Smp for a norwood 2.5

What you guys think about getting smp for a norwood 2/2.5 head. Just wondering if they would have to do smp to the entire head or just the bald thinning areas like the front corners in my case. I'm asian so not sure if it will blend right or not. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated. And also if I continue to thin would smp look right?

I've researched into it enough to find out the major SMP clinic who also does HT's does like to SMP your entire head, even if you just want it in some partial areas

they never gave me an answer on whether it turns blue or not, so that was the end of my dealings with them

I believe HIS will do it for added illusion of density, and will not demand the entire scalp be done

but you have to be careful about permanent SMP especially if future hair loss appears likely, it may not look ideal depending on how much hair you lose

I've been looking into SMP for Bosley scar repair btw

one of the odd things about permanent SMP is that it does fade, so going conservative at at only 2 sessions for example may give you a good idea what it looks like, and also save you from making a deep commitment that cannot be undone - though SMP can indeed be lasered off

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

Bee,

Most clinics would likely evaluate your scalp and add micropigmentation to all areas necessary in order to create a uniform look. This would probably involve adding pigmentation to both "bald" areas and thinning areas. I'm not certain if I have seen an example of SMP performed on an Asian patient. As long as the hairline was designed appropriately (Asian patients tend to have a wider, rounder hairline), I don't see why it couldn't be as natural as SMP performed on any other individual. You will need to undergo additional sessions in the future if you do continue to recede. Also, most clinics use dark shades of brown pigmentation, opposed to black, in the ink because it tends not to fade into the dreaded blue-ish, green-ish hue.

Have you reviewed any of the SMP results posted on our forums or consulted with any of our recommended clinics offering SMP?

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Thanks for all the replies.

I have not contacted any of the smp clinics. Right now just researching. I'm a norwood 2/2.5 and thinking about smp rather than a hair transplant. I just feel that hair transplant won't give you density or fullness. The only thing is I haven't seen a lot of norwood 2s getting smp or I haven't seen any examples

How long do you wear your hair btw?

SMP seems best when very short or shaved, so you might also have to commit to that length

If you want to contact someone about Asian hair and SMP, Jonathan at HIS in Hong Kong is a very helpful guy.

I am not recommending you take the leap to permanent SMP right now, just letting you know how to gain more information.

Good luck with the research and your journey

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

Right now I have long hair. But if I do get smp I understand I will have to shave my hair forever.

If I go the hair hair transplant route is it necessary to be on meds like propecia? Not everyone who gets transplants are on meds? Any feedback on this subject are welcome. I'm really curious about this

I wouldn't recommend a HT without meds, nor a HT without trying meds first especially at your age

the ones here who have done it without meds including myself are older and also have relatively stable loss

go dense or go home

If you are truly a NW2 or 2.5, don't waste your time with SMP. You not only have to shave your head you have to shave your head daily because the work will be right up front where everyone can see it and the difference in length that will develop every day from continuous growth of the hair behind the work will create an imbalance that will be noticeable. My clinic offers the temporary form of SMP and I have no problem telling you to seek alternative solutions. SMP is ideal for those that have too much loss for surgery or for those that want to thicken a mildly thinning area. It is not a good idea however for those that want to lower a hairline.

You should be on Propecia regardless of surgery because you don't want to lose more hair. With luck, you won't need to do anything beyond that.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Thanks for the reply. I'm about a Norwood 2/2.5 and just wanted a more uniform blended look. Being Asian with the black hair and light scalp when you shave your head you can see right away areas of thinning. Almost patchy. I just figured smp will do the trick and will blend in easy. But your saying it will not?

Also I read a lot about the combo of fue and smp. I'm thinking if you do this wouldn't the fue scars be a problem? It would show when you shave your head so when do they address the scar when you decide for the combo of fue and smp.

Lastly does fue hair transplant give you density for the front corners of the hairline or would you need multiple transplant. Pictures on the web look good but pictures are pictures

Fue and even SMP may be a option, but because of your age and not wanting to start meds, FUE surgery may not be the best idea, could even cause shockloss to your existing hair if not taking any meds

go dense or go home