HT booked, getting 2nd thoughts

Hi, I have a HT (fut method) booked with dr. Path in Bangkok for August. They estimate that I'll need 3000+ grafts. I'm now having second thoughts about it. When I booked it I was under the impression that I will be able to keep my hair at average length (4 inches) and this will be able to hide the recipient and donor area, I have since find out that they prefer to shave the recipient area, this will then force me to shave the donor area as well.

I have to be back at work 3 weeks after the opp.

Please have a look at my photos and let me know if you think a ht is worth while, I know I won't be able to hide the scar with only 3 weeks of hair growth, but the shame :) , might be worth it if the ht will be able to make a big difference.

(I'm 40 years old)

front.jpg.c56c38cd8d5572bf548ef85d30bf5216.jpg

back.jpg.0792a77e01587c98aa7a93c5cfa168cf.jpg

side.jpg.6472a5e35dce601ae4aea119506368ae.jpg

side2.jpg.629aaea2925c61199c77cb3ef36f440c.jpg

Shaving the recipient area is definitely not required. Doctors sometime recommend this because it makes their job easier....but then patients pay the price of looking funny and/or having to wait longer to get back to their routines.

BTW...3000+ grafts seems like a very large amount for you, considering you have a great deal of hair throughout. There seems to be 2 red flags already here...patient beware!!!

Best of luck!

I'd say 3000 sounds about right for a very dense frontal hairline..

But yeah, shaving it all down is sometimes preferred or required by some doctors. I believe it allows them to place the grafts more precisely. It is also said that it helps to prevent some shock loss.

If you get it shaved down, the HT will definitely be visible at 3 weeks. I am at 24 days post op right now, and the donor area is very, very apparent. I still have some redness in the recipient area, but that seems to be fading more everyday.

I allowed my doc to cut my hair any way he wanted for the procedure. Anything to get better results, right? Well.. maybe it will be worth it down the road, but the recovery is much worse, as I can't conceal anything.

3000 grafts sounds about right. You could even use more if you want to make it look denser, but I definitely wouldn't go any lower than that. As far is it being shaved. Who cares. Don't be ashamed of getting a hair transplant. I've been telling everyone that I had one and nobody has lashed out against me. Everyone has been saying nothing but positive things. Dr Path is a great Dr. and you will not regret it! How much were you quoted on for 3,000 grafts?

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

Hair transplant 5-22-2013 with Dr. Paul Shapiro at Shapiro Medical Group

Total grafts transplanted: 3222

*536 singles *1651 doubles * 961 triples,

*74 quadruples.

Total hairs transplanted: 7017

Non-Surgical Treatments:

*1.25 mg finasteride daily

*Generic minoxidil foam 2x daily

konior just posted a pic of a diffuse patient with 3500 grafts

he did not shave recipient

check it out:

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/142034-raymond-konior-m-d-3357-graft-hairline-restoration.html

That guy had had a previous procedure, so it's difficult to say he was 'diffuse'.

I've met Dr Konior and he said while he can do non-shave it is highly preferable to shave the recipient site. It minimises the chances of temporary and permanent shockloss.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Thanks for the reassuring posts, I will ask them to shave if it will make things easier.

Nick, they quoted me 92baht per graft (that will be +- 9200USD for 3000)

And 90baht per graft for more than 3000 grafts.

Well you are in great hands. I would think that since it's in Thailand, it would be much cheaper than that; but Path is a world class surgeon for sure. Keep us updated.

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

Hair transplant 5-22-2013 with Dr. Paul Shapiro at Shapiro Medical Group

Total grafts transplanted: 3222

*536 singles *1651 doubles * 961 triples,

*74 quadruples.

Total hairs transplanted: 7017

Non-Surgical Treatments:

*1.25 mg finasteride daily

*Generic minoxidil foam 2x daily

Hi, I have a question for patients who buzzed their hair before op.

I will get the recipient area shaved for the op, and want to know what length to buzz my hair so that the difference in length will not be too obvious after the op and at the same time will not leave the strip scar to exposed, when I get back to work after 3 weeks.

Did you buzz down to a #3 or #4?

Hi, I have a question for patients who buzzed their hair before op.

I will get the recipient area shaved for the op, and want to know what length to buzz my hair so that the difference in length will not be too obvious after the op and at the same time will not leave the strip scar to exposed, when I get back to work after 3 weeks.

Did you buzz down to a #3 or #4?

hey difffuse,

I think it's up to the doc to decide what length he/she wants your hair for the procedure. I had mine buzzed at a #6, but the doc eventually shaved it down to a #1 in the recipient and donor.

I evened it out with a #3 at two weeks, but it's still a little uneven. Now at 1 month post op, it's growing back, but you can still tell I had the HT done. Strip scar is still quite exposed and there is some redness in the recipient that I can't cover up.

If you don't want it to be noticed at 3 weeks, your best bet is to not buzz your hair at all.