Torn between FUT or FUE

Hi all

Im a 44 year old chap with diffused hair loss that looks extremely young for my age, ive been to one consultation in the UK and i was told im about Norwood 4/5

I currently mask my hair loss with cuvre and toppik, but although i get good results out of it I have been yearning to get a HT done since 10 years ago and have been researching hair loss since then.

Im now ready for the plunge but i I'm torn between FUE and FUT.

I want the FUE as i wear my hair short - about grade 2 or 3 (hair trimmers) but i hear horror stories of less yield, damage to donor hair through transection, the dot scarring from donor, less donor hair for future HT and etc etc etc

With FUT im worried about the linear scar as I've mentioned I wear my hair short. But the costs are lower and apparently it is the gold standard to date.

My questions and I attach photos here to show you the level of my hair loss:

1 - Is FUT scar visible for hair short as 2 or 3 grade hair cut?

2 - Is FUE really bad as people make out regarding lack of yield, spot scarring and lack of future donor hair for future HT?

3 - Is Robotic FUE HT is as good as Dr Bernstain says it is?

4 - Im thinking of going to Dr John Diep from mhtaclinic, has anyone here had procedure done by him?

Thank you very much in advance

:)

2.jpg.580a5a7dd12e93ecb3aeccb4c3008332.jpg

3.jpg.5848df3ab407eba1b7e62f4c8eaed59b.jpg

4.jpg.d34e37d38ff66b09b82befbbd1a9bc3f.jpg

1.jpg.684d3e77184dcfae2aa1940d5227a3f4.jpg

you have a great shaped head

i'd go with fue to shape the hairline because even if you have to shave down in the future you will have a nice shape the the hairline without that linear scar

pus your donor area looks very thin so the fut my show through regardless of length

though I prefer FUT for overall results, I agree you are already shaved down short so go with one of the recommended FUE docs on this forum.

Make sure you look through a lot of results and only go with a doc with consistent high yields and little or no negative feedback on his fue procedures. good luck!

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

To answer you questions;

1. I recommend to anyone to stay away from FUT, specially black man who contemplate keeping their hair short.

2. This is difficult to answer since lack of yield comes with doctors lack of FUE experience and tools he uses (Manual, motorized punches, Artas (robatic), Neograft..so on) and others. I am a fan of Manual for many reasons special for African hair. Yes, we African descent man do have low natural density, however our hair is also good for transplantation since it gives better illusion with same amount.

3. I disagree with the doctor here Our hair is curly, I do not think a Robot can predict where the curly roots lies. Its even extremely challenging for Manual punch handle. It is designed to make you work fast, however this's prime example of lack of yield.

4. No, I have not got procedure done by him

Go to a top fue doctor and have them analyze your donor, if they believe you have enough donor to reach your goals with planning for any future loss, then fue should be your choice. If however you don't have enough donor to meet your goals from fue, then you'll either need to consider body hair, strip or no transplant at all.

I would send those photos to the best in the world and if enough of them say you are not a candidate (which is what I suspect) then at least you will know.

BTW, I believe ARTAS is only FDA approved on certain types of hair. I'm not even sure it is approved for females yet. Anyway, I doubt it can be used on black males because of the problem of 'curlier' FUs.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Looking at you I would probably have Fue.

I would make sure you are a candidate for a hair transplant first and if you are, you need to have realistic expectations of what can be achieved.

1 - Is FUT scar visible for hair short as 2 or 3 grade hair cut? Depends on your physiology and the skill of the surgeon. For me personally I am guessing a 3 grade when my hair is dry. Some people can go lower if they are lucky and some maybe higher for various reasons. Wet hair is another discussion point.

2 - Is FUE really bad as people make out regarding lack of yield, spot scarring and lack of future donor hair for future HT?

Lack of yield I don't believe now is much of an issue only for the better surgeons but I do feel that there are only a small number of surgeons that can do consistent high quality Fue in larger sessions. Your donor supply will be determined when the surgeon looks at your hair up close. If you are a candidate then I would definitely have more than one persons opinion - maybe 4 or 5. A top Fue surgeon will formulate the right pattern on your head and with the right size punches, spot scarring will not happen. I have a cluster of Fue scars with a big punch on the left hand side of my head from a large punch and poor surgeon.

3 - Is Robotic FUE HT is as good as Dr Bernstain says it is?

I have not seen any results yet from robotic Fue to compare with manual and other manual rotary devices. I would like Dr Bernstein and any other Dr using it to provide more results using the Artas. As it stands I would go with the more tried and tested methods as there is more evidence to supporting these.

4 - Im thinking of going to Dr John Diep from mhtaclinic, has anyone here had procedure done by him?

He is a recommended surgeon in the Coalition and I don't know enough about him to pass comment.

Edited by chrisdav

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.