Help me make my final decision for FUT doctor....

GuitarBoy

Hi everyone.

I'm a 29 year old guy, and I have been considering getting a HT for years. From the consultation I've had, the general recommendation ranges between 1,300 - 1,500 grafts - these would go in my temples and also towards lowering my hairline a little. That's the overall goal.

I love to style my hair a lot, so placement is really important to me. The most natural result possible if what I'm after.

I would love to do FUE (I live in Europe, so we have some amazing options for that here), but I can't do the shaving the back of my head thing - can't wear a hat in my job and I don't want people to know about this. So FUT it will be.

I've narrowed down my list to the following doctors. I feel like I've been stuck in the detail of looking at each of their work for so long now that I'd just love some external input to help make my final decision. Here is my list:

Shapiro

Rahal

Konior

Feller

All thoughts, comments, opinions are welcome...

GuitarBoy-

I'm early along in the process (one week post-op), but I had a wonderful experience with Shapiro. You can see the thread I started last week and follow the first week of my experience, including pictures. It has been extremely easy for me so far.

You can't go wrong with your list. Do your research and decide what is important to you and then do your research and the decision will come much easier. It took me 2 years to choose.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Some excellent surgeons in that list.

For 1500 grafts you only want to consider FUT? If you take a few weeks off work, the hair at the back of the hair won't grow enough if FUE is done? Work people shouldn't be a deciding factor in your decision. All the best of luck either way.

The problem with this is that the extraction are is concentrated. If you go fue I would shave the whole area and with that amount of grafts it should be notable in a week to ten days.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Thanks for all your input, and yes please keep any thoughts or ideas coming!

I did consider FUE, but I wrote it off on the basis of how noticable it would be. I know that might not be the right way to think about this. And if it was possible for me to take enough time off work until the hair grows back, then I would do FUE for sure. But my hair is maybe 1.5 inches long at the back, so if I shaved an area there is no way it would grow back sufficiently in a few weeks.

And cutting it shorter all over just isn't an option for me! So unless there is a hairstyle that works where I could cut the back relatively short and leave it longer on top...

The Forest Gump look?

The back grows within a few weeks. The strip can look visible if the back of the head hair is quite short. Plus shock loss is clear as day. This is the case with me now, can't hide the scar or the shock loss or the shaved strip area unless I use a nanogen pencil which helps a bit.

You're a young guy so you could get an undercut. When it comes to the surgery they can trim it down a bit further and then after 2 weeks off it should look reasonably unnoticeable.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day