other parts of your body. While the windshield is treated to block both rays, the rear and side windows generally aren't treated to block the UVA rays - which are the more harmful ones. It's a common misperception that the sun can't cause damage through the windows, but the opposite is actually true. In all honesty, the types of rays that are emitted through the glass are worse for you than the rays you would receive if the windows were rolled down, as you would at least be getting the positive Vitamin D results from the UVB rays you'd also be receiving.

All in all though, regarding your hair transplant, I would just make sure you're not getting long amounts of sun exposure on your scalp - whether in the car or not. I know for me, I wore a hat in the car anyway just for peace of mind.... And I live in Southern California where I would often have the sun hitting my head in the car regardless, so I wanted to be extra careful.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56