Upcoming Otoplasty

1 hour ago, SadMan2021 said:

I was put completely to sleep into the twilight zone by the anesthesia

Really? I chose to stay wide awake during my otoplasty, I was talking to the surgeon and assistants just like with my HT's! They did comment that I was especially ballsy to do this however, since most people choose to go under.

1 hour ago, Baldingat22 said:

If your ears are pointy can they change that too?

Oh heck yeah! In fact the procedure of getting pointy ears, aka the "Elf Ears" surgery, has become a bit of a popular thing among zoomers and cosplayers in recent years. You can change the shape of your ears for sure! This clip is from way back in 2013 almost a decade ago, and it's gotten way more popular since then!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, OtherSyde said:

Really? I chose to stay wide awake during my otoplasty, I was talking to the surgeon and assistants just like with my HT's! They did comment that I was especially ballsy to do this however, since most people choose to go under.

Oh heck yeah! In fact the procedure of getting pointy ears, aka the "Elf Ears" surgery, has become a bit of a popular thing among zoomers and cosplayers in recent years. You can change the shape of your ears for sure! This clip is from way back in 2013 almost a decade ago, and it's gotten way more popular since then!

Interesting I get made fun of for elf ears lol 

3 minutes ago, OtherSyde said:

You'd probably get made fun of for trying to sell your bathwater online too, but cute girls on the internet can do literally anything and it basically just works haha

Probably right lol I guess I grew up in the generation were big pointy ears were not liked but nowadays people want to look like Christmas characters I guess lol 

4 hours ago, OtherSyde said:

oh funny! I would go under for a hair transplant too if that was an option lol I'd prefer to not be awake. I was super young when I had my otoplasty done - only 12. I remember they gave me the light stuff at first but I was moving around alot still so they had to put me all the way under

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

No idea how I glossed over this thread but just had an otoplasty 9-10 days ago and everything looks great so far. I love my ears being pinned back. Quick question how on earth did you sleep on your back for 6 weeks after the surgery? It has been torture for a stomach sleeper to sleep on my back.

Also how soon were you able to get back to the gym? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stephcurry30 said:

No idea how I glossed over this thread but just had an otoplasty 9-10 days ago and everything looks great so far. I love my ears being pinned back. Quick question how on earth did you sleep on your back for 6 weeks after the surgery? It has been torture for a stomach sleeper to sleep on my back.

Also how soon were you able to get back to the gym? 

Yeah sleeping on your back is no fun for side-sleepers (like me) or stomach sleepers, I don't think I did it for a full 6 weeks though - I'm pretty sure I did it for 3-4 weeks until the sutures were out and my ears were fairly sturdy in place, and I couldn't take it anymore, so I bought some stretchy gauze bandaging for a few bucks at Wal Mart or whatever and I would wrap it around my head a few times, securely covering my ears so they wouldn't move around or damage any of the healing incisions.

For the the gym I was back to working out (lightly) in about 3 weeks as well, since there are no muscles you're gonna pull in your ears (unlike with an FUT incision on the back of your head, where doing shrugs or dead-lifts or whatever, will engage your rear neck-muscles and stretch open your scar - gotta wait longer for that). I'm sure they recommend waiting a bit longer to work out, but I got no ill effects from working out about 3 weeks post-op.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, OtherSyde said:

Yeah sleeping on your back is no fun for side-sleepers (like me) or stomach sleepers, I don't think I did it for a full 6 weeks though - I'm pretty sure I did it for 3-4 weeks until the sutures were out and my ears were fairly sturdy in place, and I couldn't take it anymore, so I bought some stretchy gauze bandaging for a few bucks at Wal Mart or whatever and I would wrap it around my head a few times, securely covering my ears so they wouldn't move around or damage any of the healing incisions.

For the the gym I was back to working out (lightly) in about 3 weeks as well, since there are no muscles you're gonna pull in your ears (unlike with an FUT incision on the back of your head, where doing shrugs or dead-lifts or whatever, will engage your rear neck-muscles and stretch open your scar - gotta wait longer for that). I'm sure they recommend waiting a bit longer to work out, but I got no ill effects from working out about 3 weeks post-op.

Perfect. My doctor told me I can start working out at 2 weeks after surgery but I'll probably use that 3rd week as a light workout week before going 100% back into it. 

And appreciate the heads up on the 6 weeks. I'm roughly 10/11 days post OP and can't stand sleeping on my back already. Will give it another few weeks before I talk with my doctor about sleeping on my stomach again. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hey @OtherSyde I am very interested in otoplasty. Can you please tell us about the scars? I would like an honest opinion about how visible they are to people. If you can post pictures that would be most appreciated. 

Can they be seen in the elevator by someone behind you? 

Any chance of hiding them from a girlfriend? .... 

This thread makes me miss Schofield.  I lived in the quad across the street from the Nehelani Club and the Inn at Schofield.  I assume you're long gone from Hawaii by now, OP?  Fun place to spend time.

Edited by John1991

• Administrators

@OtherSyde is definitely lookmaxxing. 

• Haha 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.