Need your advice. Thinking about going the HT route

Been battling hairloss for well over 10 years now.

Important note: I have always had very thin and not too much hair, ever since from when I was a teenager. (my mom also has really thin and not much hair, dad is 'bald')

I was wondering if this makes me a bad candidate for any FUE work to be done.

Lately my hairline has taken a serious hit (vertex too) ...

Pictures were taken in huge bright overhead light and I did not work my magic on the hair with styling products , like I usually do to cover balding areas up ...

So pics are completely out and open, no camouflage. I guess it's the only way to see the true nature of the damage.

I'm 36 years old. Been on Finasteride for more than 10 years (4 years avodart in between) + currently using : Finasteride, Nizoral and Tricomin

Thanks for your time/advice.

CB

thecomp.jpg.252d7bf58ef3cf99a6d915d826db16af.jpg

Edited by chemicalbrother

I think you should do an in person consult. It would be cool to see some pics of your base line when you got on fin.

I think only a consult could give you a good idea. After ten years on fin I think you deserve it.

Looks like you are headed to an advanced pattern in the front but that fin had probably really helped you out.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Hey guys. thanks for the comments.

Baseline pic before fin.... gonna have to look hard for those. But trust me , I 've always head very thin hair (almost see through from as long as I can remember)

Went to Belgian Dr De Reys today for a consult.Looked interesting. Took the time to check me out. Will write up a report when I start reporting my experiences on my HT journey.

Hopefully pics in attach aren't scaled down to oblivion like my last attachment :)

first.jpg.3b2bc7ceeef12685ee0fa4ce03cad981.jpg

second.jpg.d3fbcf2668aad523265ac08e12827114.jpg

third.jpg.328a3815187ababbf83b539052aeb98c.jpg

fourth.jpg.1dc63b8ea690b8a732ad78a999073d79.jpg

fifth.jpg.a95be3f79f65ca6eb785ca8ab7c95549.jpg

Dr De Reys is great. He did my first two HTs, Here's my journal:

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/171507-7350-grafts-850-body-hair-dr-villnow-dr-de-reys.html

His consultant Nick helped me a lot too and got me over to an even more experienced doc called Dr Villnow in Germany who was able to do body hair transplants which I needed cos Dr De Reys doesn't do that. Villnow's the guy that did Juergen Klopp's hair (footy?). That kind of swung it for me. Worth checking both of them out though, good luck!

Will

Hey Will,

Your AMAZING post was:

a) one of the reasons I signed up for this forum

b) gave me an extra reason to visit De Reys.

Your post was also the reason I asked dr De Reys about body hair (not that I have any, I was just interested) ... and he said "yeah , don't do that anymore ... did it once at the special request of a customer, so I guess that was you :) "

You did have ALOT of donor tho ... I guess I'm lucky to have just sufficient donor for 1500 FUE :/ My hair in the back is , and always has been so incredibly thin too :/ talking about bad genes.

• 2 weeks later...

So , today I went to Bisanga for a consult.

He said (summary): nope, can't do anything for you. your donor is too weak, bye (again , summary ... he took enough time to assess the misfortune of my donor :) )

I guess it 's important to get those different views on the matter. I'm really leaning towards trusting Bisanga on this call ... sad but true.

Hi Chemicalbrother,

Out of curiosity, what is your donor density?

Also, were you only considering FUE? Did Dr. Bisanga mention whether you may be a candidate for FUT?

I also had a consultation with Dr. Bisanga recently, and my impression of him is that he is very honest and ethical.

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

hm ... did not really get that number :(

maybe I should have asked.

If you want I will send them an email to get that number. If it helps you in any way.

Yeah , Bisanga seems legit. He's a bit of a funny guy tho. If I would see him on the street I wouldn't necessarily think of him as a top Hair Transplant surgeon.

I was quite nervous when I went in for my consultation, telling myself that I most likely would not be a candidate, just to not disappoint myself. I am a Norwood 5 going on 6, who just started taking Propecia today, and I hardly have any hair on top remaining, and my crown is starting to dip. So putting this into perspective, you still have a lot of hair on top, which frames your face. You were smart to get on Propecia at a young age. Thinning is fine. However, I hardly have anything left at only 28. I started taking in back in 2009, but got scared of the negative reviews.

Were you open to FUT?

I asked Bisanga if it would be possible to only do FUE in my case, and he joked saying I would not be happy with the result. Funny guy! hehe

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

I'm not open to FUT no. My hair in the back is REALLY freakishly thin ... I don't want to damage the skin there with some strip , just in case my only solution is shaving my entire head.

There is a little bit of hope tho ... Dr Mwamba (also in Belgium, what do you know) is doing some exciting stuff together with Dr Nigam resulting in "unlimited donor".

I'll drop the link (to another forum) in your PM to not violate any rules here :) (dunno if there are rules against posting links to other sites tho)

@Chemicalbrother

Hi. Do you know if there was a list that you could be put in case they have a cancellation? The clinic may have some system established to shorten your waiting period. We try to accommodate those who need special arrangements made even though the operating schedule is quite strict. I bet that they have a list or something in place to simplify the waiting process.

Have you also consulted with any clinics who are actively participating in the study of donor doubling?

Free in-person consultations in London with Dr. Patrick Mwamba - Sat., Feb. 15th, 2014

My opinions are based on my beliefs and are simply my own. I am one representative of the WHTC clinic.

Free Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

Brussels, Belgium - Available

London, United Kingdom - Available

Zurich, Switzerland - Available

Bologna, Italy - Available

Follow us: Facebook - Youtube - Pinterest

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

@Chemicalbrother

Hi. Do you know if there was a list that you could be put in case they have a cancellation? The clinic may have some system established to shorten your waiting period. We try to accommodate those who need special arrangements made even though the operating schedule is quite strict. I bet that they have a list or something in place to simplify the waiting process.

Have you also consulted with any clinics who are actively participating in the study of donor doubling?

Free in-person consultations in London with Dr. Patrick Mwamba - Sat., Feb. 15th, 2014

Very interesting and to -the-point post because:

1) yes, I have asked them to call me as soon as they have a cancellation , cause I'm very flexible. I can be at Feriduni's office literally in 45 minutes, all day , every day (I work from home)

2) yes, I have tried to contact Dr Mwamba's office ... especially after a) reading about (early) trials for donor doubling by Mwamba and b) putting two and two together as 'donor doubling' would be awesome for people like me (people that get refused for Fue because of shitty donor, pardon my french).

Have not heard back from Mwamba's office tho. Maybe my question wasn't focussed enough (I asked him if donor doubling would be something for people like me, but it might be too early days for him to reply or say anything conclusive to potential customers about that). Any idea what the best way would be to contact him / his office ?

again: the only "luck" I have is that I'm located in Belgium ... the mecca of top transplant surgeons :) ... hell if Mwamba needs people for a donor doubling trial , I think I would even volunteer (so he can follow up very strictly , cause I'm only 30 minutes away from his office)

Sorry to hear about your troublesome donor CB.

I met all 4 docs (Bisanga, Feriduni, Mwamba, De Reys) over a 2 day period back in March for some in-person consultations. One of the many interesting things I got from it was getting the different assessments from each doc. All 4 varied to a degree, Dr Bisanga and Dr Mwambas ideas were quite similar, De Reys estimated 500 grafts fewer, while Feriduni estimated quite a bit more than the others. He also had higher measurements for my donor than the others, so this 'possibly' may happen to you. Granted the signs are not great if Dr Bisanga says things are too thin, but if I were you I would certainly get an in-person meet with both Drs Feriduni and Mwamba, particularly seeing as you live so close!

2,200 FUE + PRP with Dr Bisanga - BHR Clinic, 22-23 August 2013 - http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/171950-my-fue-2-200-prp-dr-bisanga-bhr-clinic.html

Current Regimen:

- Rogaine 5% Foam 2x daily

- Jasons Restorative Biotin Shampoo 2x daily / Nizoral 2% 2x weekly

- Nettle Root 500mg, MSM 1500mg, Biotin 5mg, Multi Vit, Omega 3

• 3 weeks later...

@ChemicalBrother

Hi. I have sent you some correspondence via PM. You should see a message from me in your inbox. I definitely look forward to helping you with your requests. Happy holidays.

London, United Kingdom - February 15, 2014 (Saturday)

Zurich, Switzerland - March 8, 2014 (Saturday)

Bologna, Italy - June 5, 2014 (Saturday)

My opinions are based on my beliefs and are simply my own. I am one representative of the WHTC clinic.

Brussels, Belgium - Available

London, United Kingdom - Available

Zurich, Switzerland - Available

Bologna, Italy - Available

Follow us: Facebook - Youtube - Pinterest

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

This seems like a strange result. The pics posted on the first page are pretty bad quality taken from poor angles, but on that first picture looking at the side of your head your donor doesn't look too bad. What am I missing here?

This seems like a strange result. The pics posted on the first page are pretty bad quality taken from poor angles, but on that first picture looking at the side of your head your donor doesn't look too bad. What am I missing here?

No idea what you are missing. All I know is that I'm missing some solid donor :)

agreed. those pics are dreadful ...