2801 Grafts by Dr Steve Gabel

Grafty

First of all, I want to thank everyone on this forum for the wealth of information. I've been referring to the forum daily, more so in the last month, as I recently made the decision to have a FUT procedure done. It has been extremely helpful in answering some of my questions/concerns prior-to and after my procedure.

History

I'm in my early 40s. My hairline and front area has been slowly receding/thinning over the span of about 10 years. I haven't been on any prescribed meds (i.e. propecia/finasteride) until this last couple of weeks. Have not used Rogaine either. In retrospect, maybe I should have started! I was too worried about the potential sides after doing extensive research. I have been taking a "Hair-Skin-Nails" multi-vitamin for 5 or so years and Nizoral shampoo off and on. It has perhaps helped slow down the hair-loss process? Not sure.

I've been researching the pros/cons of hair transplants off/on for 5-10 years. As of the last two years, and more so in the last year, I really noticed that my hairline had receded to the point where I was resorting to some comb-over/caesar haircut techniques. I figured that it was finally time to make the move.

My first consultation was with one of the best Docs in N. America. I don't want to name drop but let's just say that I've only read good things about his practice on EVERY hair-loss forum. I wanted a second opinion so my second consultation was with Dr Gabel, whose practice happened to be located in my area. Moreover, a good friend had his crown transplant done by Dr Gabel and was happy with the results.

The consultation went very well. I was greeted by Dr Gabel's patient coordinator, Aileen. She gave me an overview of the procedure and answered my questions. Dr Gabel then came in and went over my patient questionnaire. After we were done, he evaluated my recipient and donor area. I then asked him to draw a hairline. He estimated 2800-3200 grafts would be needed for the density I was seeking. We took some photos and I asked that he forward them to me so I can look it over that evening. I wanted to do my due diligence, so I did more research online. I found that he gets great reviews online, from his patients, and peers alike. I also checked out some of his 'before and afters.' All this was great news, as I would not have to leave the Portland area to have surgery!

Surgery

I arrived at 6:30am and was greeted by Aileen, Dr Gabel's patient coordinator. We went over some paperwork and was given a menu to pick my complimentary lunch. Thereafter, Dr Gabel asked me to draw the hairline I had sent him via email. I bought an eye liner and drew some hairlines which I had emailed Dr. Gabel. This to me, was a critical part of the procedure. He was very patient and assisted me in correcting it so that it looked natural. We finally came up with the final draft. He took some photos and we went on to the surgery room where he proceeded to numb the donor area, remove the strip, and suture it up. Just like I read online, the numbing injections felt like bee stings. OK, a bee on steroids, lol. No pain was felt during the procedure.

The techs then went to work on the strip to extract the grafts. Dr Gabel numbed the recipient area and started to make the incisions on my scalp. There was a team of 4-5 techs if I recall, all there for my procedure. All of his techs have no less than 8 years of experience. How do I know? I asked! Don't be shy when it comes to this stuff. He only schedules one surgery per day from what I understand. Dr Gabel, with the assistance of his tech, Krissy, then proceeded to plant the grafts. Dr Gabel is there throughout the surgery, as I read online and confirmed by my friend. It was comforting to know that I was getting his full attention. Literally, he was there from beginning to finish, except for my lunch break. I was done around 6pm and was given instructions on taking the meds. Moreover, I was told to come back the next day for a cleaning.

The night-of wasn't as painful as I had anticipated. The biggest issue was trying to sleep at a 30-45 degree angle. I sleep on my stomach and am a light sleeper to begin with. The next morning, I went back in for the cleaning. Krissy did a great job and provided me with a Saline spray which I think was instrumental in keeping my recipient area clean. Dr Gabel also telephoned me to see if had any questions and to make sure I was adhering to his instructions! Matter of fact, he called me 2-3 times in the first 7 days.

I had the surgery on 9/3/13. Just had my sutures removed by Krissy today. It has been 9 days. I am very happy with the results thus far. Dr Gabel evaluated my recipient area today and is happy with it too.

I may have missed some steps in between, as I am writing all of this from memory, so if you have any questions feel free to ask away! Photos can be seen on my blog (link should be in my profile)

Edited by Grafty
fixed extra spaces in between paragraphs

Good luck Grafty it looks like some nice work done by Dr. Gabel. The close up photography is outstanding, you can really see the lateral slit technique employed as clear as day. You seem to have wavy/coarser type hair that will go a long way in providing coverage. I expect a great result for you.

Now hurry up and wait. =)

Nice write up and pics Grafty.

Dr Gabel is top notch. Keep the forum posted.

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

Great write up. You can tell this will be a good un.

Any idea what the purple dye is for? I've seen it used by at least 3 other Drs and always wondered.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Great write up. You can tell this will be a good un.

Any idea what the purple dye is for? I've seen it used by at least 3 other Drs and always wondered.

I agree, it's gonna be a home run for sure!

On the dye: After all the little recipient holes are made for the new hairs, it's really easy to lose track of them (especially when there are thousands of them) and miss a few when inserting the new follicles; so the non-toxic purple dye is painting onto the scalp after the holes are made, and then it is wiped off - but it stays down in the holes and sort of lights them up so they stand out and are highly visible, so the doctor doesn't miss any. I have similar pics in my timeline.

• 5 weeks later...

I think you are a little ahead of the game. Looking great. Your characteristics are really going to help you out.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looking very good, the next few months are GROWing to be awesome for you

1st HT 1973 FUT's with Dr.Robert Mcclellan 6/28/2007

*unfortunately I have no info on hair count on my 1st surgery ..

2nd HT 3026 FUT's with Dr. Bernadino Arocha 1/9/2014

1's - 797

2's - 3700

3's - 246

5634 hairs

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/attachment.php?attachmentid=54945&d=1389315686

3026 FUTs 1 day HT#2 post op frontal picture