How much donor scalp hair left???

Hello members,I have had an HT(FUT) procedure more than a year ago.The number of grafts taken were around 4000.Can you please help me to find out appr. how much grafts can be obtained from my scalp now?Any help will be highly appreciated.Thanks in advance.

image.jpg.b58a04f71125a1c2cd0baf35dad32b07.jpg

It's not possible to answer that question without first physically testing your available scalp laxity. In addition, your donor zone would need to be physically examined microscopically to determine your present density and graft availability.

Otherwise it's just a shot in the dark from a photo.

Yet in my opinion, even if you did not have the required laxity for another strip, you definitely look like you have plenty of available donor via FUE.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Have you had a follow-up with the surgeon who performed your HT last year? They would be able to tell you.

3,425 FUT grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Nov 2013

1,600 FUE grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Dec 2018

It's not possible to answer that question without first physically testing your available scalp laxity. In addition, your donor zone would need to be physically examined microscopically to determine your present density and graft availability.

Otherwise it's just a shot in the dark from a photo.

Yet in my opinion, even if you did not have the required laxity for another strip, you definitely look like you have plenty of available donor via FUE.

Thank you very much for the opinion.You are correct by saying it's very difficult to make an assumption from the photo.In fact I'm scheduled to have an FUE on 28th of this month.I really hope my scalp can contribute to some of the donor hair besides the BHT.

Have you had a follow-up with the surgeon who performed your HT last year? They would be able to tell you.

I contacted my surgeon few months back but didn't ask him particularly about this matter.He said he could do another FUT session but this time I wanted to go for an FUE.But I must say my surgeon did a great job on me since I was a Norwood 7.He did mention during then that my donor density was above average.Keeping my fingers crossed for the upcoming FUE session.

If you don't have enough for full dense coverage you could go for SMP plus HT to fill in the remaining area

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

Look at my blog....

I had two transplants done at 19&20 yo. I waited 18 more yrs and had a megaseesion done with Dr Rahal. At pre op he was concerned about getting 4k grafts because of previous work. However, during surgery he said my laxity was great and he got 4800 grafts. He then told me I had 3-4K more strip so it's all dependent on laxity. Ask your surgeon.

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

Hi Rez1,

You may have about 4,000 grafts that can be harvested via FUE. An FUE session will allow a good FUE surgeon to efficiently select the best quality of hair over your entire donor region. Most knowledgeable FUE enthusiasts will refer to this process as cherrypicking. The hairs per graft, the caliber of hair, and pigment of hair can be selectively chosen to improve the overall result from the procedure.

The aspects of FUE that you should be mindful of is cost, transection rate of the surgeon, and experience of the surgeon's medical assistants. Don't pay too much and don't pay too little either. Transection is the terminal damage of your donor resources. Since your donor resources are certainly finite, you want to ensure that they aren't being wasted by inefficient harvesting methods.

Hopefully this response appropriately addresses your question along with any concerns.

My opinions are my own. I am one representative of MyWHTC Clinic's European branch.

Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

London, United Kingdom - Available (Sat.)

Zurich, Switzerland - Available (Saturday)

Bologna, Italy - Available (Saturday)

Brussles, Belgium - Available (Sun.-Sat.) *No Fee*

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

If you don't have enough for full dense coverage you could go for SMP plus HT to fill in the remaining area

Thank you for the suggestion.I'll definitely keep that in mind.

Look at my blog....

I had two transplants done at 19&20 yo. I waited 18 more yrs and had a megaseesion done with Dr Rahal. At pre op he was concerned about getting 4k grafts because of previous work. However, during surgery he said my laxity was great and he got 4800 grafts. He then told me I had 3-4K more strip so it's all dependent on laxity. Ask your surgeon.

Thank you for helping me out with your blog.But unfortunately my scalp is not lax enough to go for a second strip procedure according to my previous surgeon.He told me to perform extensive scalp exercise for 6 months to make it operable for an FUT.And for many other reasons I opted to go for an FUE this time.

Hi Rez1,

You may have about 4,000 grafts that can be harvested via FUE. An FUE session will allow a good FUE surgeon to efficiently select the best quality of hair over your entire donor region. Most knowledgeable FUE enthusiasts will refer to this process as cherrypicking. The hairs per graft, the caliber of hair, and pigment of hair can be selectively chosen to improve the overall result from the procedure.

The aspects of FUE that you should be mindful of is cost, transection rate of the surgeon, and experience of the surgeon's medical assistants. Don't pay too much and don't pay too little either. Transection is the terminal damage of your donor resources. Since your donor resources are certainly finite, you want to ensure that they aren't being wasted by inefficient harvesting methods.

Hopefully this response appropriately addresses your question along with any concerns.

4000 grafts??!!WOW!Definitely it makes me glad to know that that many grafts can still be harvested but as much as I have heard a non- caucasian person can donate 5500-7500 grafts from his safe scalp donor zone.I"m a bit confused on this.But thank you for your input.

id love to see your be4 and after pics of the actual ht

Here you go.The pictures are not that great but you will still get an idea.http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/173420-norwood-6-7-fut-fue-grafts-3974-dr-pathomvanich.html

Why are you opting for FUE after already having a strip taken?

Unfortunately my scalp is not lax enough to go for another strip unless I vigorously perform scalp exercise for another 4-6 months.And also I'm planning to go for BHT this time.

If you have sufficient scalp donor, then why go for BHT which normally should be a last resort?

In addition, it is ambiguous at best to conclude that certain ethnicity implies higher levels of density or donor availability. Not true.

Each individual is different and until your donor zone is physically examined and microscopically calculated, it's just a guess.

In addition, having a prior strip scar has a bearing on the total available number of grafts that can be "safely" harvested.

If you insist on doing BHT, I strongly suggest you do very thorough research on the unpredictable yields along with researching only those FUE surgeons that have the proven experience using BHT.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

If you have sufficient scalp donor, then why go for BHT which normally should be a last resort?

In addition, it is ambiguous at best to conclude that certain ethnicity implies higher levels of density or donor availability. Not true.

Each individual is different and until your donor zone is physically examined and microscopically calculated, it's just a guess.

In addition, having a prior strip scar has a bearing on the total available number of grafts that can be "safely" harvested.

If you insist on doing BHT, I strongly suggest you do very thorough research on the unpredictable yields along with researching only those FUE surgeons that have the proven experience using BHT.

Thank you again for helping me out.Scalp hair is definitely my main priority.Its the fact that if I need a significant amount of BHT for the coverage,Im very much open to it.I definitely research more to get an idea what may lie ahead.

• 2 weeks later...

You're welcome Rez and glad to see that you are going to do your homework and research on BHT.

Simply do a word search on "body hair transplants" on just about any hair loss forum and I think you will be both surprised and educated on the subject...;)

Best wishes to you my friend!

Gillenator

You're welcome Rez and glad to see that you are going to do your homework and research on BHT.

Simply do a word search on "body hair transplants" on just about any hair loss forum and I think you will be both surprised and educated on the subject...;)

Best wishes to you my friend!

Thanks buddy..