HT & Meds - Long term outlook

Jimbo34

Hi All,

I have been floating on this forum for sometime now and have a few questions that can hopefully be answered and put my mind at rest.

I have been suffering from hair loss since I was 22 (I'm now 34) and has been a gradual decline since it started - with confidence dropping now to an all time low..It has not been until recently that I have decided I need to do something about it as its become really noticeable to me and obviously others around me. So I started on Propecia 5 weeks and Rogaine 5% foam and Nizarol shampoo 2 weeks ago. So far no side effects and hair already feels in better condition...I am trying to get my hairloss under control before proceeding with a FUE HT with Dr Lorenzo.

Anyway my questions :-

1. What is the long term outlook on a someone who had a successful HTets say in their 30's with a reputable surgeon? I have read that as you age (into 50's, 60's +) that the transplanted hairs become thinner, grey and begin to look weedy on top of your head. Equally, the donar area thins out even more so over time leaving the scars be it from FUT or FUE even more visable.

2. With regards to Propecia and Minoxidil, do they begin to lose effectiveness after 10 years (apparently no clinical studies beyond this by Merk due to this reason??) If so then its likely that further HT's will be required?

Appreciate any feedback as these are the 2 burning issues I have that are ultimately putting me off from a HT.

I have searched this forum for similar questions/answers but clearly had no luck!!

Finally great forum by the way - I have learnt so much from here and could quite easily have made some wrong decisions if I hadn't of found this forum!

Thanks.

Hi Jimbo,

Let me see if I can address some of your questions:

1. Every "once and a while," hair transplant surgeons share "updates" of patients who return to their clinic(s) after 10, 12, or even 15 years. From what I've seen, the results of the transplants "stand the test of time" and still look dense and natural a decade down the road. While no doctor has the ability to gaze into a crystal ball and accurately describe exactly how you will age, most qualified physicians will tell you that their carefully crafted hair transplant work will mature appropriately and stand the test of time.

2. I'm not sure why the clinic minoxidil and finasteride studies seem to stop tracking patients after ten years. Patients utilize the drugs for much longer, so I'm uncertain why the experts wouldn't study the efficacy and potential side effects to this endpoint as well. Regardless, many patients on the forums have utilized the drugs for 10-15 years and continue to report positive results. However, I have heard some anecdotal reports that the drugs may lose some efficacy after extended periods of use (10-15 years), but the issue hasn't been objectively reviewed or analyzed. Altogether, this makes it a bit difficult to determine what will happen if you keep using the drugs for 10-15 years. You may see a slight dip in efficacy or you may see sustained cessation of the alopecia process. I think it is simply important to monitor for side effects during the prolonged use and discuss any changes with your physician.

Good luck.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

This is a great thread, and some great answers-- I too have been very concerned with this..

I am in a similar position as the original poster, hair loss since 16 and at 31 decided to go for the hair transplant. I got on the meds around the same week.

As Jotronic mentioned, I had the "perfect storm" of results and and very happy -- but still have the burning questions posited above....

I am expecting that at some point (rationally or not), the meds will not be as effective as they were-- and this is causing me some anxiety...

I am so happy with Future HT Doc's answer to #1, that the HT's stand the test of time :)

At least I can really rely on that.. I do plan on going back to my doc for future work because I do expect that I will need that "maintenance" and I do strive for perfection, or as close to it as I can get.

Hi Jimbo,

Let me see if I can address some of your questions:

1. Every "once and a while," hair transplant surgeons share "updates" of patients who return to their clinic(s) after 10, 12, or even 15 years. From what I've seen, the results of the transplants "stand the test of time" and still look dense and natural a decade down the road. While no doctor has the ability to gaze into a crystal ball and accurately describe exactly how you will age, most qualified physicians will tell you that their carefully crafted hair transplant work will mature appropriately and stand the test of time.

2. I'm not sure why the clinic minoxidil and finasteride studies seem to stop tracking patients after ten years. Patients utilize the drugs for much longer, so I'm uncertain why the experts wouldn't study the efficacy and potential side effects to this endpoint as well. Regardless, many patients on the forums have utilized the drugs for 10-15 years and continue to report positive results. However, I have heard some anecdotal reports that the drugs may lose some efficacy after extended periods of use (10-15 years), but the issue hasn't been objectively reviewed or analyzed. Altogether, this makes it a bit difficult to determine what will happen if you keep using the drugs for 10-15 years. You may see a slight dip in efficacy or you may see sustained cessation of the alopecia process. I think it is simply important to monitor for side effects during the prolonged use and discuss any changes with your physician.

Good luck.

Paulygon is a former patient of Dr. Parsa Mohebi

My regimen includes:

HT #1 2710 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in 2012

Rogaine foam 2x daily, since 2012 (stopped ~10/2015)

Finasteride 1.25mg daily, since 2012 (stopped ~12/2015)

HT #2 3238 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in Jun. 2016

Started Rogaine and Propecia in July. 2016 after being off of them for about a year.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
2. With regards to Propecia and Minoxidil, do they begin to lose effectiveness after 10 years (apparently no clinical studies beyond this by Merk due to this reason??) If so then its likely that further HT's will be required?

I think Fin works consistently over years of use, but Minoxidl can lose effectiveness. Both work differently. Fin is better at preventing future loss and stabilizing what you have, whereas Minoxidil is better at stimulating recently miniaturized hairs and turning back the clock on your hairloss by a few years. Initially you can possibly get better results with Min, but you will still be losing hairs... after 5+ years of use, Fin will likely have effectively prevented much more hairloss.

My dad had a HT 25 years ago. It still looks great. Of course, he's also in great health.

Wow! HT In the 90's.. a bold move.. respect! It is nice to hear that his looks great :)

My regimen includes:

Started Rogaine and Propecia in July. 2016 after being off of them for about a year.

I think Fin works consistently over years of use, but Minoxidl can lose effectiveness. Both work differently. Fin is better at preventing future loss and stabilizing what you have, whereas Minoxidil is better at stimulating recently miniaturized hairs and turning back the clock on your hairloss by a few years. Initially you can possibly get better results with Min, but you will still be losing hairs... after 5+ years of use, Fin will likely have effectively prevented much more hairloss.

this is the impression I have as well.

My regimen includes:

• 3 weeks later...