Few questions before i make the leap

Firstly im new to the site and have viewed many posts and learnt plenty from here in recent months. Below are some questions and information about me.

Im almost 23 and ive been losing hair since 17, its now between M2/M3 an my crown is still strong. I live in Birmingham England and yes i want a hair transplant. I've seen most people my age told to wait a while but ive planned this since i was 19. I was also a very confident person when i was 16 id talk to plenty of girls, make new friends with ease, go on stage but now im hiding in dark corners hoping no one will notice me and wearing a hat everyday and i fear going into work as people will see my hair. I also have a good set of donor hair and am aware i may need another transplant later in life probably 27 and therefore must keep a realistic view of the thickness of hair to ensure future loss can be covered.

1. Does anyone know of a good FUE surgeon/clinic in the UK (research leads me to -Dr. Raghu Reddy - Dr. Kouremada Zioga - Dr. Bessam Farjo)?

2.I do not wish to travel overseas as im 22 and would be alone but would you strongly advise this or not?

3. Should if/when i go for the HT i cut my hair short (grade 3 etc) ?

4. Side effects ?

5. average cost for 1750 grafts (from what i have researched i need between 1250-1750)?

6. should i do this (i want to do this, my family says do it, an ive got 4 months of free time ahead of me, but do those with experience agree with me)?

7. Time taken to get a consultation and then the surgery?

Please feel free to add any other information you think would be helpfully to my situation thank you

I'll answer what I can...

1. I wouldn't let going overseas determine where you do your transplant. Don't settle for anything less than something you are 100% sure with.

2. There's no reason to cut your hair short (Except in the donor area where they shave you), it might be easier for the Dr. to do it with shorter hair tho.

3. Side effects of what? The only one you might actually be concerned with is shock loss, look it up.

5. average cost for 1750 grafts (from what i have researched i need between 1250-1750)? Varies from place to place, I know HDC in cyprus which is a well respected place is doing grafts for FUE at 3.2 Euros and they will pay for your airfare and stay there at that cost. Usually other respected clinics/drs in Europe charge about 4.5-7 USD for FUE, some even charge $10 per graft.In turkey the prices are half.

6. should i do this (i want to do this, my family says do it, an ive got 4 months of free time ahead of me, but do those with experience agree with me)?

If you want to do it, than do it, you shouldn't care what people here think.

Consultation you can do over the internet with pictures, or visit a clinic. Usually respected clinics will half about a one-two month wait for surgery. Surgery for 1750 grafts is a one day deal almost anywhere.

1. Does anyone know of a good FUE surgeon/clinic in the UK (research leads me to -Dr. Raghu Reddy - Dr. Kouremada Zioga - Dr. Bessam Farjo)?

2.I do not wish to travel overseas as im 22 and would be alone but would you strongly advise this or not?

3. Should if/when i go for the HT i cut my hair short (grade 3 etc) ?

4. Side effects ?

5. average cost for 1750 grafts (from what i have researched i need between 1250-1750)?

Please feel free to add any other information you think would be helpfully to my situation thank you

1. I don't know much about any of these, but from what I do know is that Farjo is considered "good" but way overpriced.

2. I would only advise it if you find a doctor out there that you like. I'm 23 and I'm planning on going to Turkey with my gf in July.

3. That's up to you. Doctors prefer it shaved down and it can help them to find areas of miniaturizing hair.

4. The side effects can be permanent shock lose, but this is down to whether transplanted hair is planted near hair that is already considered "dying" and that the shock near it causes it to fall out.

5. Average cost varies. I'm paying 4000Euros for 2000, but I have been quoted up to 11,000 Euros for the same amount of grafts. I assume you're planning on FUE?

6. Only you can answer that. At the end of the day, if it bothers you that much then I say yes. Most people on here will tell you to go on Fin for a year then see how you feel. Where as I don't want to be on meds and I am just going for it, I also know that I am probably going to need another procedure later on in my life.

7. This also varies. Most consultations can be done online, it is down to when they have free time. It's worth sending out photos to some doctors now if you have 4 months free time coming up.

Hope this helped.

Thanks for the advice, ive looked into the shock loss an it seems ok as its just hairs that are almost gone mostly. I must say i feel more comfortable doing this now and im acceptant of the fact ill most likely need more HT as i get older, ill just put some money aside and prepare.

Ive gone ahead an done a online assessment with UK Hair Transplant clinics. they seem ok from the information ive seen just gotta research the surgeons now. Hopefully get a email back from them soon :)

I can recommend Crown Cosma Clinic based in the UK, with leading hair transplant surgeon Dr Shahmalak. They can offer you a free consultation so you are able to discuss any queries or concerns you may have with the doctor himself. You should do it if it will make you happy and give you confidence. Ultimately it's something that may seem pricey, but will have a lifelong effect on your confidence and your appearance, only you can make the decision, but I do not feel it is something you would regret.

ive just got an email back from Crown Clinic, it thanks me for the enquiry an says ordinarily i wouldn't be considered a patient due to my age and explains that hair could fall out behind the transplanted hairs (i am aware that the situation described may occur in time but i would ensure not to have to many grafts as to save some for/if the occasion arrives, also this is a case with the majority of HT anyone between stages 1-4 could still lose more hair between/behind the transplant). IT then states the average hair transplant cost.

Which leads me to my question what do i do now, it sound like they may still treat me as they inform me of prices and from the word "ordinarily". do i email them back and if so saying what or will they contact me again or is this a kind way of saying your to young and therefore deal with it until they deem it reasonable to preform surgery.

I can recommend Crown Cosma Clinic based in the UK, with leading hair transplant surgeon Dr Shahmalak. They can offer you a free consultation so you are able to discuss any queries or concerns you may have with the doctor himself. You should do it if it will make you happy and give you confidence. Ultimately it's something that may seem pricey, but will have a lifelong effect on your confidence and your appearance, only you can make the decision, but I do not feel it is something you would regret.

Alex1, do you work for Crown Cosma Clinic? You used to have a link in your signature for that clinic, but you have removed it. If you don't work for the clinic have you had a procedure performed by them?

Hello mate,

Post some pictures and we will let you know what we think, but from what I've read so far it sounds like a bad idea.

NW2 or 3 is not bad. You should be using minoxidil and finasteride for now.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

greatjob i do not work for them, I had a procedure done by them so I thought would be a good way to share and help others. But i agree to post some pictures, it is not necessary if you are so young to be getting work done just yet, my friend was turned away as he was also not ready and was told to take some medication and should go back in a year. Doctors there to give you the best possible advice.

Here are a few pictures if i don't brush my hair forward to cover the temples a little bit. I want to have the transplant but can understand people thoughts as for example - i could have the HT now, 12 months later the new hairs look good but more hair has continued to fall out leaving a bald spot on top of my head which i again would get a HT to cover, But this is all easier said than done.

I've looked into minoxidil and finasteride and at first i thought well if i can take them as a tablet then ill do it (just find it easier and less time consuming) then i saw the side effects and wow i don't feel like risking any of them cancer, libido, poor ejaculation etc. if any can find a website giving you the odds of getting these ill happily look and may reconsider but as of what ive seen minoxidil and finasteride will likely (in time) half help with your hair problem but give you a problem with your manhood. :(

IMG_1986.jpg.4de9610087aaa8172bf704b594365c9a.jpg

IMG_1988.JPG.4150f22e0eb21f9cf4cced9f44286182.JPG

IMG_1989.JPG.5f7449f24f81c84540f677f82f761dd0.JPG

IMG_1993.jpg.98a41f5ed652616c3248bff45551ce2e.jpg

Personally I think you'd need a higher number of grafts than your own estimate, if you want to bring the hairline down more than about a centimetre and want the density to be high.

Be please be aware of what sort of result you will be getting from the lower quotes and be prepared for higher ones.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Here are a few pictures if i don't brush my hair forward to cover the temples a little bit. I want to have the transplant but can understand people thoughts as for example - i could have the HT now, 12 months later the new hairs look good but more hair has continued to fall out leaving a bald spot on top of my head which i again would get a HT to cover, But this is all easier said than done.

I've looked into minoxidil and finasteride and at first i thought well if i can take them as a tablet then ill do it (just find it easier and less time consuming) then i saw the side effects and wow i don't feel like risking any of them cancer, libido, poor ejaculation etc. if any can find a website giving you the odds of getting these ill happily look and may reconsider but as of what ive seen minoxidil and finasteride will likely (in time) half help with your hair problem but give you a problem with your manhood. :(

Good man posting the photos - not easy to do.

You sure look like you could end up a NW6 in 10-15 years. I had more hair than you 12 years ago and am now approaching NW4A with the potential of a 5A in the not too distant future (without meds).

You've only got so much donor hair and let me tell you it may not be enough to cover half of your head let alone all of it.

The problem with young guys is you want the NW1 or 1.5 look and anything less than that would be a disappointment. Contrast that with a 40 year old NW6 who would be delighted to get anywhere near a NW3. That's why the top docs generally avoid young guys not on meds.

Some docs would still do a procedure on you but what will they say in 10 years when you show them your abnormal look? They will bring out copies of the papers you signed which advised lifelong use of Propecia and the words "Sorry but we warned you this might happen".

I'd recommend you take a trip to Manchester and arrange to meet Mick from Farjo. Also contact Spex (see his website Spex Hair).

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Arh no sad times ahead by the sound of it. ill try to get in contact with Dr Farjo see if he can give me any advice. i would be happy to be at a N1.5 or 1.75 and i feel as im starting to come to understand more and more to having a HT that just getting one. ive got a few more questions is anyone is interested in answering it would be a reat help.

1. Can balding eventually stop say reach N2.5 (or any stage) and then stop?

2. Would anyone recommend me to start using Finasteride in tablet form?

3. Average amount of donor hair ?

4.if i have a HT and in 10 years more hair has fallen out leaving me at a N6 stage could i the shave my head bald (on a daily basis as this was my plan to do but i feel to young atm and would look thuggish) or would the HT show throught?

I'll be honest man, I think it's too early for a hair transplant, I'd wait it out a few more years to see where it could progress, save up money, maybe do the buzz cut and go from there. From the looks of it, you could possibly lose it all by 30, and when you go the transplant route, it'll bea one-and-done (maybe 2) and you'll be happy you "fixed" it all at once rather than chasing it for the next 10 years. And possibly, you might grow to dig the buzzed route, find yourself a beautiful wife, and not give a crap anymore. You have a decently shaped face with ears that don't stick out a mile, unlike me :) I say hold off and buy a cool car and nice sunglasses, you can pull that off..

Yeah i looked on the wiki page about side effects of finasteride, it mentions an increased risk of prostate cancer but it hasn't been fully proven. I'm hoping to speak to a doctor about it and maybe start using finasteride (need to investigate it a bit more). I would be happy to have a transplant now but i think i may wait for the hair to recede a little further then have a HT at the mid/front of my head, then after 3 years have another to fix the further mid/crown areas.

EDIT- Does anybody know who much its cost on a NHS prescription to propecia tablets or if you can purchase them anywhere else cheaper?

Edited by Zigler

• 2 weeks later...

Fin does not actually cause cancer, it has the ability to "mask" low readings of PSA which in turn can be harmful by the cancer turning into a high grade cancer. Which by studies if you look up is a rare case, but none the less does exist unfortunately.

Personally, I don't see how someone can claim that you'll go to a high level balding class. I think that's a little too premature to assume. From what I can see, you have fairly good hair in your crown, vertex and just generally behind your receding hairline. Maybe they're seeing something I'm not, but I'm not seeing miniaturization going on??

Anyways, I don't agree that it's too early, however, I think you'll want to set reasonable expectations and stay conservative with your hairline in case you do end up with more hair loss.

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

Hair transplant 5-22-2013 with Dr. Paul Shapiro at Shapiro Medical Group

Total grafts transplanted: 3222

*536 singles *1651 doubles * 961 triples,

*74 quadruples.

Total hairs transplanted: 7017

Non-Surgical Treatments:

*1.25 mg finasteride daily

*Generic minoxidil foam 2x daily

Good man posting the photos - not easy to do.

You sure look like you could end up a NW6 in 10-15 years. I had more hair than you 12 years ago and am now approaching NW4A with the potential of a 5A in the not too distant future (without meds).

You've only got so much donor hair and let me tell you it may not be enough to cover half of your head let alone all of it.

The problem with young guys is you want the NW1 or 1.5 look and anything less than that would be a disappointment. Contrast that with a 40 year old NW6 who would be delighted to get anywhere near a NW3. That's why the top docs generally avoid young guys not on meds.

Some docs would still do a procedure on you but what will they say in 10 years when you show them your abnormal look? They will bring out copies of the papers you signed which advised lifelong use of Propecia and the words "Sorry but we warned you this might happen".

I'd recommend you take a trip to Manchester and arrange to meet Mick from Farjo. Also contact Spex (see his website Spex Hair).

Only 6 or 7 % of MPB males reach NW7!

Even 23years old NW1 can end as NW6 in 15 years.

Why should 20-30 years old guy be happy with NW 2.5 or NW 3?

It doesnet fit his age, its not good looking?

I will never understand stupidity of advice: wait til you are at least 40.

And then what? You missed your best 20 years with NW3 or NW4 ?