Rogiane 5% once in 3 days - Any Good ?

eternaldenied

Hey Guys,

I have had bad experience with Rogaine 5% when I first started using it back in 2009. I used it for 1 year or so and stopped cold turkey thinking It wasn't doing anything. And then I lost 90% of hair on my head that never grew back. After that I was On and Off rogaine for quite a few years with no result whatsoever (at least I think so).

fast forward to September 2013, I started Rogaine 5 % again with once a night application because It was strongly recommended by my doctor after my first HT in June 2013.

Since, I am very scared of Rogaine considering my past, from Nov 2013 till date I have been using it with an average consistency of once in 3 days. I don't want my hair to become dependent on it. At the same time I don't want to loose whatever I have, definitely not my precious transplanted hair.

My question is - Is it any good to keep using Rogaine once in 3 days compared to calling it quit ?

Off all the documentation I have read, each one of them says if we don't use Rogaine two times a day it doesn't work. How about once in 3 days then. Is that a stupid thing to follow ?

~eternalDenied

Hi Eternal,

I think it's difficult to say. To my knowledge, all studies evaluating minoxidil have looked at individuals using the topical on a daily basis. Because of this, it is not clear if using the drug every third day (roughly) would offer the same benefit. I do not believe any study has ever reduced the amount to this level and evaluated whether or not it was still effective. What did your doctor say? What type of side effects did you previously experience?

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Blake, Rootz -Thanks much for replying.

I have not had any other side effects from Minoxidil apart from loosing almost all my hair when I stopped using it after 1+ year of consistent use back in 2009.

So, minimizing the frequency down to 3 days is just an attempt on my part to make my hair least dependent on Rogaine while still capitalizing the maintenance benefit(if not new growth ).

would this work ?

Eternal,

I understand the logic behind minimizing the frequency and creating less follicle "dependence." However, I think the dependence is actually a sign that the drug is working and your follicles are responding appropriately. If you didn't see the hair shed after stopping the medication, it would likely indicate that the drug was never effective to begin with. I think you will likely see a correlation between effectiveness and "dependence." If you use the drug as directed and experience significant gains, you will also see significant sheds once you stop. If you use the drug less frequently or in sub-therapeutic doses, you won't see serious shedding after stopping but you also won't see significant growth and stabilization to begin with. Make sense?

Have you seen a physician for your hair loss? I would be curious to hear what he or she has to say.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

• 2 weeks later...
Eternal,

I understand the logic behind minimizing the frequency and creating less follicle "dependence." However, I think the dependence is actually a sign that the drug is working and your follicles are responding appropriately. If you didn't see the hair shed after stopping the medication, it would likely indicate that the drug was never effective to begin with. I think you will likely see a correlation between effectiveness and "dependence." If you use the drug as directed and experience significant gains, you will also see significant sheds once you stop. If you use the drug less frequently or in sub-therapeutic doses, you won't see serious shedding after stopping but you also won't see significant growth and stabilization to begin with. Make sense?

Have you seen a physician for your hair loss? I would be curious to hear what he or she has to say.

Blake,

I think what you said make sense. Anyhow, I have now booked my second HT session with Dr Bhatti on 8th May 2014.

I read it on Dr Benstein website that one should stop using Rogaine at least 15 days before HT for better scalp laxity. So, I am now taking a break from Rogaine. I am 1.5 months away from my second HT date and I want to see if I experience any major shedding during this phase.

When I met Dr Bhatti last, he said that I can stop using Rogaine as I have crossed 6 months mark and It will not aid anything to my transplanted hair.

You may review my case here

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/174361-contemplating-second-hair-transplant-session.html#post2383757

~eternalDenied

Your bad experience was stopping use of the medication and thus losing hair. What am I missing? It was inevitable, wasn't it?

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

• 4 weeks later...

I really doubt 1x every 3 days will be of much benefit.

I have been considering bringing it down to 1x every day (as opposed to 2x / day) but I have already achieved a good baseline and am wondering what decreasing to 1x/day will do..

Paulygon is a former patient of Dr. Parsa Mohebi

My regimen includes:

HT #1 2710 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in 2012

Rogaine foam 2x daily, since 2012 (stopped ~10/2015)

Finasteride 1.25mg daily, since 2012 (stopped ~12/2015)

HT #2 3238 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in Jun. 2016

Started Rogaine and Propecia in July. 2016 after being off of them for about a year.

I really doubt 1x every 3 days will be of much benefit.

I have been considering bringing it down to 1x every day (as opposed to 2x / day) but I have already achieved a good baseline and am wondering what decreasing to 1x/day will do..

hard to say id give it a try and see.