2000 grafts what do you guys think?

jason5

Hello everyone. Im newbie on this forum and i thought i should post the pictures of the result of my 2000 grafts strip surgery performed by a pretty decorated physician. The idea was to fill in left and right temple and also lower the hairline maybe a cm. It has now gone 18 month and the result is insignificant. Almost as i never really underwent the surgery in the first place. And that has kind of being the attitude i have tried to hold on to in this period.

I dont know if im going to go all blast and tell you straight away who it is, because of my own interest which is to maybe having the procedure redone ( the physician has luckily enough invited me back. So, now im finding myself in the position, doing it all again, whole freakin process for free, or maybe find another physician with a little help of you guys.

PS.Let me know if you guys cant see the uploaded pictures for some reason.

20131030_154809.jpg.196b5bf4c03529b53408ec1fc56c68c1.jpg

20131030_155019.jpg.5361a606404d8b1bd85f0dd9aba07903.jpg

Hi Jason,

It looks like you didn't achieve your ideal restoration. I'm glad your physician is willing to work with you. At this point, I think it is important to determine whether or not you feel comfortable going through a second procedure with your original doctor, or if you would like to seek surgery with a different physician.

Maybe you should undergo the second consult with your original physician, but attend several other consults with new hair restoration physicians and garner their input? This may help you determine the best way to move forward.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions. Good luck!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Sure, thanks for the support. I would need to do exactly that. It is a concern that this doctor is very highly thought of, but couldn't reproduce hair at all. Its very hard to evaluate risks in this business as well. Doctors operate with the term, "low", but what does that really mean? 50%? 5% failure rate? God knows.

jason, I would certainly consult other doctors and would urge you not to return to your first doc simply because he is offering you free work. What makes you think the outcome will be different a second time? My only suggestion in the interim is to perhaps trim your native hair a bit lower and try some concealer such as Dermatch to blend it together.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

jason, I would certainly consult other doctors and would urge you not to return to your first doc simply because he is offering you free work. What makes you think the outcome will be different a second time? My only suggestion in the interim is to perhaps trim your native hair a bit lower and try some concealer such as Dermatch to blend it together.

Again, thanks for replying folks, it really helps during this process.

I have never tried that stuff out. My hope now is that there is a small prosentage of all procedures that goes to hell, and i unfortunately was the unlucky one this time around. You always here about good surgeons, but suddenly, some horrior stories comes up, why? Well..my thought would be..that all procedures doesnt go well. My line of thought for future treatment is to either go with my old surgeon and hope that for some reason i was the unlucky one in a statistic failure rate no one really governs over. Like chemotherapy fighting cancer. Or, find me another "world class" surgeon, that no one ever have heard has done any harm to their patient.

Anyway,he has the integrity to redo a procedure for free, although he said judging by the picture i sent that he calculated 800 graft which isnt sufficient i believe, but ill guess that will be negotiable when he sees it upclose.

The surgoen is actually recommended by this forum. Maybe there is a significantly difference operating on black contra Caucasians. I thought first that if youre good, youre good. Maybe i havent done my homework.

yea i saw that, dont know whats goin on there, that scar is not only pretty bad but it looks more like a bosley scar in terms of its not ear to ear and its crooked

Slightly confused, scar?

welcome to the forums, good luck in your journey to regain some hair, are you suffering from mpb, or are you trying to lower hairline .? the reason why I ask is because the rest of your hair looks amazing ,no signs of hair loss,i see work was done in the corners of your hairline, do you have any preop pics to compare? 2000 grafts is a lot for such a small area, its nice of the doc to offer a free touch up, but I would look to go to some one else, to add more grafts, research the forums , theres a lot of info here to learn ,once you have three new docs ,have consults with each of them , and take it from there,you have a limited supply of hair to use , keep us updated, im pulin for ya. good luck

I would contact the doctor and see exactly what he says. I don't think I would be too happy with that.

Without knowing who he is, it is hard to give any advice on whether or not to give it another shot. You can PM someone that you trust if you are not willing to out the doctor yet and get another opinion.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

welcome to the forums, good luck in your journey to regain some hair, are you suffering from mpb, or are you trying to lower hairline .? the reason why I ask is because the rest of your hair looks amazing ,no signs of hair loss,i see work was done in the corners of your hairline, do you have any preop pics to compare? 2000 grafts is a lot for such a small area, its nice of the doc to offer a free touch up, but I would look to go to some one else, to add more grafts, research the forums , theres a lot of info here to learn ,once you have three new docs ,have consults with each of them , and take it from there,you have a limited supply of hair to use , keep us updated, im pulin for ya. good luck

Thanks for answering buddy!

My hair is pretty dense curly and thick most places expect in the front, both temples and the sides. I have started to consult with other doctors to see whats out there. One thing i remember was odd during the operation is that the hairline that was made was kind of caucasian, shaped as an U. I dont know if that tells us anything about the experience level with that doctor handling black hairs, but other doctors like to mention this as a sales pitch on youtube videos and what not. I dont know if you can on this basis can argument that this is the main reason why the end result was so bad, but it sure isnt comforting.

I would contact the doctor and see exactly what he says. I don't think I would be too happy with that.

Without knowing who he is, it is hard to give any advice on whether or not to give it another shot. You can PM someone that you trust if you are not willing to out the doctor yet and get another opinion.

Good advice. I have briefly talked with the doctor about the result during post-treatment. While I was concerned the whole time, he replied that the growth seen was normal. After 12 month, he said that he believed 60-70 % growth had occurred, but urges me to wait to 18 months. My opinion is that after 9 month the growth seen was approx 15% I dont know if he is used to patient that suddenly go from totally bald to thick hair within the last 2-3 months.

Couple of weeks ago when i asked him what he believed to be the reason, he said that he believed that the reason why my hair didnt grow was possibly due to competition with the surrounding hair. But even places that were completely bald in the beginning like at the sides failed to grow without having any competing hair near by, so he doesnt make sense with this argument as far as i can see. But what do i know.

Jason, I would definitely go talk to 2-3 other HT surgeons.. and also ask them if your original doc's explanation is reasonable...

A free 2nd treatment says alot about the doc trying to get it right... but, if his skill level isn't there for your type of hair, you don't want to go through that again with him and have to wait another 18 months and waste your donors in the hands of an unskilled person.... bottom line.. evaluate your options, do more research and then make the choice.. good luck to you my friend!

Paulygon is a former patient of Dr. Parsa Mohebi

My regimen includes:

HT #1 2710 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in 2012

Rogaine foam 2x daily, since 2012 (stopped ~10/2015)

Finasteride 1.25mg daily, since 2012 (stopped ~12/2015)

HT #2 3238 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in Jun. 2016

Started Rogaine and Propecia in July. 2016 after being off of them for about a year.

Jason, have you been talking to ISHRS doctors? The one who operated on you, was he ISHRS?

I looked at Dr. Dieps youtube vid.

Are you planning on doing strip or FUE?

Paulygon is a former patient of Dr. Parsa Mohebi

My regimen includes:

HT #1 2710 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in 2012

Rogaine foam 2x daily, since 2012 (stopped ~10/2015)

Finasteride 1.25mg daily, since 2012 (stopped ~12/2015)

HT #2 3238 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in Jun. 2016

Started Rogaine and Propecia in July. 2016 after being off of them for about a year.

Since i already have underwent a strip and do have a scar im probably going to do another strip. Its cheaper as well.

So, after i have talked to my surgeon on monday/tuesday im probably going to release who did my last surgery. The surgeon is recommended by this forum.

• 1 month later...

I will also announce this message here as i know some of you has wondered if i ever came to a final conclusion. I will write here what i have written on another thread : I do think to this date that the doctor is a highly skilled surgeon who wants the best for his patients. I would also like to say that I feel like he has answered all my messages in a positive and professional manner from the day I sent him the first email, until today and that I bare no grudge to anyone.

I would also like to say, if I haven't said it before, I think he is a very pleasant person both honest and sincere. I am now satisfied and happy with the offer my physician has suggested to me.