Too soon for a transplant? Need opinions

I need some opinions on whether I should wait until I have lost more hair in what would be the recipient area before going for a HT.

My concern is with the existing hair that I know is destined to disappear. If I get a transplant now, I fear that when the old hair vacates then I'll be back (or close) to square one. I recognize that future procedures may be necessary if one's balding progresses further, but I don't like the idea of having to repair the same area twice.

I've attached a few images depicting my hair's current state. I typically wear my hair forward, which the majority of images depict, to cover up the rough hair line. Also, I've been on Avodart and Rogaine for the past few years and plan on continuing with these even after a transplant. What's interesting is that my hair stylist noted that the hair in my frontal region is different than the rest of my hair. You can see where it looks rather straight compared to the curly sides and back areas. It could be because the actual volume there is considerably less, but I rather wonder if this is the effect of Avodart/Rogaine's regrowth. Also of note is I'm 42 years old.

I am pretty certain I will be going with Dr. Konior. His reputation is top notch. Via his virtual consultation he recommended between 2000-2500 grafts. To me that sounds like more than "filling in the blanks" because I've seen other posters who have had similar graft counts but with far more advanced balding.

Lastly, I'm curious if a transplant could be performed with the anticipation that the existing hair will be lost so that when it does, it won't be noticed (as much, anyway)? Perhaps Konior's graft recommendation is for exactly that? -- guess I should ask him that but would appreciate any opinions here first.

backExposingHairline.jpg.73a45a6aefa356c266c5e7b86d8d1c04.jpg

frontView1.jpg.0b31b239e4e38e6c6459a0e4c95eb3d7.jpg

frontView2.jpg.3ccda8ada64f8927d072d93be995f21b.jpg

sideView.jpg.09fe9b61e91a45b2949879a94584ac41.jpg

threeQuartersView1.jpg.73a87c8eb5c557004589403e226cef35.jpg

threeQuartersView2.jpg.365a34bc397534ea20e1a71875f0b0df.jpg

Take pics again but this time with your forehead exposed to see the severity of your thinning. From the looks of it, it looks like you could get some work done in the front but it's unclear. Avodart and Rogaine is a very good combination, I would use Kirkland's minoxidil solution because it penetrates the skin better than the foam.

I'm sure he is thinking of future loss as well. The meds won't save the frontal third. They just slow down the inevitable. The good news is your mid-scalp looks solid at 42, so 2,500 grafts into your frontal third is going to hold you for a while and make a dramatic difference in your cosmetic appearance. He'll 'march' a little bit into your already miniaturizing hairs that will be lost eventually anyway to time and genetics. This will make the transition zone more seamless as well as take into account future loss.

3,425 FUT grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Nov 2013

1,600 FUE grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Dec 2018

I'm sure he is thinking of future loss as well. The meds won't save the frontal third. They just slow down the inevitable. The good news is your mid-scalp looks solid at 42, so 2,500 grafts into your frontal third is going to hold you for a while and make a dramatic difference in your cosmetic appearance. He'll 'march' a little bit into your already miniaturizing hairs that will be lost eventually anyway to time and genetics. This will make the transition zone more seamless as well as take into account future loss.

I agree with this.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I need some opinions on whether I should wait until I have lost more hair in what would be the recipient area before going for a HT.

My concern is with the existing hair that I know is destined to disappear. If I get a transplant now, I fear that when the old hair vacates then I'll be back (or close) to square one. I recognize that future procedures may be necessary if one's balding progresses further, but I don't like the idea of having to repair the same area twice.

I've attached a few images depicting my hair's current state. I typically wear my hair forward, which the majority of images depict, to cover up the rough hair line. Also, I've been on Avodart and Rogaine for the past few years and plan on continuing with these even after a transplant. What's interesting is that my hair stylist noted that the hair in my frontal region is different than the rest of my hair. You can see where it looks rather straight compared to the curly sides and back areas. It could be because the actual volume there is considerably less, but I rather wonder if this is the effect of Avodart/Rogaine's regrowth. Also of note is I'm 42 years old.

I am pretty certain I will be going with Dr. Konior. His reputation is top notch. Via his virtual consultation he recommended between 2000-2500 grafts. To me that sounds like more than "filling in the blanks" because I've seen other posters who have had similar graft counts but with far more advanced balding.

Lastly, I'm curious if a transplant could be performed with the anticipation that the existing hair will be lost so that when it does, it won't be noticed (as much, anyway)? Perhaps Konior's graft recommendation is for exactly that? -- guess I should ask him that but would appreciate any opinions here first.

I think you are a great candidate and no it is not too early. I suspect the doc will really want to shave the front and make a fresh start in that area.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day