Doubles in Hairline- Concerned

Hello All,

This forum has been extremely helpful to me, I want to thank the moderators and posters.

Now I recently got my HT done from a fairly respected surgeon and at about 10 days post op when I touching the scabs gently at forehead/start of hairline a few came out (as expected) what concerned me was doubles (hair) in most of the scabs. Looking very closely at hairline my wife could see several doubles right at the front of hairline. Is this normal because from what I have read they should have implanted singles in the front to avoid the pluggy look.

Also, the surgeon did not demarcate the area where singles/doubles and multiples were to be inserted prior to implantation.

I am quite concerned about this, please provide your inputs regarding doubles in the hairline

Thanks

are you talking about the front edge leading "line" itself?

or the area immediately just behind it?

depending on how fine/course your hair is and where they were placed may not be an issue

would have to see pics though to tell

Also the "doubles" could just be two one hair grafts stuck with and coming out with the same scab

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

Hi, it is on front edge of the hairline;

How I am certain- While implanting they have actually implanted a few (about 7-8 grafts) even ahead (but quite close) of the front of hairline in the forehead and about 4-5 of them are doubles. This does not seem to be an attempt to create an irregular hairline but actual mistake by the implant person, since they are very few it does not matter much but they are doubles for sure. In the front of the hairline however there seem to several doubles.

Thanks

Could be then man, sorry to hear that.

What does the clinic and your doctor say?

That is one of the reasons I am a big fan of docs who do the graft placement themselves (though at a higher cost in some cases)

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

The doctor did not place the grafts, his technicians did the implantation. There were various other things which I did not particularly like about the whole experience with this surgeon but they may not be as concerning as the hairline issue.

Any other folks want to share their comments etc. on the double grafts in the hairline?

There were various other things which I did not particularly like about the whole experience with this surgeon but they may not be as concerning as the hairline issue.

for the sake of other future patients which clinic and surgeon did you go with?

go dense or go home

Hi James,

Please keep us updated. If the grafts have already shed, however, I'm not certain the other clinic will be able to provide much information. What's more, I do think speaking with the original surgeon could provide a lot of clarification. Regardless, I look forward to your reply.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Most grafts have not shed, I am about 10 days post op. The original doctor is not in same town as I am so will first go to the nearest doc whom I have consulted before, I feel he should be able to tell if they are doubles.

You're right that doubles in the hairline are generally not what this industry should be doing this day in age. However, 10 days out is not even close to being able to determine this. You will have to wait till you start getting the transplanted grafts growing and can see where they fall into place. It may be possible to tell this early, but there are also other reasons to explain it.

Doubles in the hairline can be done but very sparingly and in an artistic manner. There is a lot of info on here regarding this topic. I was a victim of a run of the mill hair clinic that did this to me. It is generally a sign of a hack, not a respected surgeon or clinic. No reason for HT to look pluggy anymore, unless done improperly.

Can we merge the duplicate threads on this by same OP?

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/175566-doubles-hairline-concerned.html

go dense or go home

I would not stress over it right now, most doctors usually use only single hairs the first few millimeters when working in the hairline. Depending on your type of hair it might not look all that bad if you only have a few doubles in the hairline. Be patient and give it time. Doing hairlines takes a very special skill by the doctor and I hate to say it, but some doctors possess that skill and some don't. It takes a lot of artistic skill to make hairlines look good. At this point in time it will be very hard to tell what everything will look like until it grows out.

I am employed as the patient coordinator and office manager for Chicago Hair Transplant Clinic. Feel free to ask me any questions.

Dr. Panine is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be interperted as medical advice

Can we merge the duplicate threads on this by same OP?

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/175566-doubles-hairline-concerned.html

I've merged these two discussions.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Another fallacy that clinics fail to tell you about. When a multi-hair graft(2,3 or 4 hair graft) is extracted, it is possible that one or a select number of HAIRS in the graft are in the dormant stage of their cycle. Hence, a 3-hair graft can appear as a 1-hair graft, a 2-hair graft can appear as a 1-hair graft, etc. The dormant hairs cannot be seen via microscope. This is completely out of the surgeon's hands and is simply inherent current hair transplantation. More should be done in terms of informing the perspective patient about circumstances like this but alas, that would be bad for business.

You're right that doubles in the hairline are generally not what this industry should be doing this day in age. However, 10 days out is not even close to being able to determine this. You will have to wait till you start getting the transplanted grafts growing and can see where they fall into place. It may be possible to tell this early, but there are also other reasons to explain it.

Doubles in the hairline can be done but very sparingly and in an artistic manner. There is a lot of info on here regarding this topic. I was a victim of a run of the mill hair clinic that did this to me. It is generally a sign of a hack, not a respected surgeon or clinic. No reason for HT to look pluggy anymore, unless done improperly.

Thanks for your response, at present I am able to examine the scabs with hair attached coming out from very front of the hairline when i gently touch it and that is how I am able to determine they are double hair grafts. They are pretty visible without help of microscope or magnifying glass. I went to a clinic which is talked about frequently in this forum with mostly positive reviews so maybe the end result might be fine.

In your case what was the percentage of doubles vs singles that were implanted in the hairline? Are they a concern if hair is combed forward (with hairline possibly hidden?