Is it donor area shock loss ?

Hi all,

Recently I had my second FUE hair transplnat in Istanbul with total of 9000 hairs on two days sessions, it went smooth except that I am experiencing extereme thinning in my donor area,am wondering whether its a shock loss or maybe they just extracted too much from my donor.

Is it possiple that shock loss happended during the procedure ? escpecially that I found myself in this situation immediately after the procedure and I cant see any falling hairs since then .

I am attaching three photos of my head for your comments,before shaving, immediate post op and last one is three weeks post op.

I really appreciate your valuable comments and assistance.

5b32dcafccf21_Donorbefore.jpg.1f3fa9f6c95ba00ea1b7571480c349e2.jpg

5b32dcafdba2b_donorimmediate.jpg.749e1c1a1e6442ae77986f2776f10e80.jpg

5b32dcafe754f_donor3weeks.jpg.014c6de8767b01cecc5cf5a60e37ee96.jpg

True,

It looks like you had the procedure 3 weeks ago, correct? At this stage, it very well could be shock loss. Donor region shock loss, especially in FUE cases, is almost always temporary. This does look a bit different than traditional shock loss, but no two patients are alike. It looks like it could possibly be the way your shaved donor region in growing back as well? Did you speak with your surgeon about this or show him the pictures?

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

True,

It looks like you had the procedure 3 weeks ago, correct? At this stage, it very well could be shock loss. Donor region shock loss, especially in FUE cases, is almost always temporary. This does look a bit different than traditional shock loss, but no two patients are alike. It looks like it could possibly be the way your shaved donor region in growing back as well? Did you speak with your surgeon about this or show him the pictures?

Hi Future_ HT_Doc,

Thanks for your quick reply.

Yes I am currently 3 weeks post op, my clinic said I have to wait to figure out whether its related to shock loss or something else.

I have two small bald spots besides the overall thinning and seems no hair is growing there.

From other members who experienced the same issue in this forum, seems they started to lose hair after the procedure, however am not loosing any hair since the procedure day, is it possible that shock loss happened during the procedure?

• 1 year later...
Hi Future_ HT_Doc,

Thanks for your quick reply.

Yes I am currently 3 weeks post op, my clinic said I have to wait to figure out whether its related to shock loss or something else.

I have two small bald spots besides the overall thinning and seems no hair is growing there.

From other members who experienced the same issue in this forum, seems they started to lose hair after the procedure, however am not loosing any hair since the procedure day, is it possible that shock loss happened during the procedure?

Hello my friend ... How r u

I had hair transplant before 10 months.. My donor area looked like u exactly aster the procedure ... My concern was the same as u .. I did not lose any hair in donor area after 3 or 4 weeks of my transplant ... It look the same like u after the procedure directly .. My doctor said it hair shock loss .. But now afterv10 months there are no growth in donor area .. It's just look little better maybe 10 % .. I'm very sad the I lost my hair in donor area

Can u tell me what happened to you. Did your hair regrow in donor area .. What medicine u used .. What they told you about your case .. Is.t was shock loss or something else's ? Q

image.jpg.2aeaca0aa1a15efd84597c5dcf32705a.jpg

TrueLover7,

Shock loss or "telogen effluvium" is a very real possibility in both the donor and recipient areas several days to several months after hair transplant surgery. This condition where the surrounding hair temporarily falls out occurs as a result of trauma to the scalp during surgery. That said, I know you expressed concern as to whether or not you are experiencing shock loss or just a general thinning appearance as a result of too many follicles being harvested. Typically, physicians will not harvest too many follicular units in order to preserve the thicker appearance of the donor area. However, 9000 hairs is a lot.

Ultimately, I think you have to determine whether or not your donor area looked as thin as it does now immediately after surgery or not. That said, the best thing you can do is be patient at this point and wait it out. Any "shocked" hairs will grow back 4 to 12 months after the procedure. Plus, as the hair grows in, it will become thicker looking and show less scalp. Buzzed hair always makes an area appear thinner than it really is.

Best of luck,

Bill

Tawakui - this does not look correct - in fact, it appears to be cause for some concern. Have you spoken to your doctor recently?

I spoke to him .. He said hair shock loss and by time it will be ok .. First he said wait 4 months , then when reached month 4 with no improved he said wait 6 months . Then 8 .. And now 10 months with no improve .. Maybe very little improve from using rogein .. Finally he said tha he dont know happened !! Im really sad and angry .. I will go to court and open a case againts him .. But still sad that my donor area look like that !! Even in transplanted area .. From 3700 grafts maybe 500 grafts only grow

Im using rogien evety day .. Dont kow what to do . Im very sad

image.jpg.3e5032945caeef3204932b9c33561af7.jpg

TL7,

You stated that 9,000 hairs were extracted... wondering how many grafts did this equate to?

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

TL7,

Gillenator makes a good point. If 9000 hairs were harvested, how many grafts were removed? Or were 9000 actual follicular units removed? 9000 follicular units harvested via FUE may create an overall thinner appearance in the donor region unless your donor density is impeccably high.

Best wishes,

Bill

Hi all,

Recently I had my second FUE hair transplnat in Istanbul with total of 9000 hairs on two days sessions, it went smooth except that I am experiencing extereme thinning in my donor area,am wondering whether its a shock loss or maybe they just extracted too much from my donor.

Is it possiple that shock loss happended during the procedure ? escpecially that I found myself in this situation immediately after the procedure and I cant see any falling hairs since then .

I am attaching three photos of my head for your comments,before shaving, immediate post op and last one is three weeks post op.

I really appreciate your valuable comments and assistance.

I am going to have to say keep an eye on the donor area. Depending on how the extractions were spaced and what not, shockloss can be a big factor. You will know in about a year from the date of your surgery as to where this will be headed. Keep an eye on it. Hope it works out for you. Do document your progress for your own safety. Good luck.

I spoke to him .. He said hair shock loss and by time it will be ok .. First he said wait 4 months , then when reached month 4 with no improved he said wait 6 months . Then 8 .. And now 10 months with no improve .. Maybe very little improve from using rogein .. Finally he said tha he dont know happened !! Im really sad and angry .. I will go to court and open a case againts him .. But still sad that my donor area look like that !! Even in transplanted area .. From 3700 grafts maybe 500 grafts only grow

Im using rogien evety day .. Dont kow what to do . Im very sad

Tawakul, it is concerning. Create your own thread so you can get many comments. I can see your concern. Hope you get some resolve.

Hi Tawakul,

I do understand your feeling of sadness. Why don't you ask some free advice to professionals?

Hair Transplant Revision Surgery | FUE FUT Revision Surgeons

I had a great 1528 grafts FUE procedure with Dr.Bhatti. Why don't you contact him for advice?

Check his website: darlingbudsindia.com

Feel free to ask questions.

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

Gill and Bill - heh,

The average FUG is roughly 2.2 follicles, so 9,000 hairs (follicles) would likely be somewhere in the ballpark of 4,090 grafts.

Frankly, this would make me concerned for permanent donor thinning even without seeing 7's thread.

Tawa,

It looks like you may have experienced permanent thinning in the donor region from aggressive FUE extraction. Unfortunately, this many grafts removed in one session general results in poorer yields because the scoring and delivery process (FUE graft removal) isn't gentle -- as there is simply no time to remove this many grafts slowly, methodically, and carefully in one session. And you, unfortunately, confirmed that the growth was poor.

Have you had your donor area evaluated by anyone else? I'm hoping you would have some grafts left for a more conservative second procedure.

I don't want to sound "preachy" or derail the thread -- and I agree that you should start your own -- but this is why many physicians recommend smaller, more conservatives FUE sessions -- like 1,500 in a day. When they work, the results from the big sessions look great! Unfortunately when they don't, they create a situation like you may be experiencing now; poor growth and a very picked over and scarred up donor.

Start your own thread and we will help you get it figured out and see what your options are. Best of luck!

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

• 2 weeks later...

Dr. Drake,

I agree and why I was wondering if his reference was to individual hairs or FUs.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY