Smp over time

Since smp is somewhat new, in my research I have not seen any smp picture past the 5 year mark. Anybody see first hand how smp will look years after?

How about touch ups? I read a lot about touch ups. Well I'm thinking when you do touch ups won't it make it worse? Especially since the dot is not going on the same spot as the original dot. What is the process of this touch up stuff

Also i read up on having smp lasered off. Is it really that easy to have smp lasered off? I just want to research everything about smp and making sure I know of everything smp related

There are going to be better people to answer your questions, but:

I haven't seen any modern hi-fi smp that old.

It depends on what happened with your old smp, if it "bled" ,the touchups won't be as refined. That is one reason that I will wait until they have a better temp smp. Permanent is too long and temporary doesn't last long enough for my taste, with the exception of scar work. I think when people talk about touchups, they are mostly talking about temp smp.

I believe scar5 (it may have been HARIRI) had some smp lasered off and I think that they said they lost some hair. I don't think it is "easy" to lase anything off without possibly doing damage to native hair and possibly risking scarring. I would not do it with the intention of that being a good back up plan.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I am also researching SMP. I mainly want to cover up a scar from a regretful hair transplant. It is very hard to find enough information on SMP. I have researched and got quotes from good look inc, his hair clinic, & scalp aesthetics. The reviews on this companies are all over the map and they only guarantee their work for a year. That is ok i guess considering my hair transplant didn't guarantee anything except leaving me scared however what I don't get is how they determine the number of sessions you require because each one gave me different number of sessions. I wanted to do the front of my head too but I am worried just like you on what it would look like long term. I haven't even seen pictures of people over a year let alone 5 years. oh I am so frustrated I wish I can go back in time to undo my worst decision.

Scar5 is the best on this forum for advice on SMP. Before he replies I will give my perspective.

You have to make a clear distinction between temporary SMP which is intended to fade within 2 years anyway, and permanent SMP which does last the long term but can also fade.

When you have permanent SMP done, you usually have 2-3 sessions and after each session scabs form making the dots look large and 3-D. After 10 days or so the scabs heal and fall off and the dots become smaller and more subtle. So actually the time when the SMP is most "dot-like" is immediately after your sessions. After that most say the look becomes more natural, and if it doesn't most people opt for more sessions.

Things that make SMP fade include sunlight exposure, dry skin and dandruff, heavy sweating immediately after the SMP procedure, and even your body's own immune system "attacking" the pigment.

Even if you had a pristine permanent SMP procedure done, you will still need touchups every year or few years, but SMP is not as expensive as a hair transplant, and it would be like having a haircut to maintain a hairstyle meaning it's just necessary part of the maintenance of your look.

The one thing you should really worry about and research about is that in some cases permanent SMP can turn blue or green.

Lasering it off is not easy and you will have to pay for that and could also permanently damage your hair follicles --> again Scar5 has actual experience here.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

I am only considering HIS for my Bosley scar repair at this time because I have not seen any cases of theirs turning blue (if they exist someone direct me to a link!) and they take a conservative and progressive approach. I can't speak about other permanent SMP clinic work cause honestly don't know.

Also I want a permanent solution for my scar and not temp SMP.

With HIS the dots are never large from what I've seen, and each session they just progressively place more dots making it darker and filling in the gaps not addressed in the previous session.

Touchups are done to make it look more darker or more natural, lower a hairline, and to address fading from what I've seen. So they are just placing more dots where they are needed, not making any individual dots larger.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

Re: touch ups for smp I was referring to if the dot has faded and they go in and touch it up, they will be able to touch up the exact dot meaning they won't get exactly the same spot so hence wouldn't that make first dot bigger...

I seen a lot of vids on HIS and most of them look fake to me. The hairline is just too straight. You can tell that somethings been done...

honestly I don't think they touch-up on individual dots, just do more dots where needed

I do agree especially on Caucasians that a straight and low SMP hairline look unnatural

not sure I would ever have it done myself in the front, but for scar repair it makes sense to me

go dense or go home

I did my HT at Washington Medical Hair Clinic in Rockville MD. They planted 1200 grafts but the growth is pretty sparse and calls more attention to my forehead. I consulted with Dr William Lindsey this week and he said it is a pretty long scar for harvesting just 1200 grafts. He still recommended doing FUT and placing about 2500 grafts on the front and be able to grow the hair to cover the scar. Honestly I don't want my skin cut out again. I am already going with the buzz look but would love to cover up this damn scar. I don't want to go through touch ups every year. And the price on smp is too high to be doing touch ups every year. his quoted me $2400 for 3 sessions and if I wanted to do front it has to be full head which is $4800. I am pretty sure touch ups will be about $1000 every year which is pretty insane.

Well from everything I saw on the sites smp seems good for the scars. You can stil tell but it sure does help. You're right about the costs it just too expensive along with touch ups.

Since you had a transplant does it provide fullness? I never had a transplant so just wondering if it really looks as good as on pictures

I am sure it will look good because it will give an illusion of fullness with the 3D effect still being there with the sparse transplanted hair. On the cost you also have to factor travel & accommodation to the cities where they have good smp clinics unless you are lucky enough to have a good one in your area.

Edited by HTRegret

Real hair from FUE (or even a FUT to revise the current scar) plus SMP would be the best for scars.

I had around 60 3-hair grafts placed into my Bosley scar and they are growing now and the difference is quite noticeable compared to before

You wont need many "touchups" with SMP for scars, the comments I wrote to Baldybee2 were about touchups for SMP into the frontal scalp.

However, scars do seem to "suck up pigment ink" according to HIS and those who had it done. they do have a one year guarantee so best to get as many treatments in under that guarantee.

Btw, Hong Kong for you would be too far I think but HIS in Hong Kong as there are no taxes could be up to about 20% cheaper than other HIS clinics. Just some extra info

go dense or go home