Probably a stupid question...

How come the individual hairs grow at different cycles? Why do they not all come in at once? I take it this is completely normal...?

I am now 4 months and 8 days post-op hair transplant (FUT) surgery (2000 grafts/3500 hairs), and I am seeing new hairs coming in, but nothing too impressive. Should I be worried? I am seeing 300-500 hairs at most.

My head still looks very bare, some areas more than others.

Thanks in advance!

Easily the stupidest question I've seen. Don't ever post a stupid question like this again. God I can't even stand to look at it.

Kidding :)

One of the reasons the hairs come in at different times is because not all hairs were transplanted in the recipient area exactly the same. Some may get more blood flow than others based on their location and how they were transplanted. There may be other reasons, but what you're describing sounds completely normal. You shouldn't expect to see a improvement until at least 6 months out, and it can take up to 18 months for the full result. Everyone progresses differently.

The newly transplanted hairs are initially synchronous when they first grow in — i.e. they tend to all grow in around the same time (with some variability). This is in contrast to normal hair, where every hair is on its own independent cycle. Sometimes the newly transplanted hair will shed at one time before the cycles of each hair become more varied asynchronous.

Paulygon is a former patient of Dr. Parsa Mohebi

My regimen includes:

HT #1 2710 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in 2012

Rogaine foam 2x daily, since 2012 (stopped ~10/2015)

Finasteride 1.25mg daily, since 2012 (stopped ~12/2015)

HT #2 3238 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in Jun. 2016

Started Rogaine and Propecia in July. 2016 after being off of them for about a year.

Mirror, I feel like we already covered this in your other thread. If 'it's normal' isn't enough for you and you want to know the 'why' of it, this is a pretty clear, straightforward explanation from my surgeon's rep:

Hair grows so differently between individual hair follicles and zones of implantation. If you are like everyone else, you will be looking at it daily and puzzling over the final result. Consider yourself totally normal. You will have additional hair emerging into view with time, so it's best not to start really analyzing anything until the 9-12 month mark. When it starts growing, it is initially under the skin and then often emerges baby fine and with little or no pigmentation. This slow and discreet process can be disconcerting, especially when other hair has emerged and become visible more quickly.

3,425 FUT grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Nov 2013

1,600 FUE grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Dec 2018

Thank you one and all!

I kinda already knew the answer to my question, but I guess it can't be helped.

"Trouble

Trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble

Trouble been doggin' my soul

Since the day I was born

Worry

Worry, worry, worry, worry

Worry just will not seem to leave

My mind alone"

... if you catch my drift.