FUE quote based on hairs rather than grafts - thoughts?

Hello all,

First of all, THANK you all so much for sharing your stories and expertise. It’s been a great resource of understanding a situation that I’m not alone in, processes, thoughts and tips & tricks, THANK YOU.

I’ve decided to do a FUE on the crown and I in that connection received an offer from a reputable surgeon.

The offer was EUR 3.8 and an estimate of 2000. I thought that it was 2000 grafts as everything on this site and clinics seems to be quoted for grafts. However, the price is based on per hair rather than on per graft. What are your thoughts on this?

I asked the clinic why and the answer was number of hairs in a graft differentiate from person to person and per hair is a more honest way to count it and a graft estimation often will be changed just before the operation. Is this right?

If there in average are 2 or more hairs in a graft the price seems pretty high – even compared to big names such as Feridumi or Bisanga.

Any input is much appreciated!

Viking,

I would consult with the recommended surgeons on here in Belgium.

All of the top surgeons I know of all charge by grafts and not hairs. I would assume crown work requires grafts with more hairs per graft then single hairs you would put in the hairline.

Edited by chrisdav

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

I think it's because the number of grafts is more representative of the actual work they need to do. Extracting 1 graft with 3 hairs is probably the same amount of work as extracting 1 graft with 1 hair.

I have had estimates based on the total numbers of hairs I needed ~6k hairs.

On average this equates to around 2000 grafts according to the Dr. Moreover, the price you are quoted per hair not only is cheaper than what top surgeons charge per graft, but only few grafts will contain say 4 hairs. So if the majority of your grafts have 2-3 hairs, then this equates to around the same charged per graft by most surgeons. However, a lot will have just 1 hair. So in fact you are getting a better deal at per hair rather than per graft

I would have thought there would always be more hairs than grafts, so expensive. Why not go to see the two names you have mentioned?

Yes, but the $ per hair is less than the $ per graft in many cases

Thanks for all the input so far.

Chrisdav: Thanks for the input – I hadn’t considered that crown work requires grafts with more hairs per graft than hair line but it seems like a valid point.

Shacked: My initial calculations was that the grafts are probably a better deal than per hair. Your surgeon suggest that 6K hair is 2K grafts which is an average of 3 hairs in a graft. My offer was 3.8 EUR per hair which would then make it 11.4 EUR per graft on average. From Bisanga’s website (which I guess is similar to others at his level) his price for the first 1K grafts is 5 EUR per graft. Even though the average no of hairs in a graft is liss than 3 (eg. 2 or 2,5) this would still make the graft a better deal or have I misunderstood something?

I have had estimates based on the total numbers of hairs I needed ~6k hairs.

On average this equates to around 2000 grafts according to the Dr. Moreover, the price you are quoted per hair not only is cheaper than what top surgeons charge per graft, but only few grafts will contain say 4 hairs. So if the majority of your grafts have 2-3 hairs, then this equates to around the same charged per graft by most surgeons. However, a lot will have just 1 hair. So in fact you are getting a better deal at per hair rather than per graft

The average number of hairs in a natural follicular unit will be 2.3 hairs on the high end for Caucasians and 1.8 for Asians and SE Asians. Your quote indicates you have an average of 3 hairs per follicular unit.

Charging per hair is one way for clinics to justify the smaller sessions they perform compared to clinics that can perform larger sessions. They will say that you don't know what you're getting with the "per graft" model and use this as a deterrent. What they don't tell you is that they are using chunky grafts that if viewed up close would look unnatural and in the end you are getting less hair per procedure even with more hair (unnaturally) per graft. For years the goal of the surgeon was to get the graft to be a natural FU bundle as it grows in nature. Now we have some surgeons trying to skirt the skill necessary for this level of refinement by arguing that these chunky grafts which are no different than mini-grafts from 20 years ago offer more coverage and density at a lower price. By marketing themselves toward the financial "benefits" they have effectively reversed years of progress for the procedure as well as the education of the patient not to mention the per hair model usually winds up being MORE expensive.

Yes, but the $ per hair is less than the $ per graft in many cases

Which cases?

This is a BAD deal for the OP. Far too much money for most likely not enough hair.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

That was just my general impression but now you have explained it to me it seems per-graft is better. Indeed my consultation was based on the among of hairs that is probably required...but the pricing was on per graft. Going for ~2300 grafts

3.8 euro ($5.24) per hair is insanely expensive. With an average of 2.3 hairs/graft you're looking at 8.74 euro ($12.05) per graft, that is significantly higher than any of the best doctors in the world. I'm curious who this doctor is if you don't mind sharing.

The doctor I am going with is among the best in the world and developed his own FUE technique. His rate is a little over 7 euro per graft. I am aware he is slightly more expensive than a lot of other doctors but his results, procedure, and ethics, were the most well suited to my needs. I was willing to spend a little more for my first FUE. In addition he is close to my home.

The doctor I am going with is among the best in the world and developed his own FUE technique. His rate is a little over 7 euro per graft. I am aware he is slightly more expensive than a lot of other doctors but his results, procedure, and ethics, were the most well suited to my needs. I was willing to spend a little more for my first FUE. In addition he is close to my home.

I hope his name is Dr. Lorenzo...

Although I recognize Lorenzo as being top notch, I felt Dr Reddy offered a procedure closer to my liking. He also is able to achieve great results with relatively fewer grafts, which may be due to his custom technique

Hair Transplant Image Gallery | FUE Patients Pictures

I forgot about Dr. Reddy, I like his work and you're right he gets unusually good results for the amount of grafts he uses. Good luck with your procedure!

3.8 euro ($5.24) per hair is insanely expensive. With an average of 2.3 hairs/graft you're looking at 8.74 euro ($12.05) per graft, that is significantly higher than any of the best doctors in the world. I'm curious who this doctor is if you don't mind sharing.

No problem, HairClinic in Copenhagen - the Dr. is Dr. Zantos.

ALL: Thanks for your input, it is MUCH appreciated