#6 and no eyebrows

Jazzmin

Greetings!

I am new to this website. I'm trying to maintain the (thinning) hair that I have right now and am not interested in pursuing transplant surgery at this time. However, my husband is. He's a #6 on the scale and was born without eyebrows. I volunteered to do the research.

We live in Southern California. We had a consultation a couple of years ago with Dr. Ziering in Newport Beach. We then set up a consultation with Dr. Paul McAndrews in Pasadena that was cancelled at the last minute. After reading some bad reviews on both doctors, I'm not convinced that either one is the right choice.

We decided to put this pursuit on hold until now.

Can anyone recommend an excellent surgeon with great reviews and a good bedside manner in my area?

Sincerely,

Jazzmin

I wouldn't limit yourself to an area if your ultimate goal is to find the most capable surgeon for both of you. A NW6 requires an experienced and skilled surgeon. This site has a list of coalition members although I would strongly suggest that you scrutinize even those recommended doctors as they are not created equal.

Good advice above. You shouldn't limit yourself on location and convenience it should be the best Doctor for your husbands situation. For those Doctors that you are not near you should set up online consultations via good clear photos. The list of Doctors on here would be a very good place to start.

There are also many excellent blogs/websites of documented patient experiences here

Hair Transplant Blogs

They have been kind enough to state the level of loss of the front of each case so finding other Norwood 6's will be easy.

All the best.

---

Former patient and representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

Are you looking for eyebrows or the entire head. Dr. Umar is in California and has done some nice eyebrow work.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Your premonition and intuition about the first two doctors was spot on although IMHO Dr. Andrews would be the better choice. Dr. Ziering was formerly with a large hair mill Medical Hair Restoration (MHR) who was acquired by Bosley several years ago.

You definitely want to expand your search.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

In addition, the best results with Norwood class 6 patients are individuals with outstanding hair characteristics, meaning, a high grade of coarseness (hair caliber), and optimal donor density.

Depending on your husband's goals and expectations, some class 6 patients are able to achieve some good results.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Jazzmin, You should definitely check out Dr. Umar. He has some nice eyebrow transplant examples. One thing to keep in mind with Umar, however, is that he only offers the FUE procedure, not strip. I'd also check out Hasson and Wong. These are two good places to start your search. Do not let travel limit your husband either. Best of luck!

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Thank you Fue123. Sorry to the group for the long delay in responding. My niece left the state suddenly and we inherited her kitty who we are fostering until we can find her a good home. With two special needs dogs and a traumatized kitty, our hands are full.

I wish the surgeon-seeking process were easier than it is. However, I'm not on a time limit and I'm willing to do the research.

I will take your advice about not limiting our search to the area (or state) we live in.

Sincerely,

Jazzmin

I wouldn't limit yourself to an area if your ultimate goal is to find the most capable surgeon for both of you. A NW6 requires an experienced and skilled surgeon. This site has a list of coalition members although I would strongly suggest that you scrutinize even those recommended doctors as they are not created equal.

Thanks much, Garageland. Your user name could easily be my husband's as he spends most of his free time in there!

Online consultations with out of the area surgeons using good, clear photos or perhaps even Skype (?) sounds like a great idea!

Sincerely,

Jazzmin

Good advice above. You shouldn't limit yourself on location and convenience it should be the best Doctor for your husbands situation. For those Doctors that you are not near you should set up online consultations via good clear photos. The list of Doctors on here would be a very good place to start.

There are also many excellent blogs/websites of documented patient experiences here

Hair Transplant Blogs

They have been kind enough to state the level of loss of the front of each case so finding other Norwood 6's will be easy.

All the best.

Thank you Spanker, for your reply and the referral.

My husband is looking for eyebrows, mustache and chin-beard (but not one that hangs down). I'm sure there's an "official" name for it.

He might consider more work, but he said he wouldn't mind shaving his head if he was happy with those other things. He's going for the Bryan Cranston look in "Breaking Bad". Right now, he's sporting the 1/2 a mustache and scraggly look. He wants the surgeon to see everything he's trying to do.

Gotta say....it's hard to live with but I'm getting used to it.

The eyebrows are the most important thing to him. I will contact Dr. Umar.

Sincerely,

Jazzmin

Are you looking for eyebrows or the entire head. Dr. Umar is in California and has done some nice eyebrow work.

Thanks much, gillenator.

I was just about to contact Dr. Andrews again when I saw a couple of bad reviews about his bedside manner.

Having gone through the ringer myself with brilliant doctors (for a different condition) who were quite cruel, I feel pretty strongly about holding out for the combination of skill, patience and kindness.

I'm willing to compromise on the latter, but just a little if the skills are outstanding and the patient reviews are excellent.

Sincerely,

Jazzmin

Your premonition and intuition about the first two doctors was spot on although IMHO Dr. Andrews would be the better choice. Dr. Ziering was formerly with a large hair mill Medical Hair Restoration (MHR) who was acquired by Bosley several years ago.

You definitely want to expand your search.

Thank you again gillenator. My husband has a high grade of coarseness and I believe optimal donor density, as well. Hopefully, this will work in his favor.

Sincerely,

Jazzmin

In addition, the best results with Norwood class 6 patients are individuals with outstanding hair characteristics, meaning, a high grade of coarseness (hair caliber), and optimal donor density.

Depending on your husband's goals and expectations, some class 6 patients are able to achieve some good results.

Thanks much, hairthere.

I will definitely check out Dr. Umar and Hasson & Wong.

I'm don't know what FUE or strip procedures are, but I am sure I will learn.

Does this group, as a whole, recommend one type of procedure over the other?

Sincerely,

Jazzmin

Jazzmin, You should definitely check out Dr. Umar. He has some nice eyebrow transplant examples. One thing to keep in mind with Umar, however, is that he only offers the FUE procedure, not strip. I'd also check out Hasson and Wong. These are two good places to start your search. Do not let travel limit your husband either. Best of luck!