Hat wearing

There is no need to apologise.

There is alot of debate on this matter as it comes down to when are the grafts secure.

I am currently doing research into this matter and will post my findings in a week.

To be on the safe side, I would recommend not wearing anything tight, a fitting cap or otherwise for 10 days. This goes for anything that will rub on the treated areas (my opinion).

I wore a cap with the base resting on a headband to stop it touching the grafts.

I take my sorry back icon_smile.gif

The reason why I am asking, is if I have to go to work it would look ridiculous without wearing anything at all. I just want to know what other options for covering up my head and how soon.

Thank you Maxxy, let us know about your research. I am sure it will benefit others too.

I wore a loose fitting baseball hat for a couple weeks, but my job didn't have a dress code. After the scabs went away, I started applying the concealer again. It was my only hope throughout the ugly-duckling period. Now on the days when I can wear a hat, I don't bother with the concealer, and the hats are fitted.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

I wore a baseball hat the next day after surgery. But I did have plastic wrap placed on top of the recipient site so the hat wouldn't touch the grafts directly. The hat didn't cover my scar but it didn't need to. My hair was long enough to cover it and the scar was pretty thin with no shockloss.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

I wore a loose fitting hat after the ten day point that did not touch the recipient area and covered the scar at the same time--I wore nothing before that. At the six week mark I began to wear a fitted hat, the grafts are secure at that point.

Here is a pic of the hat that I wore and sometimes still do when headed out. The brand name is Goorin:

Hat.thumb.JPG.2187de1ae8d61216d752dd52c09dbdf2.JPG

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

Mikey,

Everyone here has given you some good advice.

I'll just say from personal experience that I was a little surprised at just how loose the hat had to be if you were going to wear one. Frankly, I looked like an idiot with such a loose hat on that I often opted not to go out for awhile, that is, until I discovered that a bandana works very nicely to cover your head but protect the grafts icon_smile.gif.

In my opinion, don't wear anything snug on your head for 10 days.

Best wishes,

Bill

We suggest patients just "set the hat on the head" rather than pull it on like you would usually wear it for 3 days. I am always concerned someone will pull that hat down snuggly and out pop hundreds of grafts like potatos out of John Belushi's mouth in Animal House.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Mikey,

I was told by my doctor (Cooley) that it is okay to wear a hat just so that the grafts are protected by the saran wrap for the first 7 days. Because on day 7 I went back to Dr. Cooley's office to have the scab's cleaned off and removed and they put on some new solution for 30 minutes and then they scrubed the recipent area fairly hard to clean of the scabs. And I was told that my scabing was very good and I did a great job keeping the grafts and head clean. So, I would have hated to see if someone would have not cleaned their head and used the Regranex during the first 7 days.

After 7 days those grafts are locked and loaded.

Me being super cautious I only went out on a few occasions to the grocery store and I only wore those light blue surgical hats for the first 2 months.

Somebody once posted good advice in my opinion.

They said if you are going to wear a ball cap to not only to wear it loosely but to loosen the back totally before removing it. So if its a velcro or snap back just undo the back before removing it so there is no harsh pulling of any kind. icon_smile.gif

4374 grafts-7/2/2008-Dr Rahal

485 singles

2336 doubles

1526 triples

16 quads

9809 total hairs

i was told that the grafts are fully secure after 8 days. post surgery your doc will provide you with explicit instructions which you should follow as closely as possible.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

• 1 month later...

i was going to wear a wool hat but sow a sof cotton lining on the inside(well to be honet my sister was)

is this ok/possible

I want to enjoy new york for the following 5 days and dont want to feel paranoid!

any ideas

Originally posted by hairdoyle:

i was going to wear a wool hat but sow a sof cotton lining on the inside(well to be honet my sister was)

is this ok/possible

I want to enjoy new york for the following 5 days and dont want to feel paranoid!

any ideas

When they had that show Jon and Kate plus 8 a wool hat pulled out a graft right after his surgery. That is the only thing I know about those kind of hats.

4374 grafts-7/2/2008-Dr Rahal

485 singles

2336 doubles

1526 triples

16 quads

9809 total hairs

If you are concerned about finding an oversize hat, there are plenty of mail order websites that sell hats for blokes with big heads. That's what I've done - I've bought three that way. Not sure what I will do with them afterwards though ...

17 Feb 09 - 3,200 FUs by strip surgery (Dr Feller)

My Hair Loss Website

Get an adjustable one and keep in mind it needs to be much bigger in the beginning as your whole head will swell post op ..After about a week or so it will reduce.

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

I wore a loose fitting baseball hat from day 1. I just made sure not to let it touch the recipient area at all. When I took it off, I pulled down on the bill, not up, thus removing the back of the cap first. I am 4 months in, and so far, I cant believe how much hair is there. So as a hat guy, I would say.. just dont disturb the garden!

• 3 weeks later...

I would imagine the biggest risk wearing it day 1-2 is bleeding. Continued bleeding/scab can cause the hair to stick to the hat and hence come off with the hat icon_razz.gif

I myself avoided wearing a hat for 3 days, then after, I wore a loosely fitted one that did not rest on my recipient site.