Official Hair Loss Breakthroughs and Future Treatments Tread (Check for Updates!)

I'm 27 years old, and I'm trying to think conservatively down the line, but is it possible lets say I get a 2000 graft hair transplant now, 14 years from now by the time I'm 40 there will be sufficient advancements enough in stem cell therapy and hair manipulation as to not be so concerned now?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alaw,

Science advances at an impressive rate, and no one can predict the future. We do not, however, in my opinion possess good, objective evidence implying that a "cure" will be here in 14 years. Furthermore, any future prospects should not deter you from using proven treatments today. Hope this helps!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

I'm 27 years old, and I'm trying to think conservatively down the line, but is it possible lets say I get a 2000 graft hair transplant now, 14 years from now by the time I'm 40 there will be sufficient advancements enough in stem cell therapy and hair manipulation as to not be so concerned now?

It's a tough one.

There are certainly people working on better treatments. The long term goal is the creation of follicles to provide an unlimited supply of donor hair, but this is still some years away.

It is possible that Replicel may release some kind of treatment in the next five years; they have teamed up with a Japanese cosmetics company (Japan also has enacted laws to help accelerate stem cell treatments) but as yet they haven't produced results with proven efficacy.

Aderans is dead. Histogen seems to have stalled. Dr Wesley is working on his Pilofocus technique, which I hope can regenerate some hair, and Dr Mwamba was looking at Dr Nigam's doubling technique (which I think has failed unfortunately).

There is also Acell and PR but I don't have much faith in these treatments.

So essentially in the meantime, minoxidil and finasteride really are the best of a bad bunch!

Gareth,

That's actually a very good update.

Replicel could be released in Asia sometime between 2017 and 2019 - depending on who you ask. The issue, however, will be twofold: according to the most recent update, a single treatment - including removal of the donor cells, replication of the dermal sheath stem cells, and reinjection - is quoted at $30,000; and, there will, apparently, only be a very small number of physicians able to offer the treatment (in Asia) at first. This is all premature, however, as they still have at least phase II trials to complete in Japan - if they are going to take advantage of the new stem cell regulations.

Oddly enough, Dr. Nigams posted a series of Mwamba "bio cell FUE" cases on his homepage. However, these look like regular FUE cases Dr. Mwamba shared on our forums. Also, we haven't heard any updates from Dr. Mwamba himself. I still think donor doubling has a lot of potential. However, it's not quite there yet.

The guys working on true hair multiplication in Europe still have a way to go as well.

There may be CB-03-01 in the meantime. However, Cosmo pharmaceuticals is focused more on its acne applications, and cost and need for higher doses will likely prevent many of the braver hair loss suffers out there from trying the acne product (which still has years to go) at home.

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

blake,

the science behind donor regeneration is already there, all we need is a talented doctor who can

bring this technique to us

dr marco toscani achieved almost 71 % regrowth for both portions( without the use of growth factors),

and we all know that certains growth factors like vegf induces blood supply formation invivo,

that means more nutrition for the follicles that lead to higher growth rate

as for the caliber of hair , wnt10b increase hair shaft diameter

http://www-hsc.usc.edu/~cmchuong/2014Wnt10b-Dkk1.pdf

also vegf modulates the size of the hair follicles .

Mariachi,

He did, but both the upper and lower part of the bisected follicles produced significantly thinner hair shafts. This brings up an important question: what's better, one thick hair shaft or two thin ones?

Growth factors could maybe help, but they are risky. Remember that any element that increases the growth of a follicle can also increase and induce growth of unwanted tissue. For example, vegf does induce new vessel growth and could improve flow to doubled follicles. But what is stopping that same vegf form creating new life sustaining vessel growth to something else, like a tumor?

In my humble opinion, we must figure out a way to achieve doubling without growth factors. Risks are simply too high otherwise.

Mariachi,

He did, but both the upper and lower part of the bisected follicles produced significantly thinner hair shafts. This brings up an important question: what's better, one thick hair shaft or two thin ones?

Growth factors could maybe help, but they are risky. Remember that any element that increases the growth of a follicle can also increase and induce growth of unwanted tissue. For example, vegf does induce new vessel growth and could improve flow to doubled follicles. But what is stopping that same vegf form creating new life sustaining vessel growth to something else, like a tumor?

In my humble opinion, we must figure out a way to achieve doubling without growth factors. Risks are simply too high otherwise.

growth factors had been used for a long time, prp fpr example contains many growth

factors , histogen is safe and we all know that histogen contains vegf and kgf,

its all about dose, we need just very low dose

Mariachi,

I understand your point; and yes, I suppose there are ways to use growth factors safely and ethically. However, I don't think this would be the correct way to do it.

What's more, PRP really just concentrates growth factors more than it creates or induces new ones. It's also the patient's own tissue and it does not undergo any sort of culturing or replication process. Also, Histogen did show some safety in the phase I studies. However, I remember Gail - the CEO - stating that they showed no toxicity during the trial, but it's hard to say no long term effects are possible in that short of a window.

In an interesting turn of events, Histogen, at the annual Mesa stem cell meeting, stated that they hope to continue phase II trials with its HSC in Japan. As some may know, Japan just loosened its clinical trial regulations, and products can now go to market - in Japan - during or shortly after successful phase II trials. Now, a lot still remains to be seen, especially whether or not the funding will come through, but interesting nonetheless! The CEO also said that they plan to start phase I trials with HSC specifically for female hair loss sufferers in the US.

Gareth,

That's actually a very good update.

Replicel could be released in Asia sometime between 2017 and 2019 - depending on who you ask. The issue, however, will be twofold: according to the most recent update, a single treatment - including removal of the donor cells, replication of the dermal sheath stem cells, and reinjection - is quoted at $30,000; and, there will, apparently, only be a very small number of physicians able to offer the treatment (in Asia) at first. This is all premature, however, as they still have at least phase II trials to complete in Japan - if they are going to take advantage of the new stem cell regulations.

Oddly enough, Dr. Nigams posted a series of Mwamba "bio cell FUE" cases on his homepage. However, these look like regular FUE cases Dr. Mwamba shared on our forums. Also, we haven't heard any updates from Dr. Mwamba himself. I still think donor doubling has a lot of potential. However, it's not quite there yet.

The guys working on true hair multiplication in Europe still have a way to go as well.

There may be CB-03-01 in the meantime. However, Cosmo pharmaceuticals is focused more on its acne applications, and cost and need for higher doses will likely prevent many of the braver hair loss suffers out there from trying the acne product (which still has years to go) at home.

Thanks, Blake!

I do try to stay up to date with the various future technologies.

Can I just ask where you read that piece about Replicel's treatment costing $30,000. Unless its some kind of miracle treatment, I think this would price most people out of the equation. Also, would the treatment be a one-off or is it repeated?

I've not seen anything from Replicel regarding price other than they expect it to be in line with surgical treatments.

On the subject of those pictures on Nigam's website, I think it looks very fishy. Nigam has a habit of posting images of himself with reputable people within the industry and I suspect this is the case here. Of course I may be wrong.

• 1 month later...

Blake, you're the man on here!

Funny enough Gareth I was looking into Piloscopy and emailed Dr. Wesley, this was their response as of Dec 2, 2014:

Thank you for your submission and inquiry regarding the upcoming Pilofocus clinical trial.

The scarless surgery technique (piloscopy) that Dr. Wesley pioneered has received over one million Internet mentions since its inception in 2008. Thanks to a recent $2.2M research grant, piloscopy is now likely scheduled to be made available with FDA Clearance in a few months. Not only will new patients benefit from this technique, but even patients undergoing current techniques (FUT and FUE) will benefit from this novel approach in a subsequent session.

Piloscopy is still in the early clinical trial phase. A detailed description of this novel hair follicle harvesting technique may be viewed in this full-length version of Dr. Wesley's presentation that was delivered in October of 2013 to fellow physicians at the International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery (ISHRS) Meeting in San Francisco, CA (the password for viewing is "piloscopy"). Please be aware that the upcoming clinical trial will likely involve very small sessions (less than 100 grafts) at first before much larger sessions are realized the following year.

SO we can only hope and see, and like Blake suggested Science is moving at a fast rate so I expect to see a lot of new things happening in the next five years as far as HT are concerned. I only hope that Piloscopy is one of those benefits as we could see minimal to no scarring, and also an increase in FU yield and possible regeneration.

• 2 weeks later...
Mariachi,

How did he bisect the hair follicles, in what manner?

Proud to be a representative of world elite hair transplant surgeon Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic.

Hairtransplantelite.com

YouTube

Online consultations: damian@bhrclinic.com

Hi Swooping,

He literally cut them in half. The upper portion contained the bulge stem cells in the outer root sheath (ORS) and the lower portion contained the dermal papilla stem cells from the bulb region. This was done under a microscope with a standard scalpel - as far as I understand it.

Are you the same "Swooping" who posts on several different hair loss forums with the same alias? If so, I like your posts!

Hi Swooping,

He literally cut them in half. The upper portion contained the bulge stem cells in the outer root sheath (ORS) and the lower portion contained the dermal papilla stem cells from the bulb region. This was done under a microscope with a standard scalpel - as far as I understand it.

Are you the same "Swooping" who posts on several different hair loss forums with the same alias? If so, I like your posts!

Yes I'm, thank you appreciate that . Interesting that he still got such a good yield from cutting a hair follicle like that!

Proud to be a representative of world elite hair transplant surgeon Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic.

Hairtransplantelite.com

YouTube

Cool! Yeah, I've read over a lot of your posts and plan on reading over your newest "understanding androgenic alopecia" post when I have a minute. I think some of the new ideas regarding oxidative stress and fibrosis are interesting. I'm not 100% convinced, but I always enjoy reading about new AGA theories. It's obviously a very complicated process, and there are many pieces of the puzzle still undiscovered.

You are referring to the Italian donor doubling study, right? I think he further proved the theory behind donor dominance: both the bulge stem cells and dermal papilla stem cells are capable of regenerating some type of functioning follicle. Unfortunately, these studies continue to confirm the fact that these bisected follicles grow thinner hairs. The structure of these follicles, and whether or not they can be extracted, split, implanted, and still show growth, remains unknown.

I think donor doubling is going to be my initial research focus when I start my clinical practice a bit down the road!

Cool! Yeah, I've read over a lot of your posts and plan on reading over your newest "understanding androgenic alopecia" post when I have a minute. I think some of the new ideas regarding oxidative stress and fibrosis are interesting. I'm not 100% convinced, but I always enjoy reading about new AGA theories. It's obviously a very complicated process, and there are many pieces of the puzzle still undiscovered.

You are referring to the Italian donor doubling study, right? I think he further proved the theory behind donor dominance: both the bulge stem cells and dermal papilla stem cells are capable of regenerating some type of functioning follicle. Unfortunately, these studies continue to confirm the fact that these bisected follicles grow thinner hairs. The structure of these follicles, and whether or not they can be extracted, split, implanted, and still show growth, remains unknown.

I think donor doubling is going to be my initial research focus when I start my clinical practice a bit down the road!

Yeah sure go ahead, can post it on this forum too if you would like. It kinda explains why reversal of androgenetic alopecia is so extremely hard. Glad that you enjoy it. I agree the exact pathways/mechanism of AGA is yet to be understood, but we are advancing extremely hard lately.

I was referring to the Italian study yes, I really did not expect that cutting a follicle in that manner would yield "regeneration" even if you get thinner hair follicles. That's exciting man! If you ever need a test subject just give me a call man, haha.

Hairtransplantelite.com

YouTube

• 3 weeks later...

I have to admit, I've been focused on critical theory in the humanities lately, so I haven't kept up with the latest in hair regrowth science. However, what about treatments to degrade DHT receptors making hair balding resistant? I seem to remember a few companies working on these technologies.

Actually, gravity has long been thought a cause of hair loss. Obviously, there have not necessarily been complex theories as Ustuner's. There have long been "anti-gravity" devices that have marketed themselves based on this "benefit." Of course, these devices are not "anti-gravity" at all, as it is impossible to negate Earth's gravitational field while on Earth--if you're wondering about astronaut training equipment, these are simulators... they simulate weighlessness only, not anti-gravity.

• 5 weeks later...

Derivation of Hair-Inducing Cells from Human Pluripotent Stem Cells:

PLOS ONE: Derivation of Hair-Inducing Cell from Human Pluripotent Stem Cells

Interesting study. It's been in the news a lot lately, so figured I'd share it here. Frankly, I think there are a few misconceptions about what the group achieved. I have not, however, had time to really read over the study, so I may change my thoughts/update some things.

Feel free to ask questions. I'll do my best to answer.

Derivation of Hair-Inducing Cells from Human Pluripotent Stem Cells:

PLOS ONE: Derivation of Hair-Inducing Cell from Human Pluripotent Stem Cells

Interesting study. It's been in the news a lot lately, so figured I'd share it here. Frankly, I think there are a few misconceptions about what the group achieved. I have not, however, had time to really read over the study, so I may change my thoughts/update some things.

Feel free to ask questions. I'll do my best to answer.