Donor Scar Question

I have a donor scar still healing and red. I can't make out a distinct white line yet to determine the width. However, the part of my skin that is still red is wide. Is that area of redness going to be the width of the final scar, or does the surrounding tissue also get affected and become red while the scar is healing. Thanks.

Is it possible for you to put up a pic of the scar?

Is it raised or just red?

How long ago did you have your procedure? If it was recent, time alone can potentially work wonders as your body heals and repairs itself.

Some individuals can have a lingering redness for up to a three months and a smaller percent, longer.

Typically the area just above and below the linear scar will resume normal scalp tissue color, but only time will tell.

What did your surgeon recommend to treat it with?

Whatever you do, "DON'T" put Mederma an over-the-counter cream on it at this point in time.

Your surgeon may recommend a topical steroid or if the redness persists, a higher concentration of a topical steroid to help lighten the scar.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I've tried to get a good pic, but haven't had much success.

It's not raised, just red.

I had the procedure 6 months ago.

And so you're saying it's normal for area above and below to be red? So it's probably not as wide as it appears now?

Thanks for the help

I find the easiest way to find the true width is like this:

Hold a small mirror in front of you and stand with your back to your bathroom mirror (to see the back of your head).

Run a comb upwards from neck to crown a few times. You should be able to pick up the scar and determine the approximate width.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Thanks for the tip...that's the first time I tried that. Unfortunately, it appears my concerns were real and that the area of redness isn't just red skin, but scar tissue. So the strip is fairly wide which I'm very disappointed about. Being at 6 months...Is that width going to get any better as the scar heals? Or am I stuck with the width?

Thanks for the tip...that's the first time I tried that. Unfortunately, it appears my concerns were real and that the area of redness isn't just red skin, but scar tissue. So the strip is fairly wide which I'm very disappointed about. Being at 6 months...Is that width going to get any better as the scar heals? Or am I stuck with the width?

Not necessarily. It could just be hair shocked out that might not return for another 6 months or so. In my case, the right side isn't as good as the left yet.

I healed pretty quick and have lost the redness. I am 2 months ahead of you so I wouldn't worry about it. Just keep avoiding head movements that might cause stretching and wait it out for another 6 months.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Yeah I still do not see any kind of definite line at all...It's just a square block basically extending across my head. So I'm hoping that it's not all scar tissue and maybe just hair shocked out like you said. Is it typical for hair to take that long to come back though?

When can you get a good read on a strip scar?

Depending in how well one heals, IMHO it takes at least a good solid year to fairly judge the donor scar.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

I've tried to get a good pic, but haven't had much success.

It's not raised, just red.

I had the procedure 6 months ago.

And so you're saying it's normal for area above and below to be red? So it's probably not as wide as it appears now?

Thanks for the help

Yes, I think you will find improvement each month that passes from this point in time. Remember, no Mederma cream at this point in time.

Gillenator

Thanks for the replies...I used the small mirror facing a mirror technique to get a better look at it. Towards the left side of the scar, there is no hair growing at all. I'm trying to tell if its all shock loss or scar tissue. Is it still too early to tell the width? I'm afraid that its all scar tissue, and it looks pretty wide.

Yeah I still do not see any kind of definite line at all...It's just a square block basically extending across my head. So I'm hoping that it's not all scar tissue and maybe just hair shocked out like you said. Is it typical for hair to take that long to come back though?

Around two months post-op I noticed a rectangular bald patch around an area of my donor scar and became concerned that it was stretching. It made me anxious and I looked at it everyday for a couple of weeks. Then I finally decided that there wasn't anything I could do about it and tried to forget about it for a month. I did. When I looked again, I couldn't find it. The hair had grown back in so I attribute it to shock loss. There's nothing you can really do about it now, so try to forget about it and check it again in a month or so. Good luck.

3,425 FUT grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Nov 2013

1,600 FUE grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Dec 2018

Wow and you said it disappeared after a while? That's very encouraging as I've almost convinced myself it is stretching. When you ran your finger over it at the time what did it feel like if you recall?

Like I said, I ignored it for a month or so, put it out of my mind. To be honest, I don't know what the scar looks like because I can't find it. I had my daughter look and she couldn't find it either.

3,425 FUT grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Nov 2013

1,600 FUE grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Dec 2018