Sore nippples! Does this mean that I should quite Proscar?

ronzues

Hi all,

I have been on Proscar for almost 2 years and never had a problem with it until now.

I never had the sexual side affect. Recently the pills have changed from a round pill which I would cut into 4 pieces and take daily to an oval shaped pill which is harder to cut but I still do and take daily. i have also experimented with taking it every other day as well.

Anyhow, since the change to the new pill I have experienced nipple pain on either or both nipples. I have no lumps or physical evidence of change but is the tenderness evidence enough that I could develop gyno problems and therefore should no longer be on the drug?

Since the pains I have almost stopped using it. I took a quarter of a pill on Monday and not since. The pains have be with me for about a month.

My doctor has suggested that he call me in 1mg of Propecia rather then cutting the Proscar anymore. I am open to that but my real question is.......

Is the pain alone evidence enough that I could develop gyno problems and should no longer be on the drug?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

This is the first time I can remember hearing about nipple pain starting after two years on finasteride. I suppose the change in shape is due to a change in manufacturer?

I'm no physician but I think I'd give it another month or two and maybe play around with the dose before quitting entirely.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Sounds like Gyno. Personally I would get 1mg pills and cut them into quarters and do 0.25mg per day, it is nearly as effective as 1mg per day but you might experience less side effects. If you still get side effects, you have to ask yourself is the possibility of having Gyno worth preserving your hair. That is a personal decision.

I have been experimenting with it.

I took it last Monday and the pain didn't start until about Tuesday and stayed with me through Saturday.

I then had a few days of comfort as all pain subsided.

I then decided to give it another try just to make sure it isn't all in my head.

I took another one this Tuesday morning. It is now Friday night and though the pain has surfaced again it is nowhere near what I was feeling last week.

Do you think taking it once a week is useful or in that case why even bother?

I may try cutting the pill into .25mg like Rootz suggested.

I am a thin healthy guy. 5',11" and 160lbs. I workout regularly and stay in shape so I know my body fairly well and am very in tune with the smallest change or slightest unusual discomfort.

I call it pain but in reality it is a discomfort but not painful. It causes me more worry than anything else.

However, if anyone can tell me that ANY discomfort in that area is a sign that something is not right then by all means I will willingly let go of the hair rather than develop gyno or breast cancer.

Anyhow, since the change to the new pill I have experienced nipple pain on either or both nipples. I have no lumps or physical evidence of change but is the tenderness evidence enough that I could develop gyno problems and therefore should no longer be on the drug?

I have had tenderness which lasted for 3-4 days. I realized that it was because I was wearing a nylon jersey while playing basketball (I jump up/down alot because I am a rebounder) which caused the nylon jersey to scratch against my nipples, causing tenderness and irritation. This scared me a little (I initially thought it was early signs of Gyno!) but lasted only 3-4 days and was better. I never wore that jersey again without a cotton t-shirt underneath and all has been fine.

Moral of the story: There may be some causality or coincidence with the sore nipples that you have not identified. You might be jumping the gun and blaming Propecia/finasteride for something that is not finasteride's fault. Though, I do commend you for being in tune with how your body feels and taking all symptoms seriously.

Paulygon is a former patient of Dr. Parsa Mohebi

My regimen includes:

HT #1 2710 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in 2012

Rogaine foam 2x daily, since 2012 (stopped ~10/2015)

Finasteride 1.25mg daily, since 2012 (stopped ~12/2015)

HT #2 3238 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in Jun. 2016

Started Rogaine and Propecia in July. 2016 after being off of them for about a year.

I'm of the opinion that all side effects from a prescription medication should be followed-up with the physician who ordered the drug. I would go back and discuss the issue with your doctor. Good luck!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately I have decided to stop Proscar/Propecia altogether.

I cut back to .25mg every Mon, Wed, and Friday yet still had nipple pain in the right nipple.

I then cut back to taking .25mg just once a week on Monday and still had the pain all week long.

Now, being almost 2 weeks since I have taken it I have no nipple pain.

If I had some assurance that this nipple pain doesn't necessarily mean that I may grow breasts or even breast cancer I may have continued on it but since nobody can seem to tell me that, I am playing it safe and discontinuing use of it.

oh man, I'm sorry to hear that cutting back did not make the pain/discomfort disappear. did you get a chance to discuss with a doc?

Paulygon is a former patient of Dr. Parsa Mohebi

My regimen includes:

HT #1 2710 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in 2012

Rogaine foam 2x daily, since 2012 (stopped ~10/2015)

Finasteride 1.25mg daily, since 2012 (stopped ~12/2015)

HT #2 3238 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in Jun. 2016

Started Rogaine and Propecia in July. 2016 after being off of them for about a year.

Going to call them tomorrow but from a couple previous conversations that I had with them I can't see how they could offer any other suggestions.

They suggested that I stop taking Proscar and cutting it into quarters and instead they wrote me a prescription for 1mg Propecia which did not help, the discomfort continued.

Even cutting back to .25mg Monday, Wednesday and Friday the discomfort continued, then even cutting back to Monday only it continued.

Doesn't seem like I stopped feeling it until about after a week that it was out of my body.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

like stated above. try arimidex with the propecia. also yu can take nolvadex for gyno. talk to your doctor and see if you can start doing regular bloodwork. monitor for test, free test, estradiol and estrogen levels.

• 2 years later...