Does many people really get great results using minoxidil ?

irishsailor

As the title says, does anyone truly see great results using minoxidil? I've only ever used 2 of the big 3, but if I'm honest always seen applying foam twice a day as more hassle than it's worth due to the results I've seen online.

Hair Transplant Dr Feller Oct 2011

Hair Transplant Dr Lorenzo June 2014

I really don't know, but I am afraid to stop. I have never really seen anyone say, "Boy, I'm glad I stopped that Rogaine." So, I keep using it. It's not much of a hassle for me, and while it may not be growing anything, it isn't hurting, I feel like I am at least putting up a fight, and it may be retaining some hair.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

When I first started using it a long long time ago, I had very noticeable regrowth in the crown. Over time, I did thin there some, but I know for sure that Rogaine helped tremendously in the early years. I still use it.

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1

I think it works better than many think. I think incorrect or inconsistent use causes many to scrap it and claim it does not work.

Worth adding for sure. Especially now that we have the foam which is 1000% better than the liquid. The foam actually gives your hair volume so it's a win win. The liquid made hair look greasy.

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

It is interesting how people differ from their experiences with this stuff.

I found it a complete waste of money. I started using it 15 years ago and it had no material effect on my hair loss at all. It was costing me at the time GBP30/USD47/EUR35 per month for a bottle. I gave it up after 4-5 years and just accepted that it was not a viable solution to hair loss for me, let alone regrowth. I just had to accept that the gradual loss was to continue.

It was not a pain to apply twice a day, but it was a pain to keep spending the money and not seeing any results. At the time there was only a 2% topical solution available, although these days I think there is at least a 5% solution available.

My experience with Minoxodil is further proof that we are all different and respond to HL treatments in different ways.

I think it works better than many think. I think incorrect or inconsistent use causes many to scrap it and claim it does not work.

Worth adding for sure. Especially now that we have the foam which is 1000% better than the liquid. The foam actually gives your hair volume so it's a win win. The liquid made hair look greasy.

Is the foam really better? I tried using both the foam and the dropper and the foam just seemed like a total nightmare to apply. Did you actually spray it in the little cup first or just lay it down on the scalp straight out of the nozzle? I have pretty long hair so I felt like I was just getting it on the hair not on the skin.

With the liquid I can just drag it across the scalp like a plow and leave a bead of it wherever. I don't know about the results but it feels like it is a lot easier to apply, although maybe it is only affecting those lines where it is put down at.

I did notice that about 4 months after I started using the Minoxidil I had a very heavy shed period. I panicked and stopped but after reading on here I believe the consensus is that the shed is a positive, even diagnostic sign, so I have restarted use.

Shedding is usually a good sign. I just apply the foam to my hands and rub it into my scalp. If you have long hair, just keep parting it to apply the foam so it hits your scalp.

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

• 2 weeks later...
Is the foam really better? I tried using both the foam and the dropper and the foam just seemed like a total nightmare to apply. Did you actually spray it in the little cup first or just lay it down on the scalp straight out of the nozzle? I have pretty long hair so I felt like I was just getting it on the hair not on the skin.

With the liquid I can just drag it across the scalp like a plow and leave a bead of it wherever. I don't know about the results but it feels like it is a lot easier to apply, although maybe it is only affecting those lines where it is put down at.

I did notice that about 4 months after I started using the Minoxidil I had a very heavy shed period. I panicked and stopped but after reading on here I believe the consensus is that the shed is a positive, even diagnostic sign, so I have restarted use.

I had the same experience

Foam does add volume, and it dries fast, which is great. I don't see it as a hassle, once you get used to doing it regularly it's really a no brainer. It works great for short hair, I don't know about longer hair because it tends to attach to hairs and perhaps liquid is better for longer hair.

I did have noticeable results with Rogaine foam. I'd say 10% in overall density and added volume almost all over the scalp, but particularly on the crown. Of course it works best in early stages of hair loss, so it's something to keep in mind. I usually find 3-month pack on sales for $35-$40 so I still didn't try switching to generic, but maybe I will.

• 2 weeks later...
Foam does add volume, and it dries fast, which is great. I don't see it as a hassle, once you get used to doing it regularly it's really a no brainer. It works great for short hair, I don't know about longer hair because it tends to attach to hairs and perhaps liquid is better for longer hair.

I did have noticeable results with Rogaine foam. I'd say 10% in overall density and added volume almost all over the scalp, but particularly on the crown. Of course it works best in early stages of hair loss, so it's something to keep in mind. I usually find 3-month pack on sales for $35-$40 so I still didn't try switching to generic, but maybe I will.

might as well use the generic