FUE Crown Question

Although I know more than I care to about FUT, I must say, I am a FUE novice.

Question: If your doing an FUE for the crown, would the doc not extract all 2 and 3s and essentially no ones unless he is using them to create the center swirl? I ask because I have seen crown FUEs where ones are extracted. Why do this when you can pick and choose the FU groupings and 2 and 3s will give better density obviously?

Also what is the strategy for where to take the FUE extractions from? It seems random to me.

Mickey, anyone??

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

I think that this is very possible, but would be more possible if you have a high number of 2's and 3's and are a virgin scalp. I would guess that many of your best grafts have already been harvested. I definitely think that it can be done (not sure about getting no ones, but you should really be able to up your hair count by being selective). I would contact an FUE doctor and talk to them about it and ask them if they will do it and if it will increase the price of the procedure. If you spent an extra 3 seconds per graft to find the 2's and 3's and did 1000 grafts, it would almost take an extra hour of extraction time.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

The consummate FUE surgeons will pay attention to what grafts they harvest. For example, when filling in a strip scar, a surgeon like Maras will target the multi-hair grafts and leave out all the singles in order to fill it in in the most efficient and effective way possible as multi-hair grafts give more coverage. I used Maras as a specific example because of a consult with him where he explained this. The same would generally go for the crown. Ideally, singles would be used for the swirl whilst multi-hair grafts used around it, again to provide better coverage and density. However, not all FUE docs are equal and it would pay to ask them individually what their philosophy on graft selection for crown cases is. If they do not mention anything about targeting multi-hair grafts for added density/coverage, chances are they do not.

I think grafts for the crown are mainly taken from the occipital region as they are not naturally fine hairs like in a natural hairline for example(where some surgeons would target the finer single hairs from near the ears etc).

CD, When I had my temple points done via FUE Dr. Feller cherry picked mostly singles. I know he also used some singles in my crown during my first strip as he was recreating the swirl (as Mickey points out). But most of the crown was bolstered by multi-hair grafts.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Thanks guys. I think I have about 1800-2000 left via FUE. Trying to decide when to pull the trigger. The crown looks decent now but another 1500 would put me exactly where I always wanted to be, expand my styling options back there, and allow me to cut my hair somewhat shorter since I need to grow out certain areas of the crown now for added coverage (Not a comb over :)

My Hairloss Web Site -

7871 Grafts

Cantdecide, this was a great question. Are you certain that your next procedure will be FUE.. or are you still deciding? Do you have the option of getting more strip procedures, or are you maxed out in that respect?

I saw that you wrote "I think I have about 1800-2000 left via FUE". How do you arrive at this number?

I'm also in a position where I am trying to figure out how best to tackle my crown for my next procedure

Paulygon is a former patient of Dr. Parsa Mohebi

My regimen includes:

HT #1 2710 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in 2012

Rogaine foam 2x daily, since 2012 (stopped ~10/2015)

Finasteride 1.25mg daily, since 2012 (stopped ~12/2015)

HT #2 3238 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in Jun. 2016

Started Rogaine and Propecia in July. 2016 after being off of them for about a year.

Cantdecide, this was a great question. Are you certain that your next procedure will be FUE.. or are you still deciding? Do you have the option of getting more strip procedures, or are you maxed out in that respect?

I saw that you wrote "I think I have about 1800-2000 left via FUE". How do you arrive at this number?

I'm also in a position where I am trying to figure out how best to tackle my crown for my next procedure

Rahal thinks that if I do another it should be FUE and he said I have about 2000 left via FUE. However, who knows, maybe a small strip/FUE combo is the way to go. I would not be doing it for a while anyway.

My Hairloss Web Site -

7871 Grafts

• 3 weeks later...

Grafting into the crown can be a fickle thing. Not really sure why exactly that is(possibly the skin is thinner around the crown?). The best crown results I have seen are from Dr Lorenzo.