Question for all strip patients?

hombre

We read alot about how happy most patients are with having a fine linear scar, which is great! However, have any of you still got any numbness were the nerves have been damaged? And if yes, how much has this affected your life or do you just get used to it & it really isn't an issue?

I have a virgin scalp & am just researching as much as possible before deciding on FUE or strip. All honest answers would be appreciated regardless of who your doc was.

Thanks!

We read alot about how happy most patients are with having a fine linear scar, which is great! However, have any of you still got any numbness were the nerves have been damaged? And if yes, how much has this affected your life or do you just get used to it & it really isn't an issue?

I have a virgin scalp & am just researching as much as possible before deciding on FUE or strip. All honest answers would be appreciated regardless of who your doc was.

Thanks!

Hombre,

I was numb and uncomfortable for the 1st 3 weeks. Now that im on week 4, everythings coming around and I feel much better. I sleep with the back of my head on the pillow and it's no longer uncomfortable. I expect it to be totally better in the next few weeks. My doctor was Dr.Armani.

You will be numb regardless of the scar for the first 3-6 month because the nerves have to "reconnect/grow". It isn't a big deal and after the first few weeks you forget about it. Some cases with multiple HT, there can be pemanent numbess just in the strip area, but this is rare.

It's been over a year since my strip HT. The numbness is gone and has been gone for awhile. There was never really any discomfort in that area, it was just an unusual feeling. It was very similar to when I had knee surgery years ago....if I kneeled down or crawled around to look for something on the floor, there was a numbness which was just kind of odd. Actually, if I remember correctly, that numbness was around for years before it finally returned to normal.

I never had any noticeable numbness at all - just minor itching from time to time. I guess this was part of the healing process. My barber can't even find the scar line!

2 procedures with Dr Beehner

i still have a small area just above my scar on the right side that is numb, and I am at almost 7 months post-op. I had a lot of numbness in both the donor and recip areas at first which lasted for approx 3-4 months. It has slowly come back and I have confidence that it will all come back w/in the next few months. good luck.

Yeah I had the same experience as Hugh, though mostly on the recip area. Nothing that bothers me, just feels funny & it's a small price to pay for having hair on top of it!

3045 FUs with Dr Victor Hasson on 8 June 2004

1836 FUs with Dr Jeffrey Epstein on 2 March 2006

Regimen: 1.25mg Proscar every other day

I'd have to agree with the previous two posts, I'm at six months post op and have a small spot on the top that is still numb and a bit of a weird sensation above the donor area. I only notice it when I brush my hair, so I can live with it until it goes...

GAMBO,

Just been on your website... that was some SERIOUS swelling you got in the right eye!! I thought mine was bad, but I've always been able to open my eyes. Did you try bags of frozen peas? Made a lot of difference in my case on day 4, I wish I had started sooner. Also it stopped the swelling just above my cheeks (never got anything below).

3045 FUs with Dr Victor Hasson on 8 June 2004

1836 FUs with Dr Jeffrey Epstein on 2 March 2006

Regimen: 1.25mg Proscar every other day

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>You will be numb regardless of the scar for the first 3-6 month because the nerves have to "reconnect/grow".

Nerves cannot reconnect. If they could, Christopher Reeve would be walking around, and not in a wheelchair.

It's very possible that you can permanently lose some sensation in your scalp after HT surgery. How much sensation might be lost is hard to say.

If you don't think this is a risk, then I suggest that you ask your doctor if he will guarantee it won't happen, and have him put it in writing. See what he says.

Actually what generally happens is, nerves are injured from the major insicion.

Though the nerves in the central nervous system (spinal cord and brain) can not heal,

sensory neurons in the peripheral nervous system do regenerate.

But remember, you still do run a very slight risk of permenant damage.

Guys,

Thanks for the replys! It seems that numbness is a common phenomena but in the majority of cases is only temporary. For those who still have it, it also seems that it isn't a big issue & dosn't impede too much on their lives. I have a freind who is just over a year post- op & he says about 25% is still numb but he says this continues to decrease over time.

Fellas, let me pipe in here and ask a question too. I had my HT surgery about 3 months ago with Dr. Epstein. Most of the numbness from the donor area is gone. But there is still some tenderness/pain on the left side when I apply pressure to that area such as when shampooing. It doesn't hurt unless I rub it. There is no tenderness/pain in the back or on the right side.

While he was removing my strip, Dr. Epstein repaired some of the scarring from my first procedure with Dr. Leavitt. And I think that was one of the areas where the scarring was.

Has anyone else had some prolonged tenderness toward the side of the head in the donor area and does it eventually go away? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Geedoo, sorry no one has responded to you as of yet. Hope this will spark it.

I honestly cannot answer that, but can only speculate. My guess would be, it is good you still have feeling, though pain. But what would you consider that pain to?

Some say it is pain, while other say it is an irritant.

You would have to define the pain ratio to an example to get the best idea. Everyone is different.

Guys, it's more tender than painful. And it isn't by any stretch unbearable. On a 0 to 10 scale it would be a 3 when being rubbed hard (i.e., shampooing). When not being touched, it's a 0.2. It's not a sharp pain but kind of a diffuse local soreness.

Maybe I have a really tight scalp? I don't have any wrinkles on my forehead or anything like that, so I think my skin is pretty tight. Maybe the tightness of the scalp is causing the tenderness.