Another How Many Grafts/ Am I a Candidate Question

Right off the bat, I know I'm in a tough situation with the type of diffuse and progression of hair loss but this is causing me so much psychological stress and I can't stand how "aware" of it I always am and how withdrawn it has made me. I really just need to ask you well informed and helpful people what can be done and what I should do.

Here are some pictures and I look forward to your opinions and suggestions. I have had this in the back of my mind and am willing to part with the $ in order to get some sense of normalcy back.

My worst fear is that I would get a HT and then still be in the same or worse position. Because the position I am in now is not acceptable. Even if it were to stay exactly the same as it is now, I would shave it (which I can hardly bear the thought of). And if after the HT I was in the same position I am now it would be a never-ending nightmare as I would still want to shave it but then the scar would be visible for the world to see.

I am serious about having this done and it is something I must do if I can. I would do anything to just get this behind me, if I can be confident it will work out. I can only imagine getting back to normal life...

Here's some pictures for your enjoyment:

m3dlmYJh.jpg

QxBDZhoh.jpg

5xhRZX6h.jpg

HKbC0P0h.jpg

BWveBosh.jpg

****And just for good measure, here is one at its worst. This is after no shower so it's oily and after sleeping and basically just laying around on it in bad lighting (prepare yourself):

UZYhC9Lh.jpg

There's more pictures to be found here

Please let me know how many grafts it might take to achieve at least some decent density. I don't have to have a great hairline and am not looking for perfect hair, I just want decent coverage that's not totally see through and contrasting to the sides like it is, even if I don't have the hairline of a young person. I don't need that and can definitely live with a mature hairline or even the looks of a receded one. Just need coverage up top mostly.

I notice you're not on finasteride. It really is the best preventative measure out there and it would really be advisable to try it if you haven't already. Even if it is one or 2mg a week.

You're definately a candidate based on a dense looking donor.

You could go for something conservative like this guy:

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/170283-dr-deyarman-3008-grafts-age-29-a.html

or go all out with a megasession, aiming for 5-6,000 grafts in one hit.

Or how about a 2-pronged attack of 6,000 FUE spread over 2 procedures, 12 months apart.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Thanks guys, it's very reassuring to hear that I am not beyond help. I mean it might look like there's some hair there but with the diffuse loss I think I would lose all that area and as of now it's not even something you can go out in public with at that length. But it's the right length for using toppik but even that isn't really working well because it's so diffuse.

But that is very encouraging to hear that I seem to be a candidate.

u are deff a candidate, and you are an early norwood 6, id say about 5-6 k grafts ,, that is if all your existing hair falls out

The graft count is something I was wondering and was concerned about. Because if I'm a NW6 (and that's pretty much the entire MPB area right?), then that's the 200cm2 that they say is the area of MPB. So 5,000 grafts would be only 25cm2 if it's placed evenly, which I understand is still see through looking right? I know, it's not ALL about the hairs per cm2 but I'm just speaking generally... So, that's what I was worried about if getting enough grafts for some sort of coverage...

Donor definitely looks good champ.

Happy to hear you say that :) I thought already that I had at least average amount of donor.

I notice you're not on finasteride. It really is the best preventative measure out there and it would really be advisable to try it if you haven't already. Even if it is one or 2mg a week.

You're definately a candidate based on a dense looking donor.

You could go for something conservative like this guy:

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/170283-dr-deyarman-3008-grafts-age-29-a.html

or go all out with a megasession, aiming for 5-6,000 grafts in one hit.

Or how about a 2-pronged attack of 6,000 FUE spread over 2 procedures, 12 months apart.

I really would like to avoid taking finasteride if possible. If not for the sides, just for fact that it is a life long commitment. And if/when I did stop, then losing the hair finasteride maintained would have to be made up for with another HT anyway right?

Whether I will do all in one session or in multiple is I guess something I really need to think about... . Hopefully whatever doc I consult with will be able to guide me there. I like the idea of 2 FUE's but I think that would be considerably more expensive right? I do like the idea of no scar but I would have to figure out what makes the most sense there. Thanks for the good suggestion though.

I would definitely be satisfied with a result as good as that link you provided. And that is only 3000 grafts?? That just doesn't seem right? Maybe I am in a little worse position though than him but that is encouraging to see and I am happy for him!

I think I need to think about those options and try and figure what would be the best course for me.

Thank you all for your help and looking forward to more suggestions!

I think your hair looks promising. I would talk to Jotronic for a more professional opinion.

I would also take finasteride. With aggressive hairloss the way you (and I) have, you really should consider everythign in the arsenal. Fin will help you maintain the hair you have which will improve the result. And it's not really that hard, you just take a little pill once a day, it's like a vitamin. Otherwise you will get an HT and you'll continue losing hair...what if you turn into Ben Bernanke with transplanted hair on top? Using finasteride will attack the root of the problem.

Much appreciated help!

One thing I don't think I am understanding for some reason is the coverage achieved to the recipient area from the donor area. If I am bound to lose hair on the entire MPB area from front to crown like it looks like, then how can I get enough density to cover with, say- 5,000 grafts.

That would only break down to 25 fu's per cm2? And that is still very sparse coverage right?

Where would you say I am currently? About 20-25 cm2?

About the finasteride, I'm going to ask about that and how it is expected to work with diffuse loss in a separate thread if that's ok... right now just trying to understand what I am looking at as far as the procedure itself. But, yes I do want to ask about that as well and I will...

Much appreciated help!

One thing I don't think I am understanding for some reason is the coverage achieved to the recipient area from the donor area. If I am bound to lose hair on the entire MPB area from front to crown like it looks like, then how can I get enough density to cover with, say- 5,000 grafts.

That would only break down to 25 fu's per cm2? And that is still very sparse coverage right?

Where would you say I am currently? About 20-25 cm2?

About the finasteride, I'm going to ask about that and how it is expected to work with diffuse loss in a separate thread if that's ok... right now just trying to understand what I am looking at as far as the procedure itself. But, yes I do want to ask about that as well and I will...

You need something like 33-50% original density for it to look good.

Other factors include:

-Caliber of hair (thicker stranded hair is obviously best)

-Curly hair (can get away with lower density)

-Hair/skin colour contrast (black hair on pale skin not good)

-The number of 3 and 4 hair grafts

Obviously grafting 25 x 3 hair grafts gives 75 hairs per cm rather than 25 hairs if using single units.

The usual estimate is to put a grid over your thin area, measure the number of sq cm and multiply by 40. That should give you a good idea of what you might need for a reasonably dense outcome.

I really would like to avoid taking finasteride if possible. If not for the sides, just for fact that it is a life long commitment. And if/when I did stop, then losing the hair finasteride maintained would have to be made up for with another HT anyway right?

Whether I will do all in one session or in multiple is I guess something I really need to think about... . Hopefully whatever doc I consult with will be able to guide me there. I like the idea of 2 FUE's but I think that would be considerably more expensive right? I do like the idea of no scar but I would have to figure out what makes the most sense there. Thanks for the good suggestion though.

I would definitely be satisfied with a result as good as that link you provided. And that is only 3000 grafts?? That just doesn't seem right? Maybe I am in a little worse position though than him but that is encouraging to see and I am happy for him!

I think I need to think about those options and try and figure what would be the best course for me.

Thank you all for your help and looking forward to more suggestions!

You might be a NW5 now but could be a NW7 in 5 years...or maybe 15 years if you take Fin(?)

So the beauty is that you slow down additional loss and the need for any further procedures.

The USA is expensive as far as FUE goes, but in the case of Europe I do not believe the costs of say Dr Bisanga are a great deal more than for FUT.

You could get yourself a hairline with 3000 grafts, maintain the rest with fin/min, then maybe go in for a further 2500-3000 a couple of years later.

You need something like 33-50% original density for it to look good.

The usual estimate is to put a grid over your thin area, measure the number of sq cm and multiply by 40. That should give you a good idea of what you might need for a reasonably dense outcome.

Well, I kinda-sorta did my best to just quickly get a rough idea of the apparent total area that I am being affected by MPB. It seems to be ~19"x11". This is approximately 200 cm2.

So according to that basic guideline, 200cm2 x 40 = 8,000 grafts. Then that would provide 40cm2 which would be good coverage? (Assuming it was placed evenly) But I don't see how in the world I'm going to get that many grafts.

A couple posts in this thread suggested 5-6,000 grafts. In that case I suppose that the frontal 1/2 would be more dense (say 40cm2), and the back less dense (say 20cm2). Is that how it would work? Or some variation of that?

Again, I know there is more to consider than just the number of grafts but I am trying to just come to some basic idea..

I am also speaking as if the total area on top has no native hair with these numbers. As in if I lost all of it and was bare on top.

You might be a NW5 now but could be a NW7 in 5 years...or maybe 15 years if you take Fin(?)

That is a question that I had.. Because I am balding in this lovely diffuse pattern and it has progressed a bit, am I able to tell the extent of the area that will be affected by/ succumb to MPB? Or later could my sides/back drop more? Even though right now you can pretty much clearly see the line that separates the thinning areas from the areas left intact.

The USA is expensive as far as FUE goes, but in the case of Europe I do not believe the costs of say Dr Bisanga are a great deal more than for FUT.

Yeah, I really wish that FUE was not SO much more expensive.

You could get yourself a hairline with 3000 grafts, maintain the rest with fin/min, then maybe go in for a further 2500-3000 a couple of years later.

I just can't deal with the current density on the top. Even if fin did maintain it, It's unacceptable the way it is right now. Do you think it would look strange to have good coverage only in the front and then a bald middle and top? Assuming that's what you mean.

Thanks for your help and sorry for the question overload! :eek:

• 1 month later...

Hey KO, thanks for thinking of me and mentioning that!

I have certainly considered RU and almost pulled the trigger on it. But then, with the reliability of getting it and hearing of some users reporting heart issues, I just didn't think there was enough info out there to make a decision. But I sure like the idea of a topical anti androgen that works locally, rather than be absorbed systemically.. Just makes so much more sense.

But, I also wonder why in the world RU was abandoned in testing, I believe in phase two?

Far as CB, I don't know too much about it and the mechanism by which it works but aren't people having a hard time finding a good vehicle for it? Or what is the issue with it?

From my limited-knowledge point of view I just wish there was a safe, effective anti-androgen that works as an antagonist (or whatever) and basically competes with DHT at the receptor locally and not throughout the body. But I am not going to pretend I am knowledgeable enough to even really have a firm grasp on what I am saying and am just speaking generally..

Sent you a PM

For others: CB 03 01 is an androgen receptor antagonist that is effective locally, however once it enters the body and goes systemic, it is broken down into cortexolone, a safe compound that isn't an antiandrogen. You can learn about it at Cosmo Pharmaceuticals page, they are putting it through clinical trials right now. Since I can't post outside links, just search for it.

I really just hope that available treatments increase significantly before those of us who still have some sort of hair to maintain are able to maintain our hairs efficiently, thus increasing our donor density and even potentially being aggressive in our hairlines.

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

Hair transplant 5-22-2013 with Dr. Paul Shapiro at Shapiro Medical Group

Total grafts transplanted: 3222

*536 singles *1651 doubles * 961 triples,

*74 quadruples.

Total hairs transplanted: 7017

Non-Surgical Treatments:

*1.25 mg finasteride daily

*Generic minoxidil foam 2x daily