donor scar at almost 8 months post-op. Looks bad. Need advice.

Hi everyone. Posted this in the wrong subforum earlier.

I had my procedure about 7.5 months ago. It was 1600 grafts to my frontal area. I'm getting quite worried about my donor scar area. It seems to be quite "bald" and a little pink still.

I just got a haircut a couple days ago, and decided to return to my normal shorter length on the sides and back of head (about a 2). Big mistake. I took some pictures, and I was disappointed in the look of my scar.

I've attached some pictures.

In picture 001, it doesn't look so bad; looks like it could get better with time. But in 012 - 015 the scar is quite nasty-looking, probably also somewhat due to my head being turned down. 018 is a close up.

Can you guys (and gals) tell me if this progress is normal for nearly 8 months post-op. Is is possible there is still some shock loss that needs to grow back yet? Anyone have a similar experience that actually turned out for the better?

Thanks for your time in responding.

001.jpg.adda3488d8dbd1cc44bdd32ea1a16f9b.jpg

012.jpg.b56eea3d6d30ed59d0a71272aa465731.jpg

013.jpg.b1715913b54015bdc2fb4bb45f076e44.jpg

014.jpg.8a26af15f69d2f6f8193e12c44cebed0.jpg

015.jpg.b785d2f97aa0ebdddc93a9714fc38da8.jpg

018.jpg.bae904e70a3d102965f098f97994b2bc.jpg

The redness will eventually subside. Your scar looks to have stretched a bit there in that one pic for sure and at 8 months I think that any shockloss would have grown back. The good news is that if you let your hair grow out just a little bit no one will be the wiser. Use a little concealer and nobody will notice for now.

your scar looks a bit stretched,but it's not fully healed and takes at least a year to fully heal and for redness to fade.it's best if you give it more time.

also with a strip ht,number 2 cut is not a good idea and I think any scar will become apparent.with fut you need to keep your hair a little longer regardless of width of the scar.

The redness will eventually subside. Your scar looks to have stretched a bit there in that one pic for sure and at 8 months I think that any shockloss would have grown back. The good news is that if you let your hair grow out just a little bit no one will be the wiser. Use a little concealer and nobody will notice for now.

True, longer hair can cover the scar better, but I look better with short hair. And I'm stubborn because longer hair on the sides makes me look weird. Still disappointed with scar area.

I'll just hope that things improve over the next months. If not, scar revision time. :mad:

Grade 2 with strip is very hard to pull off. The general consensus is a grade 3. I hope things get better for you but at 8 months i dont think it is still shockloss :(

Hope the scar gets better with time!

It's a shame that the HT procedure is still producing scars like this on people. Just seems so backwards. Hope in the next few years this will be completely outdated by solid FUE with high yield. Sorry to say you might have to look into revision.

But wait until 12 months. It still might smooth out a bit.

I'm curious if your doctor told you pre-op that you would be able to shave down to a 2 guard, or if it was discussed at all. In all the cases I have seen I think there have been maybe 2 or 3 strip patients that have been able to shave down to a 2 guard. Typically a 4 guard is as low as most strip patients are able to go without the scar showing, some aren't even able to go that low.

I really really really really really really fear anything to happen to my scar. This is making me nervous.

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

Hair transplant 5-22-2013 with Dr. Paul Shapiro at Shapiro Medical Group

Total grafts transplanted: 3222

*536 singles *1651 doubles * 961 triples,

*74 quadruples.

Total hairs transplanted: 7017

Non-Surgical Treatments:

*1.25 mg finasteride daily

*Generic minoxidil foam 2x daily

I'm curious if your doctor told you pre-op that you would be able to shave down to a 2 guard, or if it was discussed at all. In all the cases I have seen I think there have been maybe 2 or 3 strip patients that have been able to shave down to a 2 guard. Typically a 4 guard is as low as most strip patients are able to go without the scar showing, some aren't even able to go that low.

I had a doctor tell me a grade 2 or 3 would be possible... naturally he was trying to sell me strip over fue...

I had a doctor tell me a grade 2 or 3 would be possible... naturally he was trying to sell me strip over fue...

Well technically shaving to a 2 or 3 is possible, but not probable. There is a fine line in this industry between selling yourself and creating unreasonable expectations that will inevitably end in disappointment. Often the clinics roll as an educator is overlooked, and I think it ultimately hurts the clinic. If doctors don't spend enough time making sure the patient is fully informed about the reality and all possible outcomes of the procedure they are only creating problems for themselves when inflated expectations are not met. The response to how close the donor area can be cut post op should be somewhere between a 2 guard and a 6 guard depending on many factors that occur during the healing process. Not being able to go below a 6 guard is probably not the norm, but neither is being able to shave to a 2 guard.

Well technically shaving to a 2 or 3 is possible, but not probable. There is a fine line in this industry between selling yourself and creating unreasonable expectations that will inevitably end in disappointment. Often the clinics roll as an educator is overlooked, and I think it ultimately hurts the clinic. If doctors don't spend enough time making sure the patient is fully informed about the reality and all possible outcomes of the procedure they are only creating problems for themselves when inflated expectations are not met. The response to how close the donor area can be cut post op should be somewhere between a 2 guard and a 6 guard depending on many factors that occur during the healing process. Not being able to go below a 6 guard is probably not the norm, but neither is being able to shave to a 2 guard.

Very rare that i have seen a strip undetected at grade 2(if ever). I just feel it was unethical for the doc to say 'dont worry about the strip scar, my patients get away undetected with a grade 2 or 3'. It was a doc i consulted with before i went with someone else but the notion stayed with me :(

I will sometimes go down to a three. At that length, the scar itself is not visible but there is an obvious indented line in the hair that appears at "hat head". This is due to the direction of growth of the hair in and around the scar line. I don't really mind it and it grows out pretty quick anyway.

At a 4, my scar line is a non-issue.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

I am pretty sure I have seen 2 maybe 3 cases where someone was able to shave down to a 2 guard, I can't remember which cases (when I don't have as much work as I do now I will try and find them), but yeah i would never tell anyone they could shave down to a 2. Like can't decide said and takingtheplunge I think a 4 guard is realistic but there is always a chance it will be better or worse. I myself am about 5 months from my last op and I didn't have the doc remove all of my first scar and I have lower donor density and I can pull off a 4 guard right now. I do however scar really well.