Just can't sleep!

I am booked in to have my procedure in under 3 weeks time and to say i am nervous and cant sleep at night is an understatement. I keep questioning what am i doing? Will it look fake? What if the procedure fails? and many more!

I have wanted to improve my hair loss for about 8 years, however i have tried my best to wait for as long as possible, and in this time i have researched, stuck to meds and have tried to live a healthy lifestyle and even tried the shaved look which i hated and made me feel like a different person:(

Forward 8 years i am booked in for a procedure which i know would change my life around tenfold, that is how much hair loss has bothered me, don't get me wrong i trust my Doc and he's abilities, however the closer i get towards the procedure the more emotions i go through:confused:

Please tell me this is normal! Advice/Experiences much appreciated guys

The flip side is that if you don't do it you will wonder 'what if' for the next 10 years. That's the way I look at it.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

James,

I can still remember how I felt immediately before all 4 hair transplant procedures. I was filled with excitement and anxiety and my head was full of questions and dreams of seeing a fuller, thicker head of hair in the mirror. I honestly was having a hard time believing it was possible, especially since I've tried a number of "snake oil" lotions and potions previously with no success.

Your anxiety and excitement is normal. Having researched our community for a long time, I suspect you've done all the research you need to make an educated decision as to what's best for you.

All I can say at this point is try to do what you can and calm your nerves. Use this community for support and make sure your doctor answers all your questions and addresses any concerns prior to undergoing treatment.

I hope youll post your detailed experience and regular pictures so we can follow along with your progress :-).

Hang in there my friend,

Bill

I'm sort of in the same boat as you. I may be having surgery on the 24th of this month and am currently having a different set of emotions. I was on monoxidil for and finasteride for two years and I don't think that it even slowed down my hair loss. I have been off of it for about a year now. I have a meeting with Dr. Shapiro and Matt Zupan tomorrow, I hope all goes well.

As far as the surgery though, I really can't think of anything else that I could want than a nice set of hair.

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

Hair transplant 5-22-2013 with Dr. Paul Shapiro at Shapiro Medical Group

Total grafts transplanted: 3222

*536 singles *1651 doubles * 961 triples,

*74 quadruples.

Total hairs transplanted: 7017

Non-Surgical Treatments:

*1.25 mg finasteride daily

*Generic minoxidil foam 2x daily

James-

Had the same emotion before mine. I had done ridiculous amounts of research, spoke to countless patients, and even met some patients. All of my preparation didn't prepare me for those thoughts of almost backing out.

The night before, I remember being on the phone with my gf and telling her that I think I made a mistake and this is too vain for me. She calmly reminded me all the reasons as to why I was doing this in the first place and all the research I had done. I was going in over-prepared. That little support I got from her that night allowed me to go through with the choice to have a HT that I had made earlier.

The anxiety was still there, the what-if questions persisted...until I was having my new hairline drawn in and the shots to numb the area. Still today, one of the best decisions I made for myself.

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

The flip side is that if you don't do it you will wonder 'what if' for the next 10 years. That's the way I look at it.

That is a great way to look at it. The next ten years could be great if this works out well:)

James,

I can still remember how I felt immediately before all 4 hair transplant procedures. I was filled with excitement and anxiety and my head was full of questions and dreams of seeing a fuller, thicker head of hair in the mirror. I honestly was having a hard time believing it was possible, especially since I've tried a number of "snake oil" lotions and potions previously with no success.

Your anxiety and excitement is normal. Having researched our community for a long time, I suspect you've done all the research you need to make an educated decision as to what's best for you.

All I can say at this point is try to do what you can and calm your nerves. Use this community for support and make sure your doctor answers all your questions and addresses any concerns prior to undergoing treatment.

I hope youll post your detailed experience and regular pictures so we can follow along with your progress :-).

Hang in there my friend,

Bill

Thank you for the kind words and support Bill, i think i may have even researched to much if that is possible:eek:

My experience shall be shared from day one, to give a little bit back to the forum for what it has given me and also i think i may need the forums opinions/help going through the waiting/ugly ducking stage:)

James-

Had the same emotion before mine. I had done ridiculous amounts of research, spoke to countless patients, and even met some patients. All of my preparation didn't prepare me for those thoughts of almost backing out.

The night before, I remember being on the phone with my gf and telling her that I think I made a mistake and this is too vain for me. She calmly reminded me all the reasons as to why I was doing this in the first place and all the research I had done. I was going in over-prepared. That little support I got from her that night allowed me to go through with the choice to have a HT that I had made earlier.

The anxiety was still there, the what-if questions persisted...until I was having my new hairline drawn in and the shots to numb the area. Still today, one of the best decisions I made for myself.

Cheers for sharing your experience and i honestly believe i am to going in over-prepared, however if i get a result like yours i will be over the moon:)

I'm sort of in the same boat as you. I may be having surgery on the 24th of this month and am currently having a different set of emotions. I was on monoxidil for and finasteride for two years and I don't think that it even slowed down my hair loss. I have been off of it for about a year now. I have a meeting with Dr. Shapiro and Matt Zupan tomorrow, I hope all goes well.

As far as the surgery though, I really can't think of anything else that I could want than a nice set of hair.

Good luck with your meeting tomorrow, Dr Shapiro is up there with the best so i am sure you will have a positive outcome.

I found it really exciting and enjoyed the whole thing. The only nerves I had was about the end result - the traveling and the whole general experience was awesome.

Relax! I'm sure things will go smoothly.

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

I found it really exciting and enjoyed the whole thing. The only nerves I had was about the end result - the traveling and the whole general experience was awesome.

Relax! I'm sure things will go smoothly.

Cheers pal, gonna try and keep a positive mind heading into this. Hopefully after the procedure i can enjoy it.

I was nervous and anxiety-filled before my procedure too. What you're feeling is normal. But dang, it's worth it if you're under the care of a good doc, which I'm sure you are since you did the research.

The overall experience of the surgery wasn't nearly as tough as I thought, mostly fun actually. Plus the drugs are a nice touch. I dozed into a magical world of psychedelic colors and sounds (no joke) so my memory of the entire day is positive. I'm starting to wonder how I would take to LSD now, but I'll stick to enjoying my new hair.

Sam Spade

View my HT photo album

Very satisfied customer of Dr. Konior, Chicago

FUT, 3950 grafts, June 2012

Message me if you have any questions regarding my experience or Dr. K.