BHT - does the hair "transform"??

Have another question, for which I have not found a satisfactory answer:

I have seen a lot of talk about BHT - Body Hair Transplants. However, I have not seen anything address what happens to hair that is transplanted from areas other than the head (beard, chest, legs, back, etc) once transplanted into one's head. That is, does it sort of "transform" into head hair? I mean, what good is it to transplant leg hair, that grows about 1/2 an inch long, or chest hair that only grows about an inch long, with different texture, into one's head??

I was actually wondering this too. Maybe if that is the case, beard hair would be the best to harvest due to it's seemingly endless growth phase.

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

Hair transplant 5-22-2013 with Dr. Paul Shapiro at Shapiro Medical Group

Total grafts transplanted: 3222

*536 singles *1651 doubles * 961 triples,

*74 quadruples.

Total hairs transplanted: 7017

Non-Surgical Treatments:

*1.25 mg finasteride daily

*Generic minoxidil foam 2x daily

Hairtoday,

Because hair transplant surgery works on a principle known as donor dominance, any donor hair characteristics remain the same after their transplanted. This is why DHT resistant hair retains its DHT resistant properties even when moved to balding areas of the scalp typically affected by DHT. As a result, body hair characteristics also remain the same even when transplanted. That said, I have heard that body hair can and sometimes does seem to grow a little longer on the scalp than it would typically in the body. As to why this may occur, I'm not sure.

The above question you ask is very valid. Frankly, a scalp full of only body hair most likely won't look very natural nor will it grow as long as scalp hair. Furthermore, body hair goes through shorter growth cycles and thus, a smaller percentage of transplanted body hair will be visible at any given time.

Ultimately, body hair is better used as "filler" hair between scalp hair to provide more density throughout the scalp. This is why it's often suggested that patients deplete their entire scalp donor hair supply prior to considering body hair.

Beard hair however, seems to be an exception since its characteristics are more similar to scalp hair.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Bill

Bill summed it up nicely! The donor dominance follicle principle holds true here, and body hair grafts will maintain their original characteristics.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.